• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Digital Preorder + Bonus Mission available for Now Available

Dr. Claus

Banned

Platform(s): PS4, PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
Release Date: September 25th, 2018 for NA and EU

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is now available for digital preorder on the PS4, PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch with a Theme and Avatar set if you order on PS4. A demo is also available on all consoles to download today. If you preorder digitally, you will get the downloadable side mission "A Captainless Squad". This mission features a group of Squad E soldiers on an impromptu reconnaissance operation after the Ragnarok, the medic dog, goes missing. The mission will be available as a standalone add-on for $4.99 in the later half of October.

Sega said:
In the Valkyria Chronicles 4 Demo, available now as a free download on the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, and Nintendo Switch eShop, you’ll join Commander Claude Wallace and his comrades in Squad E as they begin the first steps of Operation Northern Cross. Experience the series’ signature watercolor aesthetic as presented by the CANVAS Engine and get a feel for the innovative tactical BLiTZ system before the full game launches on September 25. Play through the prologue and first two chapters of the game, as well as an exclusive bonus mission created for the demo. Demo save data, including items obtained, class levels, earned experience, and currency total will transfer over to the full game, so you can pick up right where you left off. Additionally, importing save data from the demo will net you an exclusive accessory for use in the full game.​
What are your thoughts, GAF? Are you hyped for a return to form in the VC series? Will you be playing the Demo or will you be waiting for the release?

EDIT (9/04/18): DLC list Added, courtesy of Agent_4Seven Agent_4Seven .
Launch and post-launch DLCs announced:

BqsiziP.jpg

Thank fuck there'll be Japanese VO as free DLC. Now, SEGA, would you kindly show us unboxing of Memoirs from Battle Premium Edition already? I want to see the real thing before I'll decide which version to buy, goddamnit.

Last edited:

Mibuokami

Will definitely buy the game at launch.... just don't know yet for which platform - PC or Switch.

Get it for Switch. This game is perfect for the Switch's stop&go play-style because it's turnbase and the game design make it easy on the eye even with the Switch hardware.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Get it for Switch. This game is perfect for the Switch's stop&go play-style because it's turnbase and the game design make it easy on the eye even with the Switch hardware.
The first game plays perfectly fine on PC and I've enjoyed every second of it back when it came out. Right now i'm using "wait and see" approach and if PC version we'll be protected by Denuvo (and i'm sure it will) then Switch version it is. I'm also waiting for Collector's Edition unboxing videos to see if it's worth to pay 8K RUB to get a tank figurine.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I want a Switch vs other consoles full comparison before I get this game tbh.

sublimit

Banned
Oh wow i didn't even knew there was a demo available!Thanks for the heads up! Not that i need a demo mind you. The first game was one of my favorite and most unique games i've played last generation and VC4 looks to be a triumphant return to form. I'll be getting the collectors edition!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well...

5FC6wV0.jpg

Fuck that, physical Switch version it is which i can buy for 2000K RUB instead of 2500K for PC version.

Last edited:

Senhua

Going from preorder/day one to wait for sale.
Too expensive from my regional price (SEA) on STEAM here for now.
Will wait for sale for at least 50% one year later.

I just put a solid 3 hrs into the very generous Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo and no I’m not even done the story portions of what’s been provided. (In this demo, like the Octopath Traveler demo, it allows you to pickup where you left off with your saved data from the demo; I love that this is becoming a thing with demos)

As a hardcore fan since rolling the dice on the original Valkyria Chronicles during its launch in 2008. I paid the ‘then’ expensive price of admission of $79.99 CAD and invested 70+ hrs to do everything there was to do in the PS3 JRPG satire of WWII. Then I loved it so much I imported the super rare Japanese exclusive collectors edition with the Edelweiss tank, seriously there weren’t many google images of it until I uploaded a few.

I can tell you without a doubt this is the sequel, we’ve all been waiting for since the original.

The gameplay, plays almost identically to the original Valkyria Chronicles. There are some improvements like the Grenadier class, which provides mortar support on foot, with the range of a tank.

