• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
All developers dream, but don't all have the luxury of being a 1st party with the console manufacturer's top software developers working in house to develop their engine components and development tools to ensure their game is the showcase title on the platform.
Do you realize how small that studio is compared to other AAA studios?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Callibretto said:
in comparison, Marlowe's hair is so out of place compared to the other 3
It does on those CG renders, but that's mostly because they use in-game models with CG shaders on them. When the rest of her doesn't look as realistic, as is the case in game, the hair doesn't stand out much either.

neojubei said:
Same with me. Uncharted 2 was my GOTY in 2009.

Yeah, its just that this year also has Skyrim, so cant be too sure. I played batman and its fucking great, but if this game is better than U2 then I think Ill like it more. I also dont plan on buying Zelda so I guess I wont know about that game. Skyrim though, will be amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Worldwide_Studios

ICE Team

In addition, Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.

You say Naughty Dog isn't responsible for Uncharted's production values and then point out that Naughty Dog is responsible for making technology for many of Sony's games? My mind is full of fuck.

mephixto

Banned
I didn't know that ICE team also do gameplay mechanics, voice acting, character design, screenplay, etc.

Check reviews and previews of the game, they only write a sentence about graphics.

All developers dream, but don't all have the luxury of being a 1st party with the console manufacturer's top software developers working in house to develop their engine components and development tools to ensure their game is the showcase title on the platform.

wtf? Are you seriously trying to analyze the thread's title? Really? See Bruce, this is why you should've left the OP like it was originally. Too many dumb dumbs taking things too seriously.

Combichristoffersen said:
Kate is actually a semi-cyborg with a wig-looking hat made of wood and nanomachines.

EeHIz.jpg

.........don't worry about me, it's called boredom.

SamuraiX-

Not mad. But if you're supposed to be the place for intelligent gaming discussion, it should be common knowledge that it's not Naughty Dog who's responsible for Uncharted having the highest production values on consoles.

Look, I'm not disagreeing with you that Naughty Dog gets a lot of first-party tech support from Sony and all, but the way your posts are structures make it sound like you're not giving the development team any credit in the slightest.

what are you guys gonna first play the game on? I thought about starting with hard this time around, but then I remember dying quite a few times on normal for U2.

Edit: Especially towards the end.

LightOfTruth said:
what are you guys gonna first play the game on? I thought about starting with hard this time around, but then I remember dying quite a few times on normal for U2.

I did beat UC2 on Crushing, but I don't want my first time through the game to be frustrating. Probably on normal for starters.

LightOfTruth said:

The only reason I never plat'd UC2 is because of the dificulty unlock system. This time around I'll start on Hard and then beat crushing.

brandonh83 said:
I did beat UC2 on Crushing, but I don't want my first time through the game to be frustrating. Probably on normal for starters.

yep. Means 3 play throughs for the the platinum but I dont mind =)

ND said they improved the AI in this game so Im looking forward to seeing if that changes depending on the difficulty.

Edit: ^haha, the ending on crushing was brutal dude, I dont blame you :p

MrPliskin

Banned
Keep fighting the good fight.

KingK

LightOfTruth said:
Yeah, its just that this year also has Skyrim, so cant be too sure. I played batman and its fucking great, but if this game is better than U2 then I think Ill like it more. I also dont plan on buying Zelda so I guess I wont know about that game. Skyrim though, will be amazing.

Yeah, I'm thinking my GOTY will be close between Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and Batman.
Skyrim is kind of a wild card for me. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, but I absolutely loved Fallout 3. And it seems like all of my major gripes with Oblivion have been addressed in Skyrim. If it's as good as I imagine it can be, I could see it easily being my favorite of the year.

Also, I've been replaying UC2 this week in preparation for 3, and my roommate and one of his friends were in the room and kept glancing over at the TV while I was playing until they eventually just sat down behind me and watched, lol. They were disappointed when I had to quit because they wanted to see what happened next.

LightOfTruth said:

I will start on hard. If that did not work i will finish it on normal.

Guevara

Mailenstein said:
I'm two hours in the game and I don't know how they pulled it off, but this game looks ridiculously awesome at some places... :eek:
I totally agree. I can't wait until other people have this so we can talk about specifics. I'm 3 hours in or so and it's been all awesome so far. The initial locations are not what I expected either!

Guevara said:
I totally agree. I can't wait until other people have this so we can talk about specifics. I'm 3 hours in or so and it's been all awesome so far. The initial locations are not what I expected either!
Yeah, totally!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
brandonh83 said:
It really isn't that frustrating. I kind of appreciate the game more if it's a little challenging. I really don't want to finish the first playthrough really quickly.

ClovingSteam said:
wtf? Are you seriously trying to analyze the thread's title? Really? See Bruce, this is why you should've left the OP like it was originally. Too many dumb dumbs taking things too seriously.
Dude clear your messages I have been trying to msg you for days!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm playing on normal first time around. I finished UC1 on crushing and thought I know the game inside and out, but when I replayed some parts of it the other day, I still die in places on normal difficulty. In part because I didn't play very safe, but still.

Ricky_R

Meisadragon said:
It really isn't that frustrating. I kind of appreciate the game more if it's a little challenging. I really don't want to finish the first playthrough really quickly.

Normal is my favorite "first play-through" difficulty. I've found that I enjoy the game more that way.

I like the challenge, but I prefer less of a challenge through that first experience. Specially with Uncharted.

Chinner

Banned
bruceleeroy could you draw a picture of nathan drake and lara croft kissing each other while sully watches over from the bushes?

well can anyone draw that please?

Ricky_R

BTW. Bruce, did you draw most of that OP wallpaper? Either way it looks great, but if you drew some of that stuff with a pad, then even more impressive.

If you draw some stuff, let me know which parts, if you can. Thanks and great job with the OP.

Ricky_R said:
<------- *Looks avatar* ... ^^^ *Looks image*

That bitch is Drake's mother confirmed. FUCK. Spoilers.

lol yours came out better than mine, but wow I didn't even know about your avatar >_<

Artex

Banned
What CE does the black and white cover of Drake come in? I thought the steel book CE had the ring on the cover? I'm liking that B&W one, though.

Ricky_R said:
BTW. Bruce, did you draw most of that OP wallpaper? Either way it looks great, but if you drew some of that stuff with a pad, then even more impressive.

If you draw some stuff, let me know which parts, if you can. Thanks and great job with the OP.
Everything that is a model from the game(drake,sully...ect.) is just a cut out model. Everything else is drawn(wacom)

Ricky_R

BruceLeeRoy said:
Everything that is a model from the game(drake,sully...ect.) is just a cut out model. Everything else is drawn(wacom)

Ok thanks. Great job. The desert, waterfalls and everything looks very good.

Meisadragon said:

Oh on a game like this, the first time through especially, I'm more along for the ride, the story, environments, the pace. If I get stuck playing it on Crushing I'll just be like fuck this I just want to see what's next!

So I take it casually to begin with.

Ricky_R

brandonh83 said:
Oh on a game like this, the first time through especially, I'm more along for the ride, the story, environments, the pace. If I get stuck playing it on Crushing I'll just be like fuck this I just want to see what's next!

So I take it casually to begin with.

I'm exactly the same way.

Corto

Chinner, Do you have a paypal donate link? I think I became your fan between this thread and the reviews one. I want to support your art.

Mailenstein said:
I'm two hours in the game and I don't know how they pulled it off, but this game looks ridiculously awesome at some places... :eek:

Yeah, but just very good in others. Personally I thought the animations in the starting chapter
where Drake and Sully fight some thugs
were pretty weird. I do think the game starts weaker then the previous two but I really liked the stuff that followed, like the playable
flashback

I'm in chapter 5 right now. How many chapters are there?

Top Bottom