• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber valued at $17 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЯAW

Banned
Uber might actually have a shot to become something great due to it's google connections (if Google's car try-outs will manifest into something). Still... Over valuated to the extreeeeem.

So how does this app work?

You say "I need a ride". And an Uber driver picks you up based on your GPS location. You're able to see exactly where all the drivers are and how long it will take them to pick you up.

The payment and everything is handled from your phone, so you don't have to give the driver any money. Its basically hail a driver, get in, get out.

Crowd sourced taxi service. Great idea.

Guevara

Killing cabs was a long bet and Uber largely nailed it. I think there is a bubble, but Uber is also going to be pretty valuable on the public market.

SimleuqiR

Hasn't Google Ventures been funding them?

I wouldn't be surprise if Google buys them out, or at least owns part of the company outright.

CrankyJay

Banned
You say "I need a ride". And an Uber driver picks you up based on your GPS location. You're able to see exactly where all the drivers are and how long it will take them to pick you up.

The payment and everything is handled from your phone, so you don't have to give the driver any money. Its basically hail a driver, get in, get out.

Sweet fucking Jesus....

AntoneM

It's just like a taxi service, except you can request a ride within the app.

And the driver (being not a taxi) most likely doesn't have insurance that will cover your injuries if there is an accident because you need commercial auto insurance for that.

sfedai0

Banned
Its great for metropolitan suburbs, like the NoVa/MD area where cabs arent ubiquitous. Add in GPS tracking, you dont have to be left in the dark or be waiting en eternity to see if a cab does show up. The only downside is the price is on par with cabs.

fugimax

Uber is easily worth this. If you live in a city with Uber, you know why.

Additionally, it's easy to see how they might expand into other "I take out my phone and someone provides me with a service" markets. If you think of what Uber is, generically, it's a massive service-for-hire platform that efficiently and economically matches supply and demand.

.GqueB.

Banned
Uber is one of those "why didn't I think of that" kind of ideas. It's so simple and has likely been done before but they nailed it.

psylah

Money no longer means anything. Again.

It's like Zimbabwe inflation up in here.
20081202_zimbabwe_inflation_rate_3jpg.jpg

Brb need to buy some eggs and milk from the corner store

Never heard of this app before but wait a second, this is not calling actual cabs right? you are getting picked up by random strangers?

Amory

Good for them, I fucking love Uber. I'll never use a dirty taxi with their high rates and rude drivers again.

zephervack said:
Never heard of this app before but wait a second, this is not calling actual cabs right? you are getting picked up by random strangers?
Yup, but they're background checked when they register to be a driver, and every single Uber driver I've ever had has been super friendly and their cars are always spotless. It's a great system they have going.

Deku Tree

I live in a city with Uber, and I see no need for it. Not interested. Yeah I guess it's cool to do everything by typing into smartphone now. Order a cab, adjust the temperature in your house, post on FB/Instagram, whatever. If I can choose, I'd always take a regular yellow cab with a fixed meter instead of Uber's crazy surge pricing model.

Killing cabs was a long bet and Uber largely nailed it. I think there is a bubble, but Uber is also going to be pretty valuable on the public market.

18 Billion dollars valuable? Dem multipliers.

What about insurance and safety and things like that?

Quite a jump from their last cash influx from Google.

Uber is one of those "I can't believe I didn't think of it myself, and now I'm going to go kill myself" apps.

17 billion? Damn, that's impressive. Good for them. Not living in a city, I've never used the service. I never heard of it until a thread last week. But that's pretty incredible.

There's a feedback system where drivers and passengers rate each other after every ride, so there's incentive for everyone to get along.

But yes, the first time someone rides with uber or the first time someone drives for uber, they are a total stranger in the network. They haven't been vetted by anybody except Uber, who apparently runs a background check on their drivers in Los Angeles, at least.

In LA, taking a clean Uber (they offer you water, gum, phone chargers, etc) is twice as cheap as the disgusting yellow cabs who often refuse to accept credit cards and have drivers that talk on bluetooth headsets the entire ride. I don't know if it's worth $17B, but hell, it's revolutionized public transit in a city that has next to none.
wtzgU.gif

Just make sure you don't use them when the rates are multiplied, or else you'll be asking yourself why there's a $100-$200 charge on your CC the following morning. Hasn't happened to me, but I've heard stories.

Guevara

Hasn't Google Ventures been funding them?

I wouldn't be surprise if Google buys them out, or at least owns part of the company outright.

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised either. Google is trying hard to differentiate from being an ad company. Uber would make sense (but they should have bought them earlier).

We can call the combined company Goober.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
There's a feedback system where drivers and passengers rate each other after every ride, so there's incentive for everyone to get along.

But yes, the first time someone rides with uber or the first time someone drives for uber, they are a total stranger in the network. They haven't been vetted by anybody except Uber, who apparently runs a background check on their drivers in Los Angeles, at least.

The non-vetting is going to come back and bite Uber in the ass.

KHarvey16

They sign up with uber and get paid through them. You request a ride, it shows you where they are on a map and they come pick you up. Once you arrive at your destination, you're billed through uber and then you rate the driver.

mech IFR

Uber is amazing. I use it all the time in NYC. Absolutely perfect for those times it's hard to grab a cab from mid-town (thurs/fri/sat evenings).

Acorn

So uh, how are they getting round insurance and having to gain a taxi license from local authorities?

Is it one of those "we assume all our drivers have it, nothing to do with us we just get paid" situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom