• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unepic |OT| This game is epic!

Yuripaw

Banned
I didn't find any topics for this game when I did a search by title, and after having just recently picked it up on Wii U's eshop, I felt that was a crime. This game is really fun so far, and I felt it could use some more attention.

Full disclosure, I'm got most of the information from the game's official page which can be found here: http://www.unepicgame.com/en/index.html

UnepicOT.jpg

Developer: Francisco Téllez de Meneses
Publisher: ninagamers
Platforms: PC (Steam, Desura), Wii U (eShop)
Genre: Sidescrolling Adventure/RPG
Release Dates: June 13, 2013 (steam), January 16, 2014 NA/January 23, 2014 Europe (Wii U)
Distribution: Digital Download
Price: $7.99 on Steam, $9.99 Wii U

Demo available here (Thanks Kadin for pointing it out ^_^)

whatisunepic.png

Unepic is a combination of platforming and role playing games. There are many hilarious references throughout the game. The game takes place in Harnakon, a huge medieval castle.

It is set in the hardcore NES Style, yet refined with the latest features. This makes Unepic a very unique game.

100% made in Spain

The whole development process was done in Barcelona, Spain.

Experts see Unepic as the "el Quijote" of videogames and foresee that Spain will be known all around the world for the paella, the siesta, bullfighting and Unepic.
I've just invented the last one ;c)

unepichero.jpg

This is Daniel, a normal guy from recent times: a great videogame player, big sci-fi movie fan, novice player of role playing games, pot-head and overall, horny due to a mysterious lack of success with girls.

Wait... is Unepic not a medieval fantasy game? Why is the main character a guy from today's world?
To find out the answer you will have to play the game...

castle.jpg

Harnakon's Castle is huge, more that 200 rooms with several different environments, all of them with their own monsters and interactive characters.

Weapons
In Unepic you will find more than 100 different weapons to hit and slay anything that crosses your path.
A single weapon is not good for every type of enemy. Depending on the monster you face, one weapon type may be much better than others.
These are the weapons that you can master:

sword.png

Swords: they are used to attack monsters that can bleed, as they cause deep wounds in flesh. However, they are much less effective against monsters that don't bleed or things made of iron or wood, like barrels or armored foes.

dagger.png

Daggers: Lethal against all bleeding monsters if attacked from behind, as both the damage and critical hit chance are multiplied. Moreover your attacks are much faster since daggers are the lightest weapon type you can find.

mace.png

Maces: They are meant to smash. Especially effective against skeletons, rotten barrels and armored monsters.

axe.png

Axes: Axes are a mixture of sword and mace. They cause cuts to fleshy monsters, and their hits are strong enough to penetrate solid objects. Their main drawback is their low speed.

polearm.png

Polearms: Their biggest advantage is that they have the longest reach of all the melee weapons.
They are especially useful against monsters that are best kept afar.

bow.png

Bows: Obviously are used to attack from long distances, though they are not very effective against armored monsters.

wands.png

Wands: wands shoot all types of magic bolts.
Their effects are very destructive and they cast quickly, but they have limited charges.

Magic

In unepic you will find tomes of magic. There are currently 70 different spell effects that you can take advantage of in the following item types:

img_pocion.png

Potions: You just have to take out the cap and drink it, then you character will receive a positive magic effect. They can be used once, but you can reuse the remaining empty vial to create more potions.

img_pergamino.png

Scrolls: Unroll it and then read it, the spell within will be cast.
They also can be used only once because the scroll disintegrates when the spell is freed.

img_anillo.png

Rings: Wearing them grants you special abilities or enhances your stats.
Unlike other games, in Unepic you can wear 8 rings, one per finger.

img_tomo.png

Tomes: Tomes teach you spells that you can use whenever you need.
They cover all magic types. To learn them you will need a minimum level in the corresponding magic skill.

img_receta.png

Recipes: They are documents that teach you how to create potions. Thanks to these recipes you will be able to create as many potions as you need. Each recipe needs special ingredients that some monsters drop when killed.

img_arma_magica.png

Magic Weapons: Some weapons have special powers or spirits that live within that make them unique.
Their names appear in blue or orange in your inventory.

img_artefacto.png

Artifacts: They are magic objects of great power that can be activated. These are extremely rare.

media.png

Official Trailer

Wii U Launch Trailer

Giant Bomb Quick Look

menu-logo.png

Miiverse Community Page

Please forgive the crudeness of this thread, my first attempt at making something like this. I've been really enjoying the hell out of the game so far though, and I feel like it deserved more exposure and discussion. It's surprisingly fun, and has a lot of content and a good challenge. If this is your first time hearing about it, think about checking it out if you like a metroidvania style game.

Sentenza

I liked this game a lot.
Not perfect by any stretch and the humor is generally cheesy as hell, but I really enjoyed playing it.

Yuripaw

Banned
Some of the humors works better than others, but I enjoy it. I actually like the game more with voice acting. When Giant Bomb did their quick look, it was just text, and I couldn't help imagine that the voice of the main character sounded like a douchebag, lol. The voice they got in the final Wii U version though is pretty good, and it makes it more humorous to me.

What I really appreciate is the game is a real solid challenge, with lots of areas to explore. Great value for the price.

Kadin

I know I'm going to buy it one way or the other, just trying to figure out which system to buy it for: Wii U or PC? I think the obvious answer is PC since it's a bit cheaper but I really need to play my Wii U more I think. The big question is how does it play on the gamepad versus the TV?

Yuripaw

Banned
I know I'm going to buy it one way or the other, just trying to figure out which system to buy it for: Wii U or PC? I think the obvious answer is PC since it's a bit cheaper but I really need to play my Wii U more I think. The big question is how does it play on the gamepad versus the TV?

It really is preferable to play it on the TV, because the sprites are pretty small. To help with this, they let you zoom in the gameplay closer to your character when you play on the gamepad, but you lose a lot of your awareness for the level when you play it that way.

That being said, I like everything else about the Wii U version. I'm not sure if the voice acting that the Wii U version has was ever added to the PC version. It wasn't in it when Giant Bomb did their quick look, but that was a while ago.

SummitAve

Banned
Love playing this on the wii u gamepad. It has a nice zoom in zoom out option. I wasn't able to find that when playing it on my tv.

Kadin

Wow, just looked on metacritic and there are reviews for the PC version dated back to April 2012. I had no clue the game has been out that long. Only just recently heard about it from the Wii U eShop. Have to look a bit more into this now.

Yuripaw

Banned
Wow, just looked on metacritic and there are reviews for the PC version dated back to April 2012. I had no clue the game has been out that long. Only just recently heard about it from the Wii U eShop. Have to look a bit more into this now.

Yeah I looked at that myself before I posted this thread, and I honestly wasn't sure what reviews would be worth posting, or which one's would be valid still. It sounds like this game might have been available on PC for quite a while during various stages of development. So some of those older reviews might not really be valid for the game's current state, especially on Wii U. Even on Steam, it is still listed as early access, even though the single player is complete. They have plans to put multiplayer in the PC version, but probably not the Wii U version.

Cerity

Good game, overlooked by titles like rogue legacy and la mulana though. The image the game puts out isn't all that attractive either.

Kadin

Just saw you can download a demo of the PC version here too which I'm doing now. But I think I'll end up buying the Wii U version if I like it... which I'm guessing I will. Good OT btw. :D

qko

That first death was a bit cheap. But so far the game has been enjoyable. Side scrolling is getting a bit old, but this game has been better than Knytt underground by a lot

Yuripaw

Banned
Good game, overlooked by titles like rogue legacy and la mulana though. The image the game puts out isn't all that attractive either.

Yeah, I kinda agree with that. Just the visuals alone, and the fact that the MC looks kinda like Alex Navarro didn't really sell me on it when it came out on Steam, lol. I just picked this up on Wii U because I had $10 sitting on my eshop account, and I was itching for something new. I'm so glad I did pick it up, it's been a lot of fun.

Just saw you can download a demo of the PC version here too which I'm doing now. But I think I'll end up buying the Wii U version if I like it... which I'm guessing I will. Good OT btw. :D

Thanks for pointing that out, I updated the OP so people can see that if they'd like to try it.

I bought this in my never ending quest to support good games on the Wii U and I enjoyed the bit that I played it. Unfortunately for this game, I discovered Breath of Fire II right after I started it so I think it'll be a while until I get back to it...

Effect

Pick this up on the Wii U. Pretty enjoyable so far. It was one of the indie games I was really looking forward to appearing on the eShop and so far it hasn't disappointed.

Kadin

Yeah I'll be buying it tonight on the Wii U. The demo for the PC gave me enough of a good impression to support their work. I like what I've seen so far...

tebunker

Banned
Said this in the Eshop thread, but the Wife and I have been enjoying this now for a bit. It is addictively fun. It has a solid challenge and metroidvania feel. Writing is good.

The big kicker is that my wife really like using Off Tv mode, and she usually hates that. So we have definitely gotten our $10 bucks out of it.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't really like chinbeards at all either, but at least it's kinda realistic. I mean, if anyplace I'd expect to see someone with a chinbeard, it'd be a someone at a D&D game, lol

Counter of course to beards that appear on other parts of your body
also
image.php

hah well that was the '70s and that is Tom Waits. Maybe if the Player Character in this game drank whiskey, chainsmoked, and said stream-of-consciousness beat poetry to jazz music, I'd give it a pass...

But really, please...videogames, stop with the chinbeards...it's no longer cool, or edgy, or extreme, or 'tude-aceous...
jak-and-daxter.jpg

I don't really like chinbeards at all either, but at least it's kinda realistic. I mean, if anyplace I'd expect to see someone with a chinbeard, it'd be a someone at a D&D game, lol

Hah true, and sorry, didn't mean to sideswipe the thread. Just a visceral reaction to the chin-a-tude.

It's nice to see a developer from a less common country putting their spin on things.

Sentenza

But really, please...videogames, stop with the chinbeards...it's no longer cool, or edgy, or extreme, or 'tude-aceous...

jak-and-daxter.jpg
I think you are seriously misunderstanding what kind of character you are looking at.
The Unepic protagonist is supposed to be essentially the opposite of cool or edgy.
In fact, being maybe a bit harsh in the process, he could easily be labeled as an idiot, a loser and a manchild.

is there anything important that's missing from early access ?
i've been wanting to get the game since it appeared on steam a while back but it's still in early access

Sentenza

is there anything important that's missing from early access ?
i've been wanting to get the game since it appeared on steam a while back but it's still in early access
Just the multiplayer (which I'm not even sure how it's supposed to work, honestly) and minor interface tweaks, as far as I know.

Serrato

I think you are seriously misunderstanding what kind of character you are looking at.
The Unepic protagonist is supposed to be essentially the opposite of cool or edgy.
In fact, being maybe a bit harsh in the process, he could easily be labeled as an idiot, a loser and a manchild.

Yup, He's that unsecure geeky creepy DnD player. I think the part where he
Fucks with Goblin Females just to have sex is kinda revealing.

Cizard

Does this game have micro-transactions in the steam/wii u version as well? If so fuck it i'll just wait for a sale.

I really have to start playing this, considering I already own it and I'm Spanish myself. I liked the demo quite a bit too. Just... so much stuff on my plate as always... :/

Vlade

Playing on Wii u, hard. Really good so far, just got my fire. I think I did it with some goblins too.

Edit: I'm not reading too much into the misogyny, he thinks this is all in his head so far

Copenap

Played it on pc and really liked it. Didn't finish it unfortunately and I don't think I'll come back to it but I can absolutely recommend it.

Lain

I decided to start playing my steam copy today, and the game ain't half bad, but I would prefer to use the d-pad instead of the stick with my controller.
Anyone knows if there's a way to set it so movement is through the d-pad and not the stick?
Found out that I can do it by recalibrating the pad and pressing on the dpad the choice when it asks me to press directions with the stick.

bart64

Banned
Neat game. Charming and tough in all the right ways. I like their approach to the gamepad: 30 shortcut buttons! Also quest status and customizable inventory favorites all right there, freeing the TV to keep that wonderful fixed view of the entire area map. For off-tv you have the option to zoom in, which is nice for more accurate combat.

The game just has that genuine amateur dugeon crawl feel but it's also self aware enough to stay ahead of the clichés. It's the kind of adventure we drew out on grid paper in grade school, with all the weapons and items and enemies you can ever dream up, and the strict difficulty and complex mechanics you would demand of your own grand creation. But polished and actually fun.

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, the amount of items, and shortcuts you can use in this game can be kinda intimidating for me sometimes, but I like it. You have so much space in your inventory that I lose track of what my best gear is sometimes. I do wish they had a better sorting method. Whenever I press Y to sort it, I'm not quite sure why it doesn't group certain types of weapons together.

Win 7 64 bit

Ah, sorry I can't be much help then. I saw some talk on a steam forum about someone with Windows 8 having that problem, so I thought it might be related to that.

You might be right...I didn't entertain the possibility that the game might intentionally be mocking and showing disdain for the player character. That's kind of a weird/interesting game design decision, if so.

Top Bottom