• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[US] new boxarts -- (56k no)

243418.jpg
243787.jpg
243962.jpg
244153.jpg
243790.jpg
242152.jpg

241356.jpg
242201.jpg
241016.jpg
240361.jpg

220234b.jpg
281035b.jpg
281099b.jpg

281016b.jpg
280995b.jpg
210590b.jpg
210592b.jpg
280951b.jpg
T000096b.jpg
280937b.jpg

My apologies if some of these might actually be old news.

I like "Phantasy Star Trilogy", apparently Sega is hoping we're all idiots who don't know there are actually four games, and they decided not to give us one and hope we won't notice.

Oh, and the KOF2k3 one is the only good boxart there. Figures. Who are these people that keep buying bass fishing games, and where the hell do they come from?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Errr, the very word 'Trilogy' implies that there are three games, so how would one think that all four are there?

Fusebox

Banned
Pfft, my 56k modem laughs at your pathetic warning.

Red Ninja, ESPN and Hot Shots have my fave covers from that batch.

Errr, the very word 'Trilogy' implies that there are three games, so how would one think that all four are there?

Exactly. They're trying to pretend PS3 never existed. I don't care whether you liked it or not, that's bullshit. RPG fans want all the games, not just the ones Sega feels like giving to us. Phantasy Star Collection for Saturn had all 4 games, tons of bonus features, etc., and that shit was released eons ago. We get...this. Fucking YIPPIE.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
what exactly is Phantasy Star Trilogy?
Ebgames does not have it listed, Gamestop does with virtually no info

jiggle

Suikoguy said:
what exactly is Phantasy Star Trilogy?
Ebgames does not have it listed, Gamestop does with virtually no info

Its the Sega Ages remake of the Phantasy Star games, I think, being sold as one game. Thanks SCEA:)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I like the PS2 Madden cover a lot more than the Xbox version... it looks classier to me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
SolidSnakex said:
Remakes of PS1, PS2 and PS4.

Oh, so those screens we saw a while back are being released here?
Thats pretty cool for people who never played PSO
Are they redoing the music too?

And yes, pretty stupid not to include 3, oh well at least they included 4

Edit:

and its looks to be 20 too

And what's their excuse for taking 8 years to translate the game this time? Jesus I'm getting sick of this. It will probably sell more here than it did in Japan, this is a joke. Namco has lost it.

AniHawk

Neutron Night said:
And what's their excuse for taking 8 years to translate the game this time? Jesus I'm getting sick of this. It will probably sell more here than it did in Japan, this is a joke. Namco has lost it.

It takes a year to do all of their games. IIRC, there's full voice acting, so that has to be taken into account. BK will take a year to do, XS Episode I took a year, and ToS will be almost a year.

belgurdo

Banned
Neutron Night said:
Exactly. They're trying to pretend PS3 never existed. I don't care whether you liked it or not, that's bullshit. RPG fans want all the games, not just the ones Sega feels like giving to us. Phantasy Star Collection for Saturn had all 4 games, tons of bonus features, etc., and that shit was released eons ago. We get...this. Fucking YIPPIE.

Actually, it's more like collectors want III in the collection, because most everyone who played it back in the day on both sides of the ocean hated it...

It takes a year to do all of their games. IIRC, there's full voice acting, so that has to be taken into account. BK will take a year to do, XS Episode I took a year, and ToS will be almost a year.

Um...no it doesn't. If I was fluent in Japanese I could look over the transcript and translate it in a few days AT THE MOST. They could localize it simultanously, it release it in both territories at the same time. But Namco, like most Japanese companies, doesn't give a shit.

Actually, it's more like collectors want III in the collection, because most everyone who played it back in the day on both sides of the ocean hated it...

Who cares? Collectors are the ones who buy this stuff, not normal people. If you complain that the game isn't good by today's standards, then you're missing the point of buying old outdated games.

AniHawk

Neutron Night said:
Um...no it doesn't. If I was fluent in Japanese I could look over the transcript and translate it in a few days AT THE MOST. They could localize it simultanously, it release it in both territories at the same time. But Namco, like most Japanese companies, doesn't give a shit.

Who cares? Collectors are the ones who buy this stuff, not normal people. If you complain that the game isn't good by today's standards, then you're missing the point of buying old outdated games.

