• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is being sued for allegedly sharing Ubisoft Store and Ubisoft+ user data with Meta

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
skull-and-bones-z-1024x576.jpg

As reported by Bloomberg Law, the class action complaint accuses the Assassin’s Creed publisher of sharing personally identifiable information (PII) with Facebook company Meta.

According to the complaint, players who use the Ubisoft website to buy a game on the Ubisoft Store or use it to subscribe to Ubisoft+ are having their PII sent to Meta through its Pixel user tracking software.

“Defendant does not disclose on the website that PII users’ personally identifying information would be captured by the Meta Platforms, Inc tracking Pixel utilised by defendant, and then transferred to Meta, thereby exposing the subscribers’ PII to any person of ordinary technical skill who received that data,” the complaint reads.
“Data sharing policies for a service or subscription is an important factor for individuals deciding whether to provide personal information to that service.”

The complaint claims that this practice is a violation of the Video Privacy Protection Act, which was originally introduced in 1988 to prevent video rental stores from sharing a member’s PII, because it could “specifically tie the identity of an individual” to their purchase history.

Following the growth of digital distribution, the Act was amended in 2013 to allow video rental companies, including the likes of Netflix, to share users’ PII with social network sites but only after the user consents.
The complaint against Ubisoft alleges that because Ubisoft doesn’t tell players it’s sharing their PII with Meta, it’s therefore violating the Video Privacy Protection Act, among others.

“Defendant purposefully implemented and utilized the Pixel, which tracks user activity on the Website and discloses that information to Facebook to gather valuable marketing data,” it claims.

“The Pixel cannot be placed on a website without steps taken directly by defendant or on behalf of defendant (e.g. by a website manager). The Pixel cannot be placed on the website by Facebook without the knowledge and cooperation of defendant.
“Defendant does not seek, and has not obtained, consent from PII users to utilise the Pixel to track, share, and exchange their PII with Facebook.”

The lawsuit has currently not yet received class action certification, but the plaintiffs are seeing a trial by jury and want financial compensation for everyone affected, as well as a court order instructing Ubisoft to either remove the Pixel from its website or get consent from its users before it shares their PII.

Wait until people find out what Microsoft and Sony do with your data. Everyone should be sued for sharing data. Every online game should be sued as well. I know Ubisoft sucks dick, but this aint a Ubisoft only thing.
The complaint against Ubisoft alleges that because Ubisoft doesn’t tell players it’s sharing their PII with Meta, it’s therefore violating the Video Privacy Protection Act, among others.

This is the key point.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm constantly amazed that people aren't using some sort of ad blocker that thwarts tracking pixels. They're tracking people everywhere and allowing companies like Meta and Google to build profiles of everything you do online.

I wonder if any of the people bringing this lawsuit use Facebook or Instagram?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
This is why I do not have a PSN, Steam, Microsoft sign in, I have always used my sons. I have never had The Facebook, or TokTok, or twitters or any other social media. I used my oldest son’s YouTube log in.

I do not like my private information, getting every page I click, targeting ads and all that. As this is not something I’m fond of.

I’m sure my damn phone listen to me even though I have Siri turned off and Alexa on my TVs and stuff, it still gathers info probably.

I don’t even have a personal email but the one the cable company set up.

Crazy how easy it is to get folks private information and viewing clicks.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

skull-and-bones-z-1024x576.jpg

That hole just keeps getting deeper, because of course they'd do something slimey like that. Take that you non-decent humans.

Ubisoft were one of the first to turn into a modern audience company, it's a framework for what is to come from all the big pubs who have jumped on this ship. Many are going to burn if they don't start putting changes in place.

Last edited:

Skelterz

A few individuals on this site were sticking up for that scummy leach monetisation manager the other day after he took some fire from some trolls, how do you feel about him now this company is finished who’s are the non decent humans now then 🤣.

Neon Xenon

And the hits don't stop coming, huh?

At this rate, I'm expecting an exposé with Ubisoft being involved in some kind of Money Laundering or Embezzlement scheme.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

“Defendant purposefully implemented and utilized the Pixel, which tracks user activity on the Website and discloses that information to Facebook to gather valuable marketing data,” it claims.
Sounds like an idea only a monetization director would think of.

Laptop1991

Doesn't surprise me with Ubisoft and their attitude to wards us gamers who bought their games, money all they've cared about for quite a while now, so to see that go full circle back on them is karma for me.

Top Bottom