All of the staples that made the original Valkyria Chronicles stand out are here, the training field, R&D department, weapons upgrade, skirmish matches, character bios, storybook menu and that gorgeous cel shading animation style.

The cast of characters have been decent, my favorites being Sgt. Raz & Lina. It can also be said that the squads leader Claude Wallace takes some ques from squad 7’s Welkin Gunther.

I’m not going to throw in much more. I will say if you’re a fan of the original Valkyria Chronicles and you were deeply saddened that VC3 never officially got localized in the west despite everything great you’d heard, this game (from what I’ve played) seems like a great apology and should make you feel right back at home in the middle of the second Europan War.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Just like CloudStrife_ca said this demo is a beast.I have also put around 2 and a half hours into it yesterday and there is still so much more to do. Big thanks to Sega that will allow us to carry our save data to the main game.

As for the game what can i say.The moment i started the demo and the new (awesome) main theme played i got some serious goosebumps and it reminded me of the time when i first played the original demo of the first VC on PS3 which i had loved so much.I loved that they have kept everything that made the original the classic that it was but also added some small additions like the mortar class.

The only thing i want Sega to add in the game if possible is a proper photo mode.The game's art direction is drop dead gorgeous. Seriously i just couldn't stop taking screenshots. A dedicated photo mode where we could move the camera freely would have been perfect!

My only extremelly small nitpick is that when you move a team member from active to reserves (and the opposite) they don't talk as much as they were in the first game when you took them out from your active team. Other than that small nitpick i loved my time with the demo and of course i'll continue playing it until i finish it. Then the long wait for the game will begin.

Last edited:

bigedole

I bought the original on PS3 by pure chance and I really loved it. I've got the remaster waiting for me to play as soon as I get my ps4 back in a week and I'm so ridiculously excited for this game. So happy to hear all the positive impressions!

loki 16

Idk if I should get this for PS4 or switch. The portability seems appalling, but if the game going to look and perform better on PS4 I’m just going to get it there.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Idk if I should get this for PS4 or switch. The portability seems appalling, but if the game going to look and perform better on PS4 I’m just going to get it there.
The game looks exactly the same as the first VC which is at best looks like PS2 game overall so... 720p 60 Portable / 1080p 60 TV for sure - 1000000%. But if you want to play in 4K, PC or PS4 Pro / XONE X is the best option.

Even though i've PC on which i can play VC / VC4 in 4K, i'll go for Switch version cuz i wan't to have physical version and i can get the game for Switch for only 2000K RUB and PC version cost 2500K and there will be only digital version protected by goddamn Denuvo.

Last edited:
Gonna pick this up for the XBO:X. PC DRM is a no-go, and I'm getting bored with my PS4 and may sell it after I'm done with Dad of War.

loki 16

The game looks exactly the same as the first VC which is at best looks like PS2 game overall so... 720p 60 Portable / 1080p 60 TV for sure - 1000000%. But if you want to play in 4K, PC or PS4 Pro / XONE X is the best option.

Even though i've PC on which i can play VC / VC4 in 4K, i'll go for Switch version cuz i wan't to have physical version and i can get the game for Switch for only 2000K RUB and PC version cost 2500K and there will be only digital version protected by goddamn Denuvo.
I just watch some comparison videos between the PS4 and switch and they basically look and perform the same. So I’ll probably get it for switch.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What? It looks like PS2 game in terms of graphical assets, simple level design, lack of huge number of objects on maps and overall flat look. Can you honestly argue with that? It's not like i'm saying it's bad, furthermore, these games look great as is but they're nowhere near at the level of at least Ni no Kuni II or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which cannot be played on Switch in 1080p 60.

Last edited:

Lightsbane

What? It looks like PS2 game in terms of graphical assets, simple level design, lack of huge number of objects on maps and overall flat look. Can you honestly argue with that? It's not like i'm saying it's bad, furthermore, these games look great as is but it's nowhere near at the level of at least Ni no Kuni II or Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

You wouldn't happen to be interested in selling this PS2 of yours, would you?

Because I'm currently (re)playing VC Remastered and it looks incredible. And this one looks even better...

What? It looks like PS2 game in terms of graphical assets, simple level design, lack of huge number of objects on maps and overall flat look. Can you honestly argue with that? It's not like i'm saying it's bad, furthermore, these games look great as is but it's nowhere near at the level of at least Ni no Kuni II or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which cannot be playd on Swith in 1080p 60.

I have to agree to disagree, the full 360 degree movement of the camera in the battlefield alone with the level of detail in objects, characters, tanks, in that cel shading, water colour look, makes this game one of my personal favs visually, as an artist.

I definitely don't remember anything that came close to looking like this on the PS2, God of War II was arguably the best looking PS2 game and that doesn't come close to this visually.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You wouldn't happen to be interested in selling this PS2 of yours, would you?
I don't have PS2 for at least 10 years or so.

Because I'm currently (re)playing VC Remastered and it looks incredible.
Can't argue with that cuz i've said already that even though the game is not a technical powerhouse it still looks great for what it is.

And this one looks even better...
How come? Personally, i can't see any difference between VC and VC 4 in terms of overall picture quality, assets and level design.

level of detail in objects, characters, tanks, in that cel shading, water colour look, makes this game one of my personal favs visually
Same here.

I definitely don't remember anything that came close to looking like this on the PS2, God of War II was arguably the best looking PS2 game and that doesn't come close to this visually.
Have you played VC3 on PSP?

For sure, character models and overall texture quality are much better in VC and VC4. but everything else not by a whole lot, especially level design and its complexity.

I don't know guys, for me the game visually wasn't improved all that much in comparison to the first VC and personally i don't care about it. It's just VC4 looks like HD Remaster of VC or VC3 to me which is okay and absolutely fine, cuz otherwise 720p 60 / 1080p 60 would've been possible on Switch, not to mention 4K 60 on PC, PS4 Pro / XONE X.

Last edited:

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I don't have PS2 for at least 10 years or so.

Can't argue with that cuz i've said already that even though the game is not a technical powerhouse it still looks great for what it is.

How come? Personally, i can't see any difference between VC and VC 4 in terms of overall picture quality, assets and level design.

Same here.

Have you played VC3 on PSP?

For sure, character models and overall texture quality are much better in VC and VC4. but everything else not by a whole lot, especially level design and its complexity.

I don't know guys, for me the game visually wasn't improved all that much in comparison to the first VC and personally i don't care about it. It's just VC4 looks like HD Remaster of VC or VC3 to me which is okay and absolutely fine, cuz otherwise 720p 60 / 1080p 60 would've been possible on Switch, not to mention 4K 60 on PC, PS4 Pro / XONE X.

And in all honestly, it's not going to look significantly better 2 generations of hardware from now, moreso because of the visual design they're going for. Another comparison would be Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Odyssey, there's a noticable improvement, but it's not world-shattering because the style they choose for the series doesn't lend itself to showcasing such things.

Lightsbane

Then you aren't looking very hard. Look at the weather effects. Absolutely phenomenal in this one.

And the characters look slightly more defined, Remastered had a "softer" look.

DonF

Do we have any info on frame rate for ps4/pro ? I tried it on switch portable and looks awesome! But I would like to play it on ps4 pro, if it looks way better and runs smoother.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Then you aren't looking very hard. Look at the weather effects. Absolutely phenomenal in this one.
As if it changes anything else. Plus, who cares about water in VC?))))

And in all honestly, it's not going to look significantly better 2 generations of hardware from now, moreso because of the visual design they're going for. Another comparison would be Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Odyssey, there's a noticable improvement, but it's not world-shattering because the style they choose for the series doesn't lend itself to showcasing such things.
I don't care about noticeable improvements at all when it comes to VC visuals, to me it's perfect as is right now, even thogh as i've said it reminds me a lot of PS2 games in terms of level design and overall simple and flat look of them.

And the characters look slightly more defined, Remastered had a "softer" look.
Personaly, i like VC character models more, were as in VC 4 they almost look like characters models in say Fire Emblem Warriors and i really don't like it all that much cuz it gives them shitty CGI-like feel. To put it simply, i like actual artwork style character designs of say Fire Emblem Echoes over any 3D stuff and i wish developers were able to somehow make in-game character models look as actual artworks without visual novel style conversations and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it's possible, even though hard to do.

Last edited:

Lightsbane

As if it changes anything else. Plus, who cares about water in VC?))))

Water, rain (totally not water), snow, fog, fire. Better smoke.

Normally I'm all for subjectivity in these things but this one is, objectively, better in visual terms. They improved the areas that could (and should) be improved, and it shows.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Water, rain (totally not water), snow, fog, fire. Better smoke.
You simply can't do better than Batman: Arkham Knight when it comes to rain, water, fire etc.

U8D9piE.jpg

There's some top level shit in this game you can't see anywhere else and all of this was built in UE3.

I just finished up the demo, clocking in at 4hrs 15 mins including finishing both Skirmish missions. This was a very generous demo, Sega thought ahead though, using my experience in the training field I could only rank up my classes to a rank of lvl 4 max. My thought was to just keep playing the Skirmish missions and rank up my classes abit before the actual game came out, get some of that grinding out of the way now. Upon beating the story mode, there is a bonus mission exclusive to the demo, I haven't played that yet but once again a very generous demo from Sega and confirmation Valkyria Chronicles is back to its prime form.

I just finished up the demo, clocking in at 4hrs 15 mins including finishing both Skirmish missions. This was a very generous demo, Sega thought ahead though, using my experience in the training field I could only rank up my classes to a rank of lvl 4 max. My thought was to just keep playing the Skirmish missions and rank up my classes abit before the actual game came out, get some of that grinding out of the way now. Upon beating the story mode, there is a bonus mission exclusive to the demo, I haven't played that yet but once again a very generous demo from Sega and confirmation Valkyria Chronicles is back to its prime form.
How do you access the bonus story mission? I beat the demo and I can't seem to find it. I have two skirmish maps available.

I loved every bit of the demo and it just makes me wanna play the full game earlier, especially given the crazy cliffhanger they left us with at the end. Already loving the character and story overall. Is progress getting carried over? If so I might just grind skirmishes to get the classes as high as possible.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SeAp9wz.gif

I finally got time to play the demo and god damn I LOVE this game. This the sequel I always wanted but never got it. $129.99 I payed for CE is worth every penny.

Last edited:
How do you access the bonus story mission? I beat the demo and I can't seem to find it. I have two skirmish maps available.

I loved every bit of the demo and it just makes me wanna play the full game earlier, especially given the crazy cliffhanger they left us with at the end. Already loving the character and story overall. Is progress getting carried over? If so I might just grind skirmishes to get the classes as high as possible.

You'll need to go back to the main menu (so out of the book mode and back to the title screen) and its at the bottom, took me a sec too.

I think I'm going to triple dip it :) Day one PS4 version and later when it get's cheaper PC version and when I'll get Switch I'll try to get it there also.

I played the first one back in the day and liked it. What happened to 2 and 3?

They were released on PSP and part 3 never left Japan since PSP was dead in the west when it was released.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Can somebody comment on the file size of the switch demo? I'm itching to download it, but I might hit my mobile quota.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Has anyone noticed that sometimes when you press X to crouch or climb up a ladder it doesn't respond immediately?Sometimes i have to press it twice in order for the character to perform the action. I wonder if my controller has a problem or if it's the game's issue. I'll have to check with my second controller just to be sure...

Has anyone noticed that sometimes when you press X to crouch or climb up a ladder it doesn't respond immediately?Sometimes i have to press it twice in order for the character to perform the action. I wonder if my controller has a problem or if it's the game's issue. I'll have to check with my second controller just to be sure...

No issues with this for me last night in the last story mission, I remember the original being like this a little but if anything I found it to be abit more smooth.

Top Bottom