• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UAE seeks to build human settlement on Mars by 2117

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are expecting a bunch of oil to be under the surface of Mars they are going to be disappointed. Hope they don't cancel the settlement after finding that out

Z3K

Let's just hope the US doesn't fuck up another planet before the UAE or another country gets there though.

molnizzle

I'm a pretty committed atheist and all I wish is for religion to stay out of government. I sure hope radicalism is gone by then and that equality and tolerance are big parts of all religion but I don't want anything to do with eliminating a faith.

I don't want anything to do with eliminating a faith, but it'd be nice to leave all the crazies behind here on Earth. The continued spread of rational atheism is what's always excited me most about space travel.

Melon Husk

Red Mars said:
The Arabs who live out of Arabia are called Mahjaris, and the Arabs who came to Mars, the Qahiran Mahjaris. When they arrived on Mars a good number of them began to wander Vastitas Borealis (”The Northern Badia") and the Great Escarpment. These wanderers were mostly Bedouin Arabs, and they traveled in caravans, in a deliberate recreation of a life that had disappeared on Earth. People who had lived in cities all their lives went to Mars and moved around in rovers and tents. The excuses for their ceaseless travel included the hunt for metals, areology, and trade, but it seemed clear that the important thing was the travel, the life itself.

In practical terms Al-Qahira was the pan-Arab dream come alive, as all the arab nations had contributed money and people to the Mahjaris. The mix of Arab nationalities on Mars was complete, but in the individual caravsn it seperated out a bit. Still, they mixed; and whether they came from the oil-rich nations or the oil-poor ones didn't seem to matter. Here among the foreigners they were all cousins. Syrians and Iraqis, Egyptians and Saudis, Gulf Staters and Palestinians, Lybians and Bedouins. All cousins here.
Red Mars starts in 2026, these guys aren't plagued by ambition for sure... Dubai could afford to move their asses Mars right now if they wanted to fund a relocation program.

?

Hmmm, sounds like they want to set up some 10 star hotels there. Very exciting.

Mind you, with that timeline it is pretty possible. Whether UAE will exist is, especially in its current form, is an entirely different mattter.

Madouu

I wonder if some people get some kind of weird sense of satisfaction when they know the posts they're writing are going to cause, at best, a great sense of uneasiness in some readers and at worse, just plain disgust. Maybe that's what gets them off or maybe it's just ignorance? To be clear, I'm referencing the posts about islam and supposed lack of universities in arab countries.

On the subject of the thread, it's good to see more initiatives taken regarding space travel, wherever that comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom