• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Navy 4 years away from ship-mounted laser cannon prototypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

Considering the last several major military projects (Army's FGS, Marine Corps' Osprey, F35, F22, and the Stryker) which were developed based on projected future needs of the military instead of what it actually needs today were abject failures at anything other than giving several corporations huge amounts of money, I'd say this stuff is not going to work anytime soon.

Some hints from the article - the solid state laser doesn't work well in polluted conditions. What this actually means is that the solid state laser doesn't work at all in anything but perfect conditions.

The one mega-watt laser isn't yet usable on a ship, which really mean that the megawatt laser sometime works in a laboratory when there's a perfect power supply, the thing is completely stationary, and 150 man hours of maintenance go into it between each shot.

An F22 requires 30 hours of maintenance for every hour of flight. Granted, it can fly off the ship and be stealthy and hit multiple targets before landing. But lazerzzzz!

I would like to know what combat situations they expect to use this in though.

asian250

I'm glad the Navy developed this. Several years back, they had a wargame where our modern navy would be defeated by small vessals. One of the teams was commanded by an admiral that just took a bunch of small vessals to overwhelm an entire fleets defenses. We didn't have an adequate method of stopping smaller vessals from attacking the fleet. Think USS Cole.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm glad the Navy developed this. Several years back, they had a wargame where our modern navy would be defeated by small vessals. One of the teams was commanded by an admiral that just took a bunch of small vessals to overwhelm an entire fleets defenses. We didn't have an adequate method of stopping smaller vessals from attacking the fleet. Think USS Cole.

That's like the Something Awful strategy they used in EVE Online to bring down its largest alliance.

UrokeJoe

real-genius.jpeg

jackson_pop_corn.gif

PBalfredo

The conflict between my inner peacenik and my inner 5-year-old are currently locked in brutal combat regarding how I feel about this.

From the OP said:
“Subsonic cruise missiles, aircraft, fast-moving boats, unmanned aerial vehicles” — Mike Deitchman, who oversees future weapons development for the Office of Naval Research, promises Danger Room that the Navy laser cannons just over the horizon will target them all.

This system looks designed to target things that threaten naval ships (read: Chinese anti-carrier cruise missiles). Bleeding edge weapons that are defensive and fuck awesome? Win-win.

Now if you want some fuck-you-from-a-million-miles-away superweapon for your inner peacenik to agonize over, just look towards the navy's railgun program.

BigDug13

Naval combat nowadays consists of tomohawks or aircraft launches. Not line of sight ship-to-ship fights.

This would have more application if it was jeep mounted.

Tawpgun

Naval combat nowadays consists of tomohawks or aircraft launches. Not line of sight ship-to-ship fights.

This would have more application if it was jeep mounted.

Plane. Put that shit on a blackbird and have it melt things from super high altitude.

Lynn616

Great use of money. This level of defense is certainly necessary to stop those evil guys with box cutters and flight lessons.

They are preparing for a conflict in the Pacific. This seems to be a response to the US Carrier Killer missiles China is building. The lasers would be used for defense more than anything else.

dalin80

Banned
A lot of money being spent on weapons which are useless against the four biggest threats to ships, submarines, sneak attack by a nutjob in a inflatable, mass aircraft and over the horizon sea skimming missiles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
“Subsonic cruise missiles, aircraft, fast-moving boats, unmanned aerial vehicles”

doesn't this sound like a limited range of targets for something that moves at the speed of light?

I guess the tracking will be the limiting factor here. The laser needs to be narrow and focused to have power, which means needing to be very accurate. if you fire a shitton of missiles and have them converge from different directions, it'd still be difficult to defend against

Man, if I had a ship with a Megawatt laser, I'd spend all day just shooting it at the ocean, evaporating hundreds of gallons of water a second. How cool would that be!

If you do some research (or are active duty and assigned w/ the clearance) you learn that the Navy has a space command that challenges the Air Force (currently active) and NASA combined... They just don't advertise it like our CoD AF commercials...

While we all pine for the days of space exploration and grandiose NASA missions, the $$ is in defense and our sweet sweet military industrial complex.
Crunch the number and looks how many jobs are in this country related to private defense companies (I'm one of them) we're in the tens of millions...

