• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unchained Blades |OT| Reign In Heaven or Serve In Hell [PSP: out now! | 3DS: someday]

cj_iwakura

uc1.jpg

Unchained Blades is a dungeon-crawling title made by FuRyu; a large compilation of many creative minds to bring the PSP and the 3DS one heck of an RPG.

It's currently available on the PSN and is both Vita and PSP compatible, for $29.99.
(You'll need a PS3 to transfer it to a Vita, so uh, borrow a friend's for an hour or so if needed.)

The 3DS release is TBA, but expected to be soon.

Comparison screens will follow if necessary.

(The PSP version displays a map over the dungeons, while I assume the 3DS version will have all that on the bottom screen.)

uc6.jpg

In a world inhabited by mythical beings, where colossal labyrinths called Titans tower over the land, there's a legend that any being who can approach the Goddess Clunea high in the sky shall have a single wish granted. A powerful and self-absorbed dragon named Fang aims for those heights to meet with the Goddess and learn the name of the strongest monster in the world. His drive to find and kill this ultimate opponent and firmly establish himself as the dominant monster of the land is mighty enough to entreat the gods, but his boldness is also his undoing.

Disdainful and disrespectful to the Goddess, she strips him of his dragon form and banishes him to the surface. Bereft of the power he once wielded as the Dragon Emperor, Fang must now adjust to surviving in a far weaker body as he navigates the dangerous mazes of halls in his quest for revenge upon the creator herself.

uc3.jpg

Fang

char1.jpg

The fierce and powerful Dragon Emperor.

A young king of the Dragon Clan whose arrogance and lack of respect towards the ruler of the world, Goddess Clunea, resulted in her stripping him of his adult body and enormous power.

Tiana

char2.jpg

The phoenix princess.

Despite being the princess of the Phoenix Clan and the legitimate heir to the throne, she secretly longs to become a dragon - the giant, spiky, fang-filled mouth kind of dragon. Why one of the powerful phoenix royalty should want to become a dragon is a source of much curiosity (and hilarity) to her traveling companions.

Lucius

char3.jpg

A mysterious swordsman who must see the Goddess at all cost.

Unlike most would-be wishers, he challenges the Titans solo and seemingly without a care for injury or fatigue. His manner of dress suggests that he is a denizen of the Demon World's Reaper Clan.
(Voiced by: Liam O'Brian!)

Niko

char4.jpg

A goofy, somewhat excitable girl from the Spirit Fox Clan.

As part of this carefree fox tribe, she is a girl with nine tails and a keen sense of smell. She is very friendly and tomboy-ish but does show her feminine side from time to time. She also has an unhealthy love of buttons, especially the ones that drop boulders on your head when pushed.

Lapis

char5.jpg

A medusa with androphobia (fear of men).

A shy Medusa Clan mage with the power to turn men to stone at a glance. Unfortunately, her fear of men tends to lead to a trail of unlucky petrified admirers. As a result, her greatest desire is to rid herself of this troublesome phobia with the help of the Goddess.

Sylvie

char6.jpg

A Reaper Clan girl on a quest to aid her brother.

A somewhat prim and proper black mage on a mission. She is brave, kind, and sincere despite the ominous reputation that Demon World clans tend to have above ground.

Hector

char7.jpg

A cowardly Golem prince.

A recently fledged Golem Clan prince. Though he may now be considered an 'adult' due to his fledging, he's still a boy at heart. Is currently on the run from his hundreds of rather large and aggressive fiancées.

Mari

char8.jpg

A tiny Mandrake girl.

An emotionless girl who doesn't say much. Seems wise beyond her years when she does speak, but why a child would be wandering about the dungeon on her own is the greater mystery.

Clunea

char9.jpg

Goddess that created the world.