Tell us how you really feel.

belgurdo

Banned
Neutron Night said:

1. There's a difference between a polished translation (which takes a year or longer) and "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol we is DeJap" (via the "few days' plan" you mentioned)

2. Who said anything about today's standards? That game was shit back in 1991 or whenever and updating the graphics and changing the music won't help unless it gets and exhaustive gameplay makeover.

I see Hot Shots Fore - one of the most hideous box arts in recent memory - has both "the fat guy" and "the nerd" featured on the cover. So much for the early reports that the Japanese character roster would be left untouched, I guess. Here's hoping they just added in the horrible US characters in addition to the Japanese ones, rather than swapping them out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PS3 wasn't the epitome of RPG gaming back in its day, and honestly was nowhere near as good as its predecessor, but it wasn't a terrible game.

And I agree about the PS Trilogy thing, it's irksome because the series is NOT a trilogy. Well, at least PS Collection on the GBA has an easily accessible version of PS1 + PS2 + PS3. Only, it's missing PS4. *sighs*

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Neutron Night said:
If I was fluent in Japanese I could look over the transcript and translate it in a few days AT THE MOST.
hs2.jpg

"I disagree"

hs6.jpg

And X gets the square!

Bog

Junior Ace
If I see anyone on my Xdude Live Friends list playing "Juiced", they're getting deleted.

Mashing

There's more to translating the game than just putting the text in english. Some games have Japanese culture stuff in them that American audiences wouldn't have any clue about... that stuff has to be redone (art assets, voice acting and text translation). It would be like putting in an American Football minigame in a Final Fantasy game in the Japanese version

lordmrw

I like the Phantasy Star, KOF, Wild Arms, and for some reason, the Baiten Kaitos box art the best. God, i really hope Advent Rising doesn't suck. The video i watched had interesting ideas, its just the execution of them that has me worried.

Grifter

GGI isn't out for like 4 months, is that the final box art? Prolly is if it's the JPN art, seeing as it's a lot less offensive (or cool) than the GGXX JPN box.

PS1, 2, and 4 in a box is pretty tacky, were they separate releases in JPN?

I need the non-shitty JPN characters in HS4!

BTW, most of these boxes are sweet.

Bog

Junior Ace
Grifter said:
GGI isn't out for like 4 months, is that the final box art? Prolly is if it's the JPN art, seeing as it's a lot less offensive (or cool) than the GGXX JPN box.

PS1, 2, and 4 in a box is pretty tacky, were they separate releases in JPN?

I need the non-shitty JPN characters in HS4!

BTW, most of these boxes are sweet.

Give Dodee back his $5.

1. There's a difference between a polished translation (which takes a year or longer) and "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol we is DeJap" (via the "few days' plan" you mentioned)

Um, I'm quite good at writing. My first draft would surpass two-thirds of current RPG translations. Assuming I knew Japanese as well as I know English, which I don't, but SOMEONE out there has to. I doubt it takes a year to write the damn thing in the first place, let alone translate it. People have written novels in less than a week.

2. Who said anything about today's standards? That game was shit back in 1991 or whenever and updating the graphics and changing the music won't help unless it gets and exhaustive gameplay makeover.

My point is that the other games aren't that great anymore either. I tried playing PS1 on my NES emulator some time ago, I was like "Shit, where's the beef?". It's amazing what games were like in the days before story and presentation.

Mashing There's more to translating the game than just putting the text in english. Some games have Japanese culture stuff in them that American audiences wouldn't have any clue about... that stuff has to be redone (art assets, voice acting and text translation). It would be like putting in an American Football minigame in a Final Fantasy game in the Japanese version

There isn't anyone that knows both cultures? Come on. If something doesn't make sense in English, then you change it to something that does. This does not take a year.

243418.jpg

Pixar just called, they want the dog from Toy Story 2 back.

Grubdog

Banned
john tv said:
HAHAHA...no.
Why not? Please excuse my ignorance, but what is so hard about translating it into English that it takes a year to do? If you know both languages, I can't imagine it taking more than a few days.. but there has to be a reason that's flown straight across my head. This has been bugging me for quite a while. Can you elaborate?

Top Bottom