• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Being from an ethnic minority background does not provide a defence to racially abusing someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-charged-b2582083.html?utm_source=reddit.com

A Black woman has been charged after using the n-word in a tweet to another Black woman, The Independent has learned.

Jamila Abdi, 21, was having a discussion about a football match on X (formerly known as Twitter) on 27 August 2023 and used the n-word to refer to Black footballer Alexander Isak.

“I’m so p***** off let me get my hands on that f**** n***a,” Ms Abdi, who lives in London, wrote.

SJRB

Gold Member
Awa4o98.jpeg

4D chess move right there: charge every black person using the n-word

John Bilbo

I've seen videos from England of police questioning whether someone is praying in their thoughts and getting arrested when saying yes.

Thought crime is real.

RAÏSanÏa

charged under the Communications Act of 2003

After being questioned. Wonder what that interview was like and if it will be used in court.
Says she had a court date on the 8th of Aug. Wonder how that went and if it was thrown out.

The byline and correspondent title for the article is an unintentionally hilarious. Nadine White, Race Correspondent. It's hard to believe this isn't a bit.

Lumyst

car sliding GIF

My country is an utter joke now.

George Orwell didn't write plans on how to govern. Morons.

That's all I have to say.

In light of tracing the source of today's woke ideology back to the 1960's, I skimmed through a book on my brother's bookshelf written in the 1960s titled "The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition." The author called Orwell an "anti Utopianist."

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In light of tracing the source of today's woke ideology back to the 1960's, I skimmed through a book on my brother's bookshelf written in the 1960s titled "The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition." The author called Orwell an "anti Utopianist."
Yes. Utopianism is inherently dystopian in practice.

Humans are messy and fallible creatures. The only way to carve a path to utopia on Earth is through blood—mass murdering and disappearing and reeducating and threatening the population until they conform to the utopian blueprint. But it will only ever be a facade since human nature always prevails. And since it can never be achieved, the rounds of mass murder and oppression to remove undesirables and nonconformists will never end as long as the desire to achieve utopia remains. See: communism and fascism in the 20th century.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
UK..........mean tweets getting you arrested is dumb. No freedom of speech and cops willing to enforce the draconian laws.

It's pretty brutal here in the UK.

I bring up this example because of how harsh it is.

Short version. Girl's boyfriend dies. In a post on Instagram, she copy and pastes the lyrics to a Snap Dogg song, which has the N word. She's white, but she wasn't using the word in a hateful way. However, the context didn't matter. Just using that word got her dragged to court and charged with a hate crime.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

Short version. Girl's boyfriend dies. In a post on Instagram, she copy and pastes the lyrics to a Snoop Dogg song, which has the N word. She's white, but she wasn't using the word in a hateful way. However, the context didn't matter. Just using that word got her dragged to court and changed with a hate crime.

I opened that article and it was not about Snoop Dogg but Snap Dogg so I thought wait is this real and it is :D

Trilobit

Short version. Girl's boyfriend dies. In a post on Instagram, she copy and pastes the lyrics to a Snoop Dogg song, which has the N word. She's white, but she wasn't using the word in a hateful way. However, the context didn't matter. Just using that word got her dragged to court and changed with a hate crime.

Where are the lines drawn, can you post the song on your youtube channel? Or what happens if you use the word in a book you're writing?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I opened that article and it was not about Snoop Dogg but Snap Dogg so I thought wait is this real and it is :D

Bollocks. Stupid phone. Thanks for the tip. I'll edit it.

Where are the lines drawn, can you post the song on your youtube channel? Or what happens if you use the word in a book you're writing?

I honestly have no idea. The way the UK is headed you could probably could expect the police to kick down your door in a dawn raid.

Last edited:

Tams

Bollocks. Stupid phone. Thanks for the tip. I'll edit it.

I honestly have no idea. The way the UK is headed you could probably could expect the police to kick down your door in a dawn raid.

And yet they field riot officers who get toppled over with one kick.

And as sad as it is that I have to state this: no, officer, I'm not advocating/condoning rioting and harming police officers. Thank you for reading my Mongolian basket weaving blog.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-charged-b2582083.html?utm_source=reddit.com

A Black woman has been charged after using the n-word in a tweet to another Black woman, The Independent has learned.

Jamila Abdi, 21, was having a discussion about a football match on X (formerly known as Twitter) on 27 August 2023 and used the n-word to refer to Black footballer Alexander Isak.

“I’m so p***** off let me get my hands on that f**** n***a,” Ms Abdi, who lives in London, wrote.
There's always been a resentment surrounding that word with certain people and the perception of fairness. "Well, if I don't get to say it, then no one should be able to say it!" While I understand why people might think that way, I think the better way of looking at things is "well, if I don't get to use slurs about other groups of people, no one should use slurs about me." That makes more sense to me, and still acknowledges the fairness issue that led to the original concern.

But of course, no one should ever be arrested or fined by their government for using a word. That's authoritarianism.

YCoCg

I only ever read about this stuff online, if I stayed offline I'd never know about silly stuff like this. Feels like the old rumours where police later in the month would purposely seek out any bullshit to pump up their numbers, the easier the better.

Denton

UK has become one of the most pathetic countries on earth. Which is impressive given where it was just 150 years ago.

I give it 50 years before it either collapses or becomes islamic state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom