• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's marketing director: Half Life 2 30% faster on ATI hardware

Izzy

Banned
He also mentioned system specs for those of you interested in upgrading your computers in eager anticipation of Gordon's adventures. Minimum system requirements appear to be a 1.2 gigahertz processor with 256 megabytes of RAM and a DirectX 7 video card. Of course, those of you interested in the full experience will want a 2 gigahertz or higher processor, 512 megabytes of RAM and a DirectX 9 video card. Doug specifically stated that the ATI x800 was the card of choice amongst many of the testers, as it ran roughly about 30% faster than Nvidia's best cards."

Doug Lombardi

SyNapSe

So, do those coupons for a free copy of HL2 that people got with 9600 and 9800XT's still work? Even though it didn't come out last year?

Hajaz

no surprise really.
With the 6800 beeing a bit better at doom3 because of the mixed precision path the card is using, while the x800 can only do it in full precision, alot of people have been getting a wrong picture of what both cards can actually do when using the same path.

For DX9 games itsobvious that the r97/98/x800 series will seriously outperform their Nv counterparts

Drexon

Banned
Hmmm, my birthday is on the 27th this month, that gives me roughly 6 days to get my new system, hope I make it. =)

Culex

Banned
SyNapSe said:
So, do those coupons for a free copy of HL2 that people got with 9600 and 9800XT's still work? Even though it didn't come out last year?

Yes the coupons are good.

Yes this news is old, ancient even.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wow, short of an x800 card, I may actually be able to play HL2. I'm shocked, I thought my computer was kicked to the side of the gaming curb a year ago.

Not that I do much PC gaming anyway, but it falling above HL2's minimum specs leaves me with a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I'll wait to see the benchmarks, im not upgrading my PC yet since doom3 doesnt have me excited one bit, so im waiting for Tribes Vengeance, Half life 2 and Vampire the masquerade.

HL2 and Vampire the masquerade are two of my most anticipated games on PC, especially the later, after watching 30 mins of its ~650MB video, the way it reminds me of deus ex, got me all hyped up.

I find it hard that there's a 30% difference though, ATI probably pulled something ala nvidia's "the way its meant to be played", aka biasing the devs to make the game run better on hardware X over hardware Y. But we'll see..

SKluck

Banned
SyNapSe said:

I believe the coupons are only for the singleplayer version though.

Top Bottom