• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower PSP website UP

ourumov said:
No you can't.
Why not? It's not like this game is a powerhouse or something. It's basic at best, the sprites are small, maybe the animation is better than some GBA fighter, but beside that, I don't see why it couldn't have been made on GBA.

Hmmm...looks like it'll cop out just like the DC one....and not include all of the backgrounds and music tracks from the first two games....which had superior backgrounds and music compared to the 3rd series stuff...

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
MightyHedgehog said:
Hmmm...looks like it'll cop out just like the DC one...

Yeah, I was kind of hoping they'd beef that side of things up from the port, but still, I'm a sucker. Roll on December.

u_neek

Littleberu said:
Ok. So can somebody tell me why this looks like a Saturn game? I could play this on GBA you know.

Yeah, good luck inserting a UMD-disc into your GBA...

ourumov

Why not? It's not like this game is a powerhouse or something. It's basic at best, the sprites are small, maybe the animation is better than some GBA fighter, but beside that, I don't see why it couldn't have been made on GBA.
You know it's not the same. GBA's limited sound capabailities, resolution and button layout / D-PAD make the experience totally different.
Sure SFA3 was great but I never enjoyed it like all the other incarnations and that's because 4button gameplay sucked, the faces were 2 pixels and the sound was crappy GBC sound.

Simple for PSP ? True. But that's another matter.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
duckroll said:
Damn this looks SWEET! Screw you Capcom, why do you want me to have a PSP? >_<

IAWTP

I hope they bring all of their other CPS2 and CPS3 fighters out as well. A Street Fighter Alpha Collection, SF Collection (but this time include all 3 versions of SF3) and a few Marvel/VS collections would be great.

jarrod

Banned
Hopefully Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and Capcom Fighting Evolution ports are in the works too. I'd like MegaMan Anniversary Collection too. :)

What's up with SNKP though... why aren't we getting tons of Neo/AW ports from them instead of a shitty 3D KOF? :/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:
Hopefully Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and Capcom Fighting Evolution ports are in the works too. I'd like MegaMan Anniversary Collection too. :)

What's up with SNKP though... why aren't we getting tons of Neo/AW ports from them instead of a shitty 3D KOF? :/

1. the 3D KOF isn't shitty.
2. It's going to be a NEW version of Maximum Impact made specifically for PSP.
3. It's better than Capcom just continually porting old games. :p

How about a release of Capcom Fighting Jam for the PSP?

Lyte Edge said:

Yeah I agree with Lyte Edge! It's probably not a tournament worthy title, but a great game nonetheless. Support SNK and purchase a copy of KoF: MI
rob1.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
JC10001 said:
IAWTP

I hope they bring all of their other CPS2 and CPS3 fighters out as well. A Street Fighter Alpha Collection, SF Collection (but this time include all 3 versions of SF3) and a few Marvel/VS collections would be great.

Capcom can't release any of their games with Marvel characters in them anymore, even if it's in a re-release "collection". You can thank Activision for that.

MoxManiac

Uh huh. So you want tiny, barely recognizable characters, butchered music, horrible control scheme due to lack of buttons, and missing animation?

SFA3 GBA was a truimph for the system, but it's still pretty far from the CPS2/SS/DC versions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Littleberu said:

As other people have already stated, there is no way the GBA could properly handle a CPS2 fighter. SFAIII was very impressive for the hardware, but it didn't even begin to approach the PSX port (let alone the superior CPS2 original and DC/Saturn ports).

Lemme guess, you see 2D and just assume that it can be done on SNES class hardware?

"Oh, teh 2D!!11 GBA can run this!!"

Let's see Metal Slug 3 or Third Strike on GBA. Yeah, now THAT would be a laugh...

dark10x said:
As other people have already stated, there is no way the GBA could properly handle a CPS2 fighter. SFAIII was very impressive for the hardware, but it didn't even begin to approach the PSX port (let alone the superior CPS2 original and DC/Saturn ports).

Lemme guess, you see 2D and just assume that it can be done on SNES class hardware?

"Oh, teh 2D!!11 GBA can run this!!"

Let's see Metal Slug 3 or Third Strike on GBA. Yeah, now THAT would be a laugh...

Third Strike is CPS3. CPS2 could be done perfectly on GBA if it had an higher resolution. There this game, a beat em up, can't remember the name, in which the animation is damn close to the one in SFA3 DC.

dark10x

Littleberu said:
Third Strike is CPS3. CPS2 could be done perfectly on GBA if it had an higher resolution. There this game, a beat em up, can't remember the name, in which the animation is damn close to the one in SFA3 DC.

No, you're absolutely wrong.

You are probably thinking of Gekido, BTW. That does animate well, but it still isn't up to CPS2 levels...

Metal Slug 3 is running on hardware that pre-dates the SNES...and there is no way in hell that you could run that on GBA.

dark10x said:
No, you're absolutely wrong.

You are probably thinking of Gekido, BTW. That does animate well, but it still isn't up to CPS2 levels...

Metal Slug 3 is running on hardware that pre-dates the SNES...and there is no way in hell that you could run that on GBA.

ARCADE hardware. 900$ Hardware. We're not in the same league here.

dark10x

Littleberu said:
ARCADE hardware. 900$ Hardware. We're not in the same league here.

Exactly.

The GBA isn't in the same league and couldn't handle NEOGEO, CPS2, or CPS3 games.

dark10x

Littleberu said:
It could if it had an higher resolution. And Gekido IS damn close to CPS2.

You keep saying "resolution" as if that is the only factor...

The fact of the matter is, nobody has pulled off a perfect CPS2 port on the GBA. SFAIII was a very solid effort, but it just isn't going to get any better than that. There isn't enough ram available for these games. The fact that SFAIII on GBA isn't even up to the standards of the downgraded PSX version of the game pretty much kills any chance of seeing perfect CPS2 games on the machine. Gekido may have animated well, but the number of animations present for moves was significantly lower than a dedicated fighter.

You get sub-PSX 2D combined with absolutely ruined audio and limited controls. That's pretty damn far from perfect. You could certainly do decent versions of most CPS2 games on the GBA, but they just wouldn't be close to matching the originals.

That's the point. You will never see perfect CPS2 games on the GBA. Period.

dark10x said:
You keep saying "resolution" as if that is the only factor...

The fact of the matter is, nobody has pulled off a perfect CPS2 port on the GBA. SFAIII was a very solid effort, but it just isn't going to get any better than that. There isn't enough ram available for these games. The fact that SFAIII on GBA isn't even up to the standards of the downgraded PSX version of the game pretty much kills any chance of seeing perfect CPS2 games on the machine. Gekido may have animated well, but the number of animations present for moves was significantly lower than a dedicated fighter.

You get sub-PSX 2D combined with absolutely ruined audio and limited controls. That's pretty damn far from perfect. You could certainly do decent versions of most CPS2 games on the GBA, but they just wouldn't be close to matching the originals.

That's the point. You will never see perfect CPS2 games on the GBA. Period.

And I never said you will. It's just that Vampire Chronicle isn't impressive for a PSP games, and that graphically it could have been done on GBA.

dark10x

Littleberu said:
And I never said you will. It's just that Vampire Chronicle isn't impressive for a PSP games, and that graphically it could have been done on GBA.

The version of the game you see on PSP could not be replicated on GBA. It would suffer from the same issues found in SFAIII GBA.

No, scratch that, it would be worse. You see, this PSP game does not simply include ONE fighter with a set number of characters...it is a collection which includes even more content than the Dreamcast game. Not ONLY that, the sprites in this title are larger than SFAIII's -AND- there can be more of them on the screen at one time (in the form of large special attacks). The game is doing more with sprites than SFAIII. The GBA couldn't handle SFAIII CPS2 and would only do worse when trying to handle this.

The DC, PSP, and CPS2 versions of the game all look very much the same (outside of the aspect ratio difference). A GBA version of the game would feature significantly reduced visuals, terrible audio, a fraction of the features, and hacked up controls. If you were the type of person who felt that the PSX version of Marvel VS Capcom 2 was "just fine", you'd probably be satisfied with a hacked up GBA version. However, most people don't feel that way...

So this isn't impressive for a PSP game you say? It wasn't impressive on Dreamcast either, but that doesn't mean people didn't want the game. Is Metal Slug 3 impressive for XBOX? Hell no it's not. It isn't ABOUT the visuals here, it's about a feature packed, arcade perfect version of a 2D game ON THE GO. The GBA could NOT deliver that. End of argument.

dark10x

They actually look somewhat comparable in stills, though. Once they start moving, however, the difference becomes very clear...

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
1. passable seems more accurate? Whoopee!

Lyte Edge said:
2. It's going to be a NEW version of Maximum Impact made specifically for PSP.
2. Just like The Chaos Tower is a new version of Vampire Chronicle made specifically for PSP?

Lyte Edge said:
3. It's better than Capcom just continually porting old games. :p
3. Uh... isn't Millenium Impact a tweaked port too? I wonder if VJoe and DMC PSP will be new or ported?

Lyte Edge said:
How about a release of Capcom Fighting Jam for the PSP?
Yes please. And NGBC too. :)

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
As other people have already stated, there is no way the GBA could properly handle a CPS2 fighter.
I think earlier stuff (SSF2/X, Vampire, SFA1) could be done reasonably well, almost perfect outside resolution. The thing that really hurts GBA the most is it's format limitations (4MB-16MB mainly) rather than it's system capabilities (it actually has a higher spec chipset than either CPS2 or NeoGeo on paper... held back somewhat by sectioned RAM pools though). If Crawfish had more than an 8MB ROM to work with they likely could've used higher detail sprites, added all backgrounds, different endings, different voices, etc... as is though the GBA port is pretty great though, with even more animation frames per fighter than the PS1 port and 3 extra fighters over any previous version crammed in there. Amazing job considering the ROM limitations, Capcom should've brought Crawfish when they had the chance. :)

Top Bottom