• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Navy to use Xbox controllers on Virginia-class subs for new periscope systems

But it's huge savings for each boat. Every ship in the fleet is cash strapped(remember most of those military budgets don't actually go to the actual military), and a 38k savings can't be undersold. If we could free up that much cash, there are gaskets, filters, even simple supplies like paint brushes I could procure that I have no way to rn due lack of funds.

Oh, I know. I think it's a great idea. It's just not something that moves the needle in the big picture.

calder

Not as funny as that article years ago when the Army was using a 360 controller for a drone or something and the first reply was "hope they don't have anything important mapped to the d-pad".

FiveSide

Banned
This is an awesome story and I love reading about these intersections between consumer products and military equipment.

It's very likely that, as gaming becomes more and more widespread, many professions that rely on remote control interfaces will shift to remote control iunits adapted from gaming ergonomics. Just to make things more intuitive for users raised on those ergonomics.

Goalus

If you are a "most advanced" something in search for an appropriate input device, it only makes sense to use the most advanced input device known to man, good choice!

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Now that we have video game controllers on the real nuclear subs... can someone make a Jane's 688i style nuclear sub sim again? Please?!?

Flux

With those huge cost savings moving away from the other supplier they didn't spring for the Elite controller?

In imaging research we (tried) used to use the Kinect before switching back to a normal 360. It's a pretty natural extension for controlling equipment.

Hilarion

When will I control a mobile suit using Xbox controllers?
I know I'm a new type.

If you're a Newtype, you should be able to simultaneously control bits/funnels with your mind while controlling a suit with a 360 degree view with something that looks like an Atari joystick.

Those later UC suits with the total visibility on all sides so it makes the pilot feel like he's suspended in space would be a trip to fly in.

Klocker

the photonic mast handgrip and imaging control panel that cost about $38,000 can be replaced with an Xbox controller that typically costs less than $30.

That is both sad and awesome at the same time

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am now imagining Microsoft manufacturing them for $500 a piece in 20 years, with the Military refusing to use different ones.

I was going to question whether durability would be a problem, but I guess you could just keep a whole closet full of spares for whenever someone destroys one of these things and the logistics are way better than having to repair a $30,000 piece of bespoke hardware

Reminds me of this.

Rows of ps3’s forming a supercomputer for the air force.

ht_air_force_ps3_091207_mn.jpg

Top Bottom