• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC's Derrick Lewis saves Confederate flag-toting Hurricane Harvey victim

yd5LZjM.jpg
Ya, he doesn't care about a confederate flag

rjinaz

Seems like he's helping a lot of people. He's a hero. Anything else is inconsequential during a crisis. Wish more people were like this, volunteering in their free time.

rjinaz

Oh damn this thread's tone changed on a dime when everyone saw his Trump hat

Not related to this guy but thought I would point out that my Step Dad supports Trump and he's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. He helps people without even thinking about it and never complains or asks for anything in return. If you have the right skin. Because he's a racist and says horrible things like the people protesting should be gunned down and they should nuke the Middle East.

But like I said above, during a crisis all that matters is people getting help, they don't care who he supports, they just need help.

Boss Mog

Seems like he's helping a lot of people. He's a hero. Anything else is inconsequential during a crisis. Wish more people were like this, volunteering in their free time.

Exactly, in a crisis, none of that matters, it should just be about humans helping each other. There was also a boat with a confederate flag on it going around saving black people. There's obviously no GAF thread about that, but it's probably for the best as I'd hate to see a negative spin on a story about people helping each other in a crisis, especially by keyboard warriors who aren't currently dealing with the life or death situation of being caught in a natural disaster as severe as hurricane Harvey. So, good on Derrick Lewis and anybody else actually helping other people survive right now.

phaonaut

I get a feeling a lot of people in here don't know anything about Black Beast. I don't know if he honestly supports Trump, but I always took it as a joke. Most of what he says is for comedy effect on Ariels show.

Snoopycat

Banned
It's sad to see people insulting this man while he is out there doing good work, saving lives and helping people who are in trouble. Some of you really need to inspect yourselves because something has gone wrong for you.

Jezbollah

Look at that fucking obnoxious truck.

The Southerners really have some troubling complexes, don't they

Derrick Lewis is a good guy (as area all the others helping others in the Houston area). If you were there needing rescue, you wouldnt give a damn about the truck. Have some respect.

J-Skee

Not related to this guy but thought I would point out that my Step Dad supports Trump and he's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. He helps people without even thinking about it and never complains or asks for anything in return. If you have the right skin. Because he's a racist and says horrible things like the people protesting should be gunned down and they should nuke the Middle East.

But like I said above, during a crisis all that matters is people getting help, they don't care who he supports, they just need help.

0 to 100 real quick.

NoName999

So because Lewis is a Trump supporter, the racist white guy is not going to learn anything from this. He's just going to assume that one of the few "good ones" saved him.

So ultimately, what was the point of this topic?

Not that this matters in this topic. Because apparently the guy with the Yoshi avatar who insulted truck drivers is a FAR more important issue it seems.

Vert boil

You guys shouldn't take the Trump hats literally. Derrick is a glorious wind up merchant.

He's said multiple times that he didn't vote last year and once he realised just how shitty Trump was he dropped the Trump shtick.

Mesousa

Banned
You guys shouldn't take the Trump hats literally. Derrick is a glorious wind up merchant.

He's said multiple times that he didn't vote last year and once he realised just how shitty Trump was he dropped the Trump shtick.

Thats gonna make them hate him even more lol.

So because Lewis is a Trump supporter, the racist white guy is not going to learn anything from this. He's just going to assume that one of the few "good ones" saved him.

So ultimately, what was the point of this topic?

Not that this matters in this topic. Because apparently the guy with the Yoshi avatar who insulted truck drivers is a FAR more important issue it seems.

Sometimes it's nice to just see people do nice things.

NoName999

Thats gonna make them hate him even more lol.

Can confirm. I already despise him now.

Sometimes it's nice to just see people do nice things.

I mean ignoring the fact that we have plenty of people doing the right thing for hurricane victims, I can't help but think that Lewis is going to be the next black champion for white moderates/centrists to point to and say "Why can't you be more like this guy?" Like they did with that blues singer.

NoName999

We'll never break the cycle of hate if people can't look past someone's views and beliefs in a time of need.

1) Technically if this confederate supporter died, the cycle of hate would be broken because he would be dead and unable to continue hating people. lol

2) Way to assume that I'm a monster and that I wouldn't help him. I would have helped him too. And then point out the fact that he was saved by someone who he viewed as a mindless, inferior savage. And that the people he viewed as civilized were doing everything in power to keep him from getting aid.

I'm not entirely concerned with Lewis' political beliefs. I believe he's a provacteur and being facetious about supporting Trump, but that's really not the point. He's out there saving lives and that's both newsworthy and admirable.

Good on him for saving people.

His boy wants to take a billion away from FEMA funding for his stupid wall so he should be helping out in any way he can.

Boss★Moogle;247683122 said:
Exactly, in a crisis, none of that matters, it should just be about humans helping each other. There was also a boat with a confederate flag on it going around saving black people. There's obviously no GAF thread about that, but it's probably for the best as I'd hate to see a negative spin on a story about people helping each other in a crisis, especially by keyboard warriors who aren't currently dealing with the life or death situation of being caught in a natural disaster as severe as hurricane Harvey. So, good on Derrick Lewis and anybody else actually helping other people survive right now.

Such an awesome post. 100% agree with everything you said.

Top Bottom