The all-powerful deity that created the world and the massive living labyrinths known as the Titans. She tasks all those who would beg a wish of her to undertake the "Holy Ordeals" and conquer these Titans. Has the ability to make miracles come true.

uc5.jpg

ss-sys1B.jpg

3D Dungeon Crawling

Traverse through the bodies of the Titans by way of first-person dungeon crawling, bringing up to four party members along with you. Explore the dungeons fully and fill in the map as you take each step, or forgo the map entirely and learn to carefully avoid dangerous traps.

ss-sys2B.jpg

Each Titan possesses a unique set of puzzles and traps to discover. From Titan Darius' pits of lava to holding your breath as you swim through the flooded corridors of Titan Tortuga, the elements will prove to be no easy adversary on your journey. Hidden treasure chests with key items, dark corridors, barred passages and one-way halls will challenge you to reach the Ark of the Titan each step of the way.

Skill Trees!

ss-sys3A.jpg

The Skill Map is a chart of obtainable skills and abilities unique to each of the playable characters in the game. Earn Skill Points by leveling up in battle and choose a path of Skills from a multitude of directions. You can improve each individual party member's health, have them learn healing or elemental abilities, obtain powerful physical attacks, or perhaps teach them how to have a stronger affinity with enemies from the same clan.

Monster Ranching! (?!)
ss-sys4A.jpg

ss-sys4B.jpg

As you battle, your performance is rewarded in the form of Charisma Points. The more Charisma you have, the more likely an enemy might consider you a worthy Master. When a bright ring appears on top of an enemy, show them your strength by choosing the Unchain option – an option which challenges you to time your actions within a pattern of circles - and create a small army of Followers who can fight alongside you, help you learn special Skills unique to their element, deflect attacks, or even take damage in your place.

Lots and lots of monsters

ss-sys5B.jpg

Don't think being charismatic is all it takes to win a battle; many enemies won't be fooled, so you'll have to face them head on. Customize a party of four lead characters and play to each of their strengths in turn-based combat. Place all of your strongest members on the front lines to soak up damage, or choose to use a healer or support mage in the back row. Each character can also bring up to four Followers with them to battle, allowing up to sixteen additional party members to give you that extra edge in a tough fight. Just remember that the enemy can have a full party ready for action, too- sometimes even enough of a party to take up two or three screens at the same time.

uc4.jpg

Official Site

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Reviews?

ss-sys5A.jpg

There's, uh, not many.
GameVortex - 86%
ZTGameDomain - 73%
Canadian Online Gamers - 65%

Shinriji

Gonna buy just to support the work of Kazushi Hagiwara, and maybe he will be back to draw more Bastard!! chapters.

And the announced sequel also have Kia Asamiya. 2 of my favourite Mangaka on the same game.

cj_iwakura

I feel it's worth noting that this game has some of the most gorgeous first-person dungeons I've ever seen.

Nothing has looked this good since Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land.

B.K.

I'm up to the
trial in Titan Darius and can't win. I've tried three or four times and never can beat the other team of monsters.

Glad to see this game get a proper OT. I'm waiting on the 3DS release, so I'll check back in then. Really looking forward to finally playing this.

I'm guess that NOA wants NSMB2 to be the first "full" game to be up on the eShop. Then Unchained Blades can be released, right?

Rezae

I'm about 3 hours into the PSP version, and it's simply amazing if you're into dungeon crawlers. Seems very deep and challenging so far, but most of all just plain old-school fun with it's spunky personality. Time just flies with this.

Been looking forward to the game for some time now. Would of bought it on the psp but I think my screen burned out or something.

This is a great dungeon crawler. I would advise anyone starting out to recruit as many monsters as possible. This game gets hard quick, and your followers become essential to success.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked it up on PSN the week it hit, but couldn't download it to my PSV, so I never really got around to playing it. Will probably wait until the 3DS version hits and double-dip.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
$30 is full price these days on the PSP? Thought it was still a free for all between 19.99 and 39.99.

Eusis

$30 is full price these days on the PSP? Thought it was still a free for all between 19.99 and 39.99.
When Square Enix gave up on charging $40 for new PSP games you know that price point's dead.

Except for Tactics Ogre, for some reason.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's a title you have to copy over from a PS3.

That's completely fucking ridiculous. Why do Atlus' Persona PSP games show up in my Vita's download list, but this does not? Fuck that. I want the second screen map as well, though.

B.K.

That's completely fucking ridiculous. Why do Atlus' Persona PSP games show up in my Vita's download list, but this does not? Fuck that.

I guess those have gone through Sony's conversion, or whatever they do for PSP games. Gungnir is the same way not. You can copy it over from a PS3 to Vita now too. You couldn't get it on a Vita at all for a while.

Eusis

I'm sure voice actors have to get a job and money for living.

But that and this being $29.99 is two different thing. Seriously this needs to bring its price down.
Alternatively, we're drastically undervaluing games here if even $30 looks too much. We're not talking about an Angry Birds knock off, but a voiced RPG, possibly one with a decent amount of text, that'll definitely give you a favorable hours-to-dollars ratio. A game that likely would have been retail had it not gotten so bad in the last few years for niche games, or at least PSP titles.

cj_iwakura

How do I do this? If it's too complicated I would just get it on the PSP, but I want to play it on the Vita. @_@

Download it to the PS3, connect the Vita via USB(I assume), then transfer it from the PS3 menu.\

I don't have a Vita, but that's how PSP transfers work.

I'm up to the
trial in Titan Darius and can't win. I've tried three or four times and never can beat the other team of monsters.

try recruiting more of the group boss monster types, those that set off a chain reaction when you kill them. or some of the solo baddies. it's important to take care of your followers if you don't want to hit a wall in the first couple titans. keep mood high if possible.

Cheska

Im usually not a sucker for dungeon crawlers but something about this game makes me want to keep sinking hours in. Do we think Fang will end up being another Luke from TotA?

Atlus selling physical copies of PSP games like Gungnir and Growlanser for the same price XSEED is charging for this really doesn't help the value proposition of Unchain Blades. I'm waiting for it to hit the $20 price mark personally. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on questioning the sales potential of the PSP/PSV version, but I still don't understand why they couldn't go physical and eShop for the 3DS version. I know carts cost a fair chunk of change to produce but the 3DS has been doing pretty well and the system is relatively RPG starved at the moment.

Value proposition aside, is anyone else torn about what system to get this for? On one hand you have the stability of having it tied to your PSN account going with the PSP/PSV copy, but having the map visible on the touch screen at all times would be really nice. Plus I'm not all that keen on it being a license for a single system with the 3DS, heaven forbid the thing die and you're not able to transfer it off. Has anyone heard about any potential performance differences?

Marche90

I'm going to get this on my 3DS, since I sold my PSP a while ago and I don't have a Vita. I'm starting to get fed up on Nintendo because of the waiting, though.

cj_iwakura

Atlus selling physical copies of PSP games like Gungnir and Growlanser for the same price XSEED is charging for this really doesn't help the value proposition of Unchain Blades. I'm waiting for it to hit the $20 price mark personally. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on questioning the sales potential of the PSP/PSV version, but I still don't understand why they couldn't go physical and eShop for the 3DS version. I know carts cost a fair chunk of change to produce but the 3DS has been doing pretty well and the system is relatively RPG starved at the moment.

Value proposition aside, is anyone else torn about what system to get this for? On one hand you have the stability of having it tied to your PSN account going with the PSP/PSV copy, but having the map visible on the touch screen at all times would be really nice. Plus I'm not all that keen on it being a license for a single system with the 3DS, heaven forbid the thing die and you're not able to transfer it off. Has anyone heard about any potential performance differences?

Color me biased since I'm playing the PSP version and all, but I doubt the dungeons/gameplay will look this sharp on the 3DS. I don't mind having the map visible on the screen either, large as it is.

Eusis

Color me biased since I'm playing the PSP version and all, but I doubt the dungeons/gameplay will look this sharp on the 3DS. I don't mind having the map visible on the screen either, large as it is.
There's really no bias here, just simple facts: the PSP has a higher resolution than the effective resolution of the 3DS. At best the smaller 3DS screen makes it look sharper, but then you could do the same thing with the PSP Go anyway, and the 3DS XL and Vita are on equal footing screen size-wise if we want to use the latest hardware. There's still the apparent lack of dithering on the 3DS version though, so it still likely comes down to which you'd rather have: slightly sharper visuals, or a map on the separate screen and no dithering. Unless they actually screwed up performance and we won't see this until it hits the eShop since there seem to be no import comparisons, then it'll become a very easy choice.

Etzer

Nope. My Vita has more than enough RPGs on it right now. Hopefully this is out on the eShop shortly after NSMB2.

kuroshiki

Alternatively, we're drastically undervaluing games here if even $30 looks too much. We're not talking about an Angry Birds knock off, but a voiced RPG, possibly one with a decent amount of text, that'll definitely give you a favorable hours-to-dollars ratio. A game that likely would have been retail had it not gotten so bad in the last few years for niche games, or at least PSP titles.

Well, nobody with sane mind would actually buy angry bird. (its free virtually everywhere, and its knockoffs can be found everywhere, free). So for value per dollar ratio, angry bird wins.

The value of the game is determined by consumers. If this was well known franchise with huge fan base, I'm pretty sure people including myself will happily vouch $30, or even $40. I will buy Growlanser 4 for PSP when it comes to PSN, regardless of its price. But this is brand new franchise, and charging same price as its physical sibling. It just rubs me in the wrong way.

It should be $24.99.

cj_iwakura

Well, nobody with sane mind would actually buy angry bird. (its free virtually everywhere, and its knockoffs can be found everywhere, free). So for value per dollar ratio, angry bird wins.

The value of the game is determined by consumers. If this was well known franchise with huge fan base, I'm pretty sure people including myself will happily vouch $30, or even $40. I will buy Growlanser 4 for PSP when it comes to PSN, regardless of its price. But this is brand new franchise, and charging same price as its physical sibling. It just rubs me in the wrong way.

It should be $24.99.

It's a new title with high production values that tries a lot of new things. In an era when people pay $60 for games that barely last ten hours(hi Lollipop Chainsaw), I fail to see why a sprawling dungeon crawler going for $30 is such a big deal.

I apologize for the plug, but it's relevant, I swear! I wrote a review for this over at RPGFan. Spoiler: it's good, but hard as shit.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Unchained_Blades/index.html

it's not that hard when you get your full party, by then you've mastered the game. judgment battles are free once you figure out how to take care of your followers.

for anyone wondering: this game is about 80 hours long, bonus dungeon included. longer if you want to run it multiple times of course.

Eusis

It should be $24.99.
I'd say value is dictated as a matter of compromise ultimately: they offer a product and try to sell it for enough to make profit, and we buy at as low of a cost as we're willing to pay up. And for this I hardly see $30 as a problem, in addition to the well outlined production costs reasons it was only relatively recent that PSP games dropped to a standard of $30 with a few outliers as of last fall going for $40, and 3DS games (which this may be better compared to) are going for an MSRP of $40, so $30 is STILL a bargain there. Not to mention there's the simple fact that maybe you CAN'T appreciably increase your user base by lowering the price, in this case $5 less would likely only net a small number such as yourself, not enough to outweigh the gain from everyone that'd buy it anyway. And hell, if prices like $30 are accepted we'll get more from that at least when it comes to companies like Xseed, something like Corpse Party was $20 but undubbed (and likely was better left that way), and you could argue this extends to Aksys's recent releases too given they were for the most part $25 titles on PSN... without the VA that UB got.

Top Bottom