• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I don't want to take everything a character says as a hint for their own demise, not everything. When I watched the mountain vs the viper, Oberyn said something like "i will die, but not today." he was wrong.

It's not that hard, they're not any kind of clever or subtle, it just is what it looks like. She thought Lannister soldiers were all bad and fodder for her revenge dreams. Now she's questioning that view. It's the beginning of her turning from living for revenge to normalcy. I say beginning but with the show who knows, it might be the beginning, middle and end.

The book will have her identify Stoneheart as nothing good and nothing she wants to become, and when she destroys Stoneheart that will be part of her turning from revenge. The show didn't do Stoneheart so we are left with D&D having to do the arc themselves, the result is contrived nonsense like the scene in question.

Thankfully the other parts to this arc are Nymeria and Gendry which the show has done, so hopefully they will take from GRRM there and it won't be all terrible.
so is stoneheart the one who killed walder frey in the books? where is arya at now?

LSH(with the brotherhood without borders) has been slowly killing them, the show is way ahead of the books.

Walder is still alive in the books.

Freys still being sucks. Lsh, is killing a bunch though.

She's killed a few but most are still alive, including Walder.

okay so it sounds like the show is just doing things completely differently here. If stoneheart was with the bannerless dudes then the whole subplot with the hound would be different and Arya wouldn't...have been back from Braavos so quickly? idk

Slater

Banned
I only worry because I don't know how far off the show has gone from the source material.
Considering how garbage the last 2 books were you don't need to worry anyway.

George getting so much power he could ignore editors was the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise

But it doesn't matter.
If it didn't matter then there wouldn't be gaffers on the front page of every new GRRM thread asking about the books.
Considering how garbage the last 2 books were you don't need to worry anyway.

George getting so much power he could ignore editors was the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise
wait, what? so he's making so much money off of the show that he'll just take hbo's version as a satisfying enough conclusion to the asoiaf saga???

If it didn't matter then there wouldn't be gaffers on the front page of every new GRRM thread asking about the books.
wait, what? so he's making so much money off of the show that he'll just take hbo's version as a satisfying enough conclusion to the asoiaf saga???

To answer your question, yes at this point the show is about 100% different than the books so I wouldn't worry about it. There are certain details that will also be in the books (Hold the door and white walker origins.) but right now the show is it's own thing.

To answer your question, yes at this point the show is about 100% different than the books so I wouldn't worry about it. There are certain details that will also be in the books (Hold the door and white walker origins.) but right now the show is it's own thing.

I hope the "bittersweet ending" at least will be the same.

jett

D-Member
I only worry because I don't know how far off the show has gone from the source material.

ee-EF3.gif

Zolo

Well GRRM recently said he's introducing a massive twist he just thought up (so it can't be in the show) so who knows.

This alone is a big reason why the books would be different alone (if he ends up getting to them). Ideas coming along that he didn't think of during the show.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
so a much bigger deviation than say, the walking dead show vs comic
Sansa never married Ramsay and is safe in the Vale. He married an imposter instead. Like I said, what happens in the books doesn't matter for the show so don't worry about them.

jfkgoblue

Sansa never married Ramsay and is safe in the Vale. He married an imposter instead. Like I said, what happens in the books doesn't matter for the show so don't worry about them.
Yep, Harry the heir storyline is missing from the show.

Fake Arya was pretty stupid though so I really didn't mind the change.

The end result will probably be the same, the Vale comes to Jon's rescue (assuming he get brought back) but it will be because Sansa is married to the Lord of the Vale.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yep, Harry the heir storyline is missing from the show.

Fake Arya was pretty stupid though so I really didn't mind the change.

The end result will probably be the same, the Vale comes to Jon's rescue (assuming he get brought back) but it will be because Sansa is married to the Lord of the Vale.
I liked LF's plan with fArya. He gives the Boltons someone the North will think is real while actually keeping the valuable one.

The good guys staying alive and characters like littlefinger and Jaime dying would be so typical.

I hope that's not where we are heading.

jfkgoblue

LF arranged her though. I didn't say the Boltons didn't know she was fake, only the North.
Oh, yeah he did arrange it. I should reread the books, I am getting rusty on remembering. She is currently with Stannis right?

Also a big change from the books is that Stannis has a lot of the Northern houses on his side in the books. The Karstarks aren't but it is a rogue uncle, not the actual Lord, and Jon marries Alyce off to the Thenn leader, right?

Maybe it will be totally different. Idk.

Still think the Vale saves the Starks though.

Meifu

The one way I see them saving the euron storyline is having him attack the shield islands and kill some highgarden knight. This would make up for that awesome chapter in the book with Victorian.

They also totally missed the chance to get that whole Loras takes dragonstone but gets hurt storyline.

Basically the grejoys are most interesting with victorian, who i cant believe they got rid of

Real Hero

The one way I see them saving the euron storyline is having him attack the shield islands and kill some highgarden knight. This would make up for that awesome chapter in the book with Victorian.

They also totally missed the chance to get that whole Loras takes dragonstone but gets hurt storyline.

Basically the grejoys are most interesting with victorian, who i cant believe they got rid of

Let's be honest they would have removed everything interesting and crazy about Victarion and made just another angry beard man like they did with Euron.They wouldn't even do the lava arm or him hating monkeys laughing at him

Meifu

Let's be honest they would have removed everything interesting and crazy about Victarion and made just another angry beard man like they did with Euron.They wouldn't even do the lava arm or him hating monkeys laughing at him

Youre right, D&W have gotten so wrapped up in their own alternate stories, they forget its Martin's writing that made the story go.

They also forgot that when you kill literally everyone, you need to build up some new characters, which GRR did during book 4 and 5. This show needed to be 8-10 seasons to do the story justice. Even so its still baffling some of the plot decisions they have made

Oh well...at least its pretty and the actors are mostly on point

Top Bottom