• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UDON teams with Blockbuster to bring you more Street Fighter goodness!!!

<= Click for larger image.

Newsarama.com said:
STREET FIGHTER & UDON INVADE BLOCKBUSTER

by Benjamin Ong Pang Kean

Been to your local Blockbuster store lately? See anything…familiar?

Walk into one today and you'll not only be able to check out the latest DVD and videogame releases but UDON's Street Fighter as well.

UDON has created an exclusive title with Blockbuster, one of the world's leading providers of videos, DVDs and video games - the volume collects the first few issues of UDON's Street Fighter comic in a special Blockbuster Exclusive edition available only at Blockbuster stores around the country. Other than a new cover, the Blockbuster edition also includes the hard-to-get story first printed in Street Fighter #0, previously available only from UDON at comic conventions.

Also available are the newly released Street Fighter Anniversary game and the Nubytech SF Controllers featuring artwork by UDON.

The placement marks an interesting turn of events, as many publishers have seen the video chain as a beachhead of sorts, a key location to carry exclusive book variants of popular comics, not to mention the comic book tie in with the Nubytech controllers featuring UDON art are also some very attractive products to boot. Newsarama contacted UDON's Chief of Operations Erik Ko, asking him how this special deal came about.

"It’s all about timing," Ko told Newsarama. "And this is part of a big promotion to celebrate the release of the Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Edition Video Game...
Read the rest of the story here.

So much Street Fighter love! It's... it's too much! :D :D :D

shoplifter

I might stop down and grab it. It depends on how much "BLOCKBUSTER! BLOCKBUSTER!! BLOCKBUSTER!!!1!" is plastered all over it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is the controller the black/Akuma pad that I've seen pictures of but no listing for at EB or Gamestop?

I already pre-ordered the Chun-Li and Ken controllers already though...

As for the graphic novel....eh. I got all the comics and the GN anyway. I would have loved it if the U.S. SF Anniversary Collection had the GN already included for free though.

I'm actually thinking that I'll pick this up. I wanted to try the SF comic, but my shop didn't even get in #1... and that controller layout is wonderful.

capcontrol.jpg

So this is in shops right now? How much is it?

I think I'll swing by the local Blockbuster after class, see if they've got anything yet. ...If you're just there to buy something and not rent, for example the controller or the TPB, do you still need to be a member? I don't have my card with me.

Spike Spiegel said:
I think I'll swing by the local Blockbuster after class, see if they've got anything yet. ...If you're just there to buy something and not rent, for example the controller or the TPB, do you still need to be a member? I don't have my card with me.

Nope, you can buy whatever you want no questions.

Spike Spiegel said:
Cool. Now if I can just remember where all of the Blockbuster stores are. @_@

If you do manage to find it, just make sure you let us know how much it is lol. I didn't see that in the article anywhere.

CoryCubed

I'm putting up the endcap today on this. As I recall I believe they are either 24.99 or 29.99 there is no blockbuster/gamerush crap on the controllers though and depending on your store there may be a security sticker (I fought that battle at my store luckily I won)

AfroLuffy

The akuma controller is exclusive to blockbuster isn't it?

I planned on using my measly gamestop discount on him ;( but, if it's exclusive to blockbuster, maybe i'll swing by for it and the graphic novel.

They did have the controllers. Ken and Akuma. The things are really damn nice and come in a cool, hard holographic box. They were $24.99.

I picked up the Akuma one. Nice controller overall, although I do feel it's a little big.

I'm going to be using it mostly with my Dreamcast though... I have a Playstation controller adapter for that heh.

Neo_ZX

I remember buying the ASCII fighter pads for the DC and I hated them. The D-Pad was way too big and hard ;) I couldn't do any moves whereas it was easy as pie on the stock DC pad.

I don't really have small hands either. Hopefully these will be better.

I've been playing Double Impact on my DC with the pad. I'm quite happy with it. The buttons are responsive. The d-pad is one of those rolling-types (I'm not sure what they're called exactly). Far better than the DC and PS2 pads, at the very least. It seems a bit big when I hold it, but when I'm using it I don't mind at all. It's comfortable.

I'm happy with the purchase. Plus it's always fun watching Akuma do his pose when I move the controller around lol.

I don't feel it's that bad. Many controllers are around that price, and these are actually high quality and officially licensed.

I took a couple shots for those who care. I plan on getting the Chun-Li eventually. The designs aren't as lame as I expected... the image in the middle is one of those angle-animation things. If you move it around, they do their moves.

Click for the full size shots.

Comes with a comic book and what I assume are stickers.

vg260

Semjaza Azazel:

Thanks for the pics.
A couple questions if you don't mind:

What part of the country are you in? Did you get it at a normal blockbuster or one with a Game Rush?

Also, does the controller have vibration?

thanks!

No vibration, digital only.

I live in Chicago, got it at a local Blockbuster. We don't have GameRush here at all. The store only got six total: three Akuma and three Ryu.

hiryu

I picked up a Gouki and Ryu controller at my local Blockbuster last night and I live in a small town. They were just sitting there with all the other controllers. Very nice packaging. The controllers are pretty nice but not even close to a good stick. They also come with I think issue 7 and 8 of the comic book.

Oh, before I forget (and since I've got no better place to post them), here are the covers illustrations for Street Fighter #12 and Darkstalkers #1, available at comic retailers this November.

Cloudy

Banned
My regular BB had them and I got the Akuma one. One word for the pad and its packaging, SEXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

It does seem a bit big at first but I prefer that to hand cramping trying to use a tiny pad. The d-pad feels very nice but I hope it's durable. Oh and it was $24.99...

PS: Is the comic that comes with the pad the same as the one being sold seperately in the store?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, it may be time to go to BB then. Both EB and Gamestop say that the controllers were pushed back to the 16th. If I can get them earlier, screw that! :)

Cloudy said:
My regular BB had them and I got the Akuma one. One word for the pad and its packaging, SEXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

It does seem a bit big at first but I prefer that to hand cramping trying to use a tiny pad. The d-pad feels very nice but I hope it's durable. Oh and it was $24.99...

PS: Is the comic that comes with the pad the same as the one being sold seperately in the store?

I was there again today trading in FF:CC (so boring, I thought) with my Gamepass and I saw a seperate comic for $10. It's definitely not the one that came with my controller.

I picked up an Akuma pad today. Yes it does feel a little thick, but damn, the D-pad is so responsive. And the packaging is soooo nice, certificate of authenticity and all.

Neo_ZX

So has anyone seen these in Canada? I've been scouring every store in the city and I haven't seen a trace.

Also, are these the same as the Dreamcast ASCII pads? I hated those. Should I stop wasting my time?

Chrono

Banned
heh I stopped by my local game rush/blockbuster last friday and they were sold out of all the controllers except ONE Akuma one... and just now I was browsing gamestop.com and thought I'd post a topic here asking about the quality. :)

Hopefully that one controller is still there. I'll get it tomorrow morning along with a copy of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I picked up the Akuma one weeks back. The controller is really nice but after a while, I put in back in its packaging to display it :p

Grifter

Anyone been reading the Udon comics? What's the word?

Tried the pad. Still prefer Saturn's sleeker design and d-pad but this d-pad is decent. Feels a lil flimsy tho like it could stuck in 1 direction.

Top Bottom