NASA will always have enough of a budget to shoot someone or something into orbit for scientific experiments, while a manned Mars missions is a ways off; yet defense tech that has a ROI greater than the expedenture of more and more ships/planes will always be at the forefront. While I don't have all the information I wish I did right now, I can tell you that if you can prove a defense system as applicable to future missions, your going to win the contract, regardless of anything else...just ask Lockheed and their F-35 over runs...

Woorloog

Banned
I have a hard time believing that.

Indeed. Maybe that megawatt laser could do that if it were focused on a very small point and there were no atmosphere interfering and any gas forming on the impact point would vanish right away. Oh and the target shouldn't be moving.

Lasers are not really practical in atmosphere, IMO. Too many issues but very little advantage over conventional weapons, or railguns (which are also a bit impractical, until we get better materials, changing barrel every few shots is not ideal).
Atmosphere caused scattering blinds everyone not looking elsewhere or wearing protective goggles, the weapon is a powerhog (at least cooling is not a big issue on a ship, there's a lot of water around, just stick cooling fins at the bottom of the ship), a lot of the energy is wasted in atmosphere and blooming (the laser ionizes air to plasma, though you could use this to guide an electric shock to the target). Oh and the laser weapon itself is going to be rather large, space-telescope like as you need largish mirrors to focus the beam without it destroying the weapon itself and it is going to be rather fragile as well, likely.

At least they ain't going to use a particle beam weapon in atmosphere, that would cause radiation sickness to anyway close to beam and not behind radiation shields...

EDIT correct me if i'm wrong on anything.
And some may find this interesting, even though this is about lasers in space: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon

Tacitus_

doesn't this sound like a limited range of targets for something that moves at the speed of light?

I guess the tracking will be the limiting factor here. The laser needs to be narrow and focused to have power, which means needing to be very accurate. if you fire a shitton of missiles and have them converge from different directions, it'd still be difficult to defend against

Lasers dissipate in power rather rapidly with distance, not to mention when the air isn't clear. That's why the sea test was such a big deal.

lol holy shit would that work?

No. There are no perfectly reflective surfaces, and a mirror that reflects 99.99% of the incoming beam will have its surface burnt off in a miniscule fraction of a second, after which the beam will carve up whatever was underneath it.

Laser weapons "dwell" on a target until it is disabled or destroyed. Lasers that instantly blow missiles out of the sky are considerably more powerful than the ones that will plausibly exist in the near future, and as such any defense system is going to need line of sight for several seconds (or more). Things moving at 5x the speed of sound are quite difficult to keep a constant bead on; even if you are hitting "the missile" for the whole time it is in view, you are not hitting the same spot on the missile, and thus you will end up doing superficial damage over a large area instead of burning a tight hole through one point.

Lasers are not really practical in atmosphere, IMO.

Too many unknowns involved to say for sure. How powerful can you practically make it? What lavelengths can these systems operate at? How much do they cost? Even at short ranges of tens of kilometers, the light-speed nature of the weapon can make it extremely effective, but then again if its too costly to be deployed on vessels, then what's the point?

They are preparing for a conflict in the Pacific. This seems to be a response to the US Carrier Killer missiles China is building. The lasers would be used for defense more than anything else.

Yep, it's what I thought of right off the bat. Improving point defense for large ships is nothing but a good idea. Sure you steer away from massive supercarriers and use smaller carriers in the future but there'd be no reason not to equip them with this.

Tacitus_

Too many unknowns involved to say for sure. How powerful can you practically make it? What lavelengths can these systems operate at? How much do they cost? Even at short ranges of tens of kilometers, the light-speed nature of the weapon can make it extremely effective, but then again if its too costly to be deployed on vessels, then what's the point?

They only need to make it usable for up to 4km to be a proper replacement for CIWS.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, it's what I thought of right off the bat. Improving point defense for large ships is nothing but a good idea. Sure you steer away from massive supercarriers and use smaller carriers in the future but there'd be no reason not to equip them with this.

If the ONR getting their optical targetting system working along with this laser system they could make all current aircraft and missile technology obsolete. It is no coincidence that they are also working on railguns which would be much harder to intercept.

Sliver

For what reason do we, or anyone else, need this? Why do we spend so much money on trying to improve the rate and speed of which we kill other human beings? It boggles my mind honestly.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
tumblr_lehdvlHXAW1qaurlgo1_400.jpg

By order of the President of the United States of America, all naval combat operations involving laser cannons must be preform following sunset and precising sunrise. The President said of his decision, "It's gonna be one hell of a laser light show, dude."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom