• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK chip giant ARM developing GPU in Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member

UK chip giant ARM is developing a graphics processor unit (GPU) in Israel that will compete with Nvidia and Intel, sources familiar with the matter have told "Globes." ARM is estimated to be employing about 100 chip and software development engineers, in its global graphics processing group at its development center in Ra'anana. At this stage, ARM is reportedly engaged in graphic processing for the video game market, and at the same time - as was the case with with Nvidia - the technology could also be used for AI processing, if and when ARM decides to fully enter the field.

ARM’s hardware teams in Ra'anana oversee the development of many components of these GPUs, including the flagship Immortalis GPU, while the Israeli software teams develop software interfaces for external graphics engines developers including Vulkan and OpenGL, for game developers in large companies and startups. ARM’s Israeli office also deals with software development and development tools, cybersecurity components to protect chip activity, as well as sales and service teams for Israeli chip companies that work with ARM.

ARM’s teams in Israel work with startups like Hailo, which has developed an AI chip installed mainly in security cameras. Sources say that the development center assisted Hailo, shortly after its inception, to conduct programming tests, which ultimately helped it to raise $16 million in early-stage financing. Another Israeli company that collaborates with ARM is serial entrepreneur Moshe Tanach’s NeuReality. The company, together with ARM and AMD, has developed hardware that eliminates the use of Nvidia's expensive servers, which can cost up to $500,000, and saves on electricity. NeuReality's 7 nm chip uses ARM’s Neoverse technology and is designed for complex AI processing operations at data centers and with end devices.

The good news is that there will be more competition in the GPU space. The bad news is that it's focused on AI.
Maybe they can make a version for PC gamers, with fewer Tensor cores and more shader units. But that is probably just wishful thinking.

cormack12

Gold Member
German-armwrestler-Matthias-Schlitte-Melbourne.jpg

Giant arm you say

Holammer

Friend mentioned rumours about this the other day, I thought we'd see a 4-way Mexican stand-off in the GPU space.
Turns out it's not a consumer chip then, bleh.

StereoVsn

I doubt it will go to pc ever. There is a reason matrox etc. Dropped out, market doesn't support that many players.
Well, PC now days is blurred with ARM based systems for Windows and Linux.

You are right though that this isn’t likely to be in a traditional x86 desktop or laptop.

Bashtee

Well, PC now days is blurred with ARM based systems for Windows and Linux.

You are right though that this isn’t likely to be in a traditional x86 desktop or laptop.
Actually interesting question. If they want to sell dedicated GPUs for HPC, they would have to support x86 systems, too. The market share is too large to ignore it. But HPC isn’t gaming, and I don’t know if they can use their knowledge from mobile gaming for this.

StereoVsn

Actually interesting question. If they want to sell dedicated GPUs for HPC, they would have to support x86 systems, too. The market share is too large to ignore it. But HPC isn’t gaming, and I don’t know if they can use their knowledge from mobile gaming for this.
ARM is pushing hard into HPC/Hyperscaler market. So I can see them offering ad-in cards for ARM server systems that the major ARM based server vendors could sell or MS/Google/Amazon could offer in the cloud.

I don’t see this making into x86 ecosystem, but it would be pretty interesting if it did.

Last edited:

Drew1440

ARM already have a GPU called MALI., wich was originally designed and developed in Trondheim, Norway. ARM acquired them in 2006.
Thought that was the case, I'm suprised they didn't aquire Imgtech/PowerVR,. Since they also made plans to enter the data center market.

That's one way to guarantee that sweet geopolitical protection.
Was my first thought as well. For Israeli interests, this is great news. Congrats to whoever made it possible over there. For the rest of the collective west, this seems like an unnecessary risk, looking at the current geopolitical situation.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
In Israel? Half the idiots in America will start throwing away their phones then.
Don't tell them that Israeli tech is basically standard in every phone today. Or how big the Apple dev center is here, not to mention the head of of Apple tech devision is Israeli.

Last edited:

tommib

Don't let them know that Israeli tech is basically standard in every phone today. Or how big the Apple dev center is here, not to mention the head of of Apple tech devision is Israeli.
Israel is a world class tech hub. I work in health care. Half of our technology is being engineered in Tel Aviv. The antisemitics are for a rough awakening if they think the west will give up on Israel because of Islamic fundamentalists.

Drew1440

In Israel? Half the idiots in America will start throwing away their phones then.
People were actually cancelling their Sky/Directv subscriptions because they used smart card technology from Israel (NDS Videoguard, Which is now part of Cisco)
Intel also had an R&D department that designed the Pentium M processors, which evolved into the Core architecture.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Don't tell them that Israeli tech is basically standard in every phone today. Or how big the Apple dev center is here, not to mention the head of of Apple tech devision is Israeli.

*insert rant about Israel here*
Posted from my iPhone

Topher

Gold Member
People were actually cancelling their Sky/Directv subscriptions because they used smart card technology from Israel (NDS Videoguard, Which is now part of Cisco)

The vast majority of "people" have no clue about where any tech in their devices come from and they don't care.

yurinka

Being ARM I assume this won't be a normal GPU for gaming or AI.

Being Israel, very likely will be for some military or intelligence agency stuff. Maybe a GPU for drones, jets, warships, servers, etc.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Thought that was the case, I'm suprised they didn't aquire Imgtech/PowerVR,. Since they also made plans to enter the data center market.
Yeah, about PowerVR…

Imagination Technologies Limitedis a British semiconductor and software design company owned by Canyon Bridge Capital Partners, a private equity fund based in Beijing that is ultimately owned by the Chinese government. ”

Private Equity coupled with CCP. Not sure if you can get more dystopian than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom