• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC Cheating Report Released. Looks Bad. Probably Won't Get Memphis'ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...vestigation-says-advisers-pushed-sham-classes

ESPN said:
A report commissioned by the University of North Carolina says school academic advisers steered athletes into sham classes over an 18-year period but does not directly implicate coaches or athletic administrators in the scheme.

The report, released Wednesday, says academic advisers in North Carolina's athletic department colluded with a manager in the African and Afro-American Studies department for student-athletes to take classes to boost their GPAs and keep them eligible in their respective sports.

The classes, in place from 1993 to 2011, were overseen by Debby Crowder, the longtime manager in the African and Afro-American Studies department, and later by the department chairman. They allowed a student to write a paper of at least 10 pages rather than attend lectures or meet with professors. The papers were graded by Crowder, who was not a professor. They typically earned an A or B-plus grade.

Investigators found a number of academic advisers saw these classes as "GPA boosters," according to Wainstein.

"Coaches knew there were easy classes," said Wainstein, who added that there was no evidence that coaches or administrators, other than those in APSPA, knew Crowder was grading the course rather than a professor.

For those note familiar with this:
Academic scandal at UNC-Chapel Hill involving basketball and football programs.
UNC Student Athlete writes daft 10-sentence final paper, gets an A- (Paper Inside)

Well holy crap, I didn't expect anything to actually come out of this investigation since the original issues were reported 5 years ago. This ain't looking good for UNC. However, with enough grey area I'm betting their Basketball program doesn't see any super harsh penalties and they aren't going to take any banners away. Which of course, is bullshit since they stripped Memphis's Final Four and entire season with no hard evidence and only a "something didn't smell right" feeling. For reference: they didn't even explicitly name Derek Rose in their final report and, hilariously enough, that report came after they had declared him eligible to play earlier in the year.

I've been looking for what's happened to Mary Willingham (the whistle blower) and can't find anything specific, only vague mentions of demotion and harassment from non-university people. The only other thing mentioning her is that she has filed a lawsuit about being mis-treated after initially reporting her findings.

Are there any former UNC grads on this board? What do you guys think of this whole thing? How much do think this exact thing goes on at other schools? I feel like it's everywhere and is really, really sad. Athletes are recruited to play sports and are told over and over that receiving no pay but "getting a free education is more than enough!", except that when they graduate they are leaving with only worthless degrees and concussions to show for it.

_______

Oh hey, and it not so awful news, Bruce Pearl is back in the college basketball world and is already looking to make things more awesome again. Youtube: Basketball Classroom takover. Cringeworthy? Yes. Calling his basketball practice "Pearl Jam"? 1000% awesome. It's going to be fun watching him coach again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Embarrassing, but at least it has a good academic program too. There are some football and basketball teams masquerading as schools where every student is getting a shitty education.

kick51

Banned
Now lets get a report on the whole student body and the increase in bathroom trips during tests since the proliferation of smart phones.

Big-E

American universities are a little weird in that they offer way more degrees than Canadian ones. Watching college football and basketball is weird some times as they highlight some of the majors and they are things that we would only have at vocational colleges if that. Sham courses probably happens throughout the NCAA and I hope this changes things.

kick51

Banned
American universities are a little weird in that they offer way more degrees than Canadian ones. Watching college football and basketball is weird some times as they highlight some of the majors and they are things that we would only have at vocational colleges if that. Sham courses probably happens throughout the NCAA and I hope this changes things.

They should make sports its own thing and drop the pretense altogether. Anyone who went to a big 10 (or any school ever?) can tell you that the athletes could not give less of a fuck about their education.

andycapps

They should get a LOIC from the NCAA and have post-season bans for about 5 years, reduction in scholarships, and wipe out all wins from last 5 years at least. I do not expect any of this to happen, it's going to be a slap on the wrist. The NCAA is losing authority day by day and they don't have the political clout to punish this how it should be.

They should make sports its own thing and drop the pretense altogether. Anyone who went to a big 10 (or any school ever?) can tell you that the athletes could not give less of a fuck about their education.

Football and men's basketball? For the most part, absolutely.

But other athletes? Definitely not the case.

Kalnos

Banned
They should get a LOIC from the NCAA and have post-season bans for about 5 years, reduction in scholarships, and wipe out all wins from last 5 years at least. I do not expect any of this to happen, it's going to be a slap on the wrist. The NCAA is losing authority day by day and they don't have the political clout to punish this how it should be.

Even if they do something like this they will pull a Pedo State in like 2 years and reverse it all.

Can't wait to talk to my coworker when he gets in, graduate of unc in the mid 90s. Ha. Talk about embarrassing for such a well regarded school. Love how rather than just ripping the bandaid off, this has been a festering sore for five years now. My wife chose against grad school there, thankfully.

liquidtmd

Banned
does not directly implicate coaches or athletic administrators in the scheme.

If no-ones implicated no-ones responsible for the scheme content.

If no-ones responsible for the scheme content, why the fuck are they employed?

Of course I am aware thats how these faux shock reports play out but still.

Kaladin

I'm pretty sure this happens at any school in the US where there is a prolific sports team. UNC is just the first to be publicly outed on this level.

There are over 420,000 NCAA athletes, only around 10,000 can even dream about going pro. The other 410,000 give many fucks about their education. Even correcting for the fraudulent grades, athletes in the aggregate academically outperform the student body at large.

This is a scandal that should be dealt with and elite athletes should be held to the same standards as the rest of the student body (there are other options to go pro out there for most of them,) but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

UNC grad here. Needless to say I'm disappointed the actions of a handful of people tarnished the academic reputation of my alma mater. Even when I was an undergrad, everyone know that Af-am courses were a joke and an easy A so it's not very surprising. That being said, I don't think advisors pushing students toward courses that historically have out higher grades is deserving of any sanctions. Now if the report revealed that player's grades were changed only I keep them eligible, that would be a much bigger issue. But as of right now I only see it as taking advantage of department that did not have the academic standards followed by the rest of he university.

slit

Embarrassing, but at least it has a good academic program too. There are some football and basketball teams masquerading as schools where every student is getting a shitty education.

I want you to name them right now so people get mad at you. :p

Kaladin

UNC grad here. Needless to say I'm disappointed the actions of a handful of people tarnished the academic reputation of my alma mater. Even when I was an undergrad, everyone know that Af-am courses were a joke and an easy A so it's not very surprising. That being said, I don't think advisors pushing students toward courses that historically have out higher grades is deserving of any sanctions. Now if the report revealed that player's grades were changed only I keep them eligible, that would be a much bigger issue. But as of right now I only see it as taking advantage of department that did not have the academic standards followed by the rest of he university.

That is part of the issue, there are sample papers out there that are only 1/3 of a page long that still got an A. They also say nearly half the students in those classes were athletes.

Mary Willingham isn't someone you should trust. She is a known liar and plagiarist. That story was fabricated by her to push her agenda.

Owensboro

There are over 420,000 NCAA athletes, only around 10,000 can even dream about going pro. The other 410,000 give many fucks about their education. Even correcting for the fraudulent grades, athletes in the aggregate academically outperform the student body at large.

This is a scandal that should be dealt with and elite athletes should be held to the same standards as the rest of the student body (there are other options to go pro out there for most of them,) but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Absolutely true. I knew many Track and Field, Tennis, and Women's Softball players in college and all of them absolutely gave a shit about school and were super thankful they got assistance through scholarships (at least, the ones who got scholarships) to go. However, that didn't change the fact that if looked around my class on the first day and recognized a football or basketball player I did a little celebration since I knew it was going to be an easy A. This was especially awesome considering my stupidly hard engineering major.

But you can't just treat the problem without treating the symptoms of the problem. Why were they pushing students towards easy classes instead of getting them academic assistance? Why were the students not simply failed and dismissed from their sports teams? Why did people who had knowledge of the department and it sub-standard practices not do anything about it until this one person blew the whistle? And then after that, why did the administration deny, deny, deny everything and try to drag the whistleblower's reputation through the mud (see all the questions about plagiarism with her final collegiate thesis).

This whole thing kind of makes me think of another random point: Perhaps some of these students are pushed into these incredibly easy classes in order actually prepare them for their professional career. I'm talking about the guys guaranteed to go pro here. You get drafted by the NBA and NFL based on how well you play against good competition. You only get good competition in college sports, and can't play them unless you are academically eligible to do so. If you don't play, your draft stock and potential earnings are affected. For the very, very top, you could argue they are actually helping them in a weird round-about way. For a while I've thought that you should be able to take those players who are expected to get drafted by various professional sports and, like a gifted students program picks out kids to enroll in advanced classes, pick them to train for their eventual profession: basic math (account balancing, investing, money management), Public Relations (how to deal with interviews, the marketing machine, how to create a brand, etc...) and anything else related. It would't be a crazy prestigous degree, but it would actually be preparing them for their post-college careers more than what currently happens.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't wait for an investigation like this one to hit High Schools.

High school diplomas are almost worthless. College diplomas are needed for almost anything white collar nowadays.

Absolutely true. I knew many Track and Field, Tennis, and Women's Softball players in college and all of them absolutely gave a shit about school and were super thankful they got assistance through scholarships (at least, the ones who got scholarships) to go. However, that didn't change the fact that if looked around my class on the first day and recognized a football or basketball player I did a little celebration since I knew it was going to be an easy A. This was especially awesome considering my stupidly hard engineering major.

But you can't just treat the problem without treating the symptoms of the problem. Why were they pushing students towards easy classes instead of getting them academic assistance? Why were the students not simply failed and dismissed from their sports teams? Why did people who had knowledge of the department and it sub-standard practices not do anything about it until this one person blew the whistle? And then after that, why did the administration deny, deny, deny everything and try to drag the whistleblower's reputation through the mud (see all the questions about plagiarism with her final collegiate thesis).

This whole thing kind of makes me think of another random point: Perhaps some of these students are pushed into these incredibly easy classes in order actually prepare them for their professional career. I'm talking about the guys guaranteed to go pro here. You get drafted by the NBA and NFL based on how well you play against good competition. You only get good competition in college sports, and can't play them unless you are academically eligible to do so. If you don't play, your draft stock and potential earnings are affected. For the very, very top, you could argue they are actually helping them in a weird round-about way. For a while I've thought that you should be able to take those players who are expected to get drafted by various professional sports and, like a gifted students program picks out kids to enroll in advanced classes, pick them to train for their eventual profession: basic math (account balancing, investing, money management), Public Relations (how to deal with interviews, the marketing machine, how to create a brand, etc...) and anything else related. It would't be a crazy prestigous degree, but it would actually be preparing them for their post-college careers more than what currently happens.

We didn't deny deny deny. Actually, we've spent millions of dollars on these self imposed investigations. The total is up to 6 now I think. Most schools would have just swept it all under the rug and not done any deeper probing. I agree that "student-athlete" is a sham, especially at more rigorous universities and the athletes would be better served learning skills that would suit them in their career path.

3rdman

LOL This is a scandal??? This is par for the course...The fact of the matter is that there is more money to be made on the backs of these athletes that there simply is NO WAY that the school would keep them from playing.

Also, you think there are other options to going pro??? First of all, that is not necessarily so...the NBA, NFL and the NCAA occlude to prevent kids from going to the prose from High School. Lebron was the last...The rule now is that they have to play 2 years in college before they are allowed to work for themselves. Secondly the NCAA, NBA, and NFL are actively preventing any reform because monetarily it would cost them dearly...the NFL and NBA are essentially enjoying a completely free farm system and a system free of liability.

This whole situation is corrupt and the feigned outrage seems to always overlook the institution that has made this a commonplace occurrence.

LOL This is a scandal??? This is par for the course...The fact of the matter is that there is more money to be made on the backs of these athletes that there simply is NO WAY that the school would keep them from playing.
That it's par for the course is part of the scandal.

Also, you think there are other options to going pro??? First of all, that is not necessarily so...the NBA, NFL and the NCAA occlude to prevent kids from going to the prose from High School. Lebron was the last...The rule now is that they have to play 2 years in college before they are allowed to work for themselves. Secondly the NCAA, NBA, and NFL are actively preventing any reform because monetarily it would cost them dearly...the NFL and NBA are essentially enjoying a completely free farm system and a system free of liability.

This whole situation is corrupt and the feigned outrage seems to always overlook the institution that has made this a commonplace occurrence.
Baseball, hockey, and soccer players have clear paths to go pro outside of college (actually, those are usually the preferred paths,) and while it's nowhere near as developed as the path for those sports, basketball players can go to the D-League or Europe to play until they're 19 and a year out of high school. Sheer numbers-wise, perhaps I shouldn't have used "most" since there's no path for football players, but that's a gap to be filled, not an excuse to let athletes slide past the academic requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom