• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision Executives Vote to Delete Six Gawker Media Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
In a vote carried out on Friday night, Univision executives voted to remove six posts published by former Gawker Media properties that are involved in ongoing litigation. The vote took place just hours before the close of Univision’s purchase of Gawker Media’s assets

John Cook, the executive editor of Gawker Media, voted to preserve all six posts. As he explained in a memo to staff, however, the other two executives—Felipe Holguin and Jay Grant, both of Univision’s Fusion Media Group—still voted to remove the six posts over his strenuous objections.

The posts in question said:

Memo from John Cook said:
Felipe and Jay explained that they proposed deleting those seven posts because they are currently the subject of active litigation against Gawker Media, and that Unimoda had been authorized only to purchase the assets, and not the liabilities, of the company. Though the posts were published by Gawker Media, and therefore under the so-called “first publication rule” should only be the legal responsibility of the Gawker Media estate being left behind in the transaction, Unimoda’s legal analysis was that the continued publication of the posts under the new entitity would constitute the adoption of liability, and that Unimoda is therefore obligated to delete them. Felipe and Jay represented to me that their decision to propose deletion of the posts was purely a function of the terms of the transaction, and that Univision and Unimoda are committed to defending our journalism against any future legal threats or attacks.

http://gizmodo.com/univision-executives-vote-to-delete-six-gawker-media-po-1786466510

delete if old or if your corporate overlords want to

Felipe and Jay explained that they proposed deleting those seven posts because they are currently the subject of active litigation against Gawker Media, and that Unimoda had been authorized only to purchase the assets, and not the liabilities, of the company
How are just those 6 posts liabilities? I'm probably missing something here.

It's not surprising to me that there is litigation against them for calling a guy acquitted of rape a rapist when he had already taken legal action against another blog for doing the same.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"This story is no longer available as it is the subject of pending litigation against the prior owners of this site."

Now I really want to see that shitting on the floor story. Damn it, Univision.

"This story is no longer available as it is the subject of pending litigation against the prior owners of this site."

Now I really want to see that shitting on the floor story. Damn it, Univision.

"6 stories you won't believe Gawker posted! SHOCKING!"

pigeon

Banned
How are just those 6 posts liabilities? I'm probably missing something here.

Wait, it's in the OP!

Univision is afraid that if they keep those posts published then they can be legally construed as being Univision's posts and so Univision could then be made liable for their content, which is currently under suit.

That would constitute taking on a previous Gawker liability, and since Univision explicitly said they wouldn't do that, they don't want to do it here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Univision's cleaning house from the look of it. This was always going to happen after they bought Gawker, it would have happened no matter who picked them up. They bought Gawker, not Gawker's lawsuits.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you bought a house with six dead rats on the floor would you just decorate around them? The litigants already have the records. It's private property and not particularly in the public interest anyway.

Mesousa

Banned
Its hilarious that #1 is taken down due to this. From my understanding of it the Gawker article is 100% right about that guy.

CDX

When Univision bought them, they didn't want the old lawsuits too.

Whether you feel those lawsuits are legitimate or not, IMO it's completely understandable why the new owners, Univision, wouldn't want to be involved with the old lawsuits.

Brakke

Banned
If you bought a house with six dead rats on the floor would you just decorate around them? The litigants already have the records. It's private property and not particularly in the public interest anyway.

This is a terrible analogy and you should feel bad for making it.

When Univision bought them, they didn't want the old lawsuits too.

Whether you feel those lawsuits are legitimate or not, IMO it's completely understandable why the new owners, Univision, wouldn't want to be involved with the old lawsuits.

It shows that frivolous lawsuits (that gawker is winning) still allow rich people to shut up outlets that report bad things about them. That are factual.

Its hilarious that #1 is taken down due to this. From my understanding of it the Gawker article is 100% right about that guy.

It is but peter thiel is funding a lawsuit.

jstripes

Banned
So if I'm rich I can just try things up in litigation and have them taken down? Even if I will lose?

Thats pretty much prior restraint

Not saying they're right to take it down. Just giving the reason.

All this billionaire money being funnelled into lawsuits like this is horrible.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is a terrible analogy and you should feel bad for making it.

I don't feel bad for making it - any "public interest" was served at the time of publishing, and further, amplified by the lawsuits. Univision bought the audience and content, not the associated liabilities - not only is it theirs to do with what they wish, they expose themselves to legal jeopardy by continuing to "publish it."

And further, like the dead rats, these "objects" aren't useful to either the buyer (univision) or the public. And unlike disposing of the dead rats, the "objects" will continue to exist in perpetuity. In some ways it's less outrageous than disposing of the rats.

This is WHOLLY different than my opinion of Gawker itself being in this position. But Gawker is no longer extant.

213372bu

Banned
Gawker was a bastion of ethical journalism.

These six articles highlight the lengths that no true journalistic outlet would go for.

To provide information in a field where many outlets are either hushed out or focus on "pop news."

They will be missed.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I wanna know if some guy shit on the floor one time. This is a dream come true for me and I'll be thinking about it for days. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom