• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon might offer 5Mbit/2Mbit at $40 soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verizon 'Fios': 15-Mbit/s Downloads For $44.95/Mo.

Verizon Wireless announced plans to offer 30-Mbit/s fiber connection to the home for customers throughout this year at prices that seem astoundingly affordable.
Verizon said it had begun fiber-to-the-home deployments, called "Fios", in California and Florida. The connections, which route high-speed fiber-optic connections directly to the home -- in place of a cable or a high-speed DSL connection over a phone line -- will be first be deployed in Keller, Tex.

Verizon's prices, however, may rewrite the compeitive landscape. The company plans to offer plans that offer 5-Mbit downloads/2-Mbit uploads for just $39.95 a month, or $34.95 a month as part of an existing Verizon plan. The mid-tier upgrade, however, will offer a whopping 15-Mbits/s down and 2-Mbits/s upstream for just $49.95 a month, or $44.95 a month as part of an existing package. Prices for the 30-Mbit offering have not been set.

"Fios will set the new standard for consumer broadband services in America," said Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets group, in a statement. "Our customers will be amazed at the online world that Fios opens to them, as it can make applications like video chat and conferencing, digital movie downloads, and interactive multi-player games a part of their daily lives."

Verizon also said it plans a Fios video offering to give consumers an alternative to cable TV in 2005. Installation of the service will also include the suite of services currently available to Verizon Online DSL customers at no additional charge, including: MSN Premium content, Verizon's new Broadband Beat entertainment portal, up to nine e-mail accounts with 30 Mbytesof storage for the primary account and an additional 10 MB for each sub-account, address book and calendar; 10 MB of personal Web space and a Web site building tool, and access to newsgroups.

Fiber deployments will take place in Tampa, Flor., the Ft. Worth metroplex in Texas, and in Southern California. Verizon intends to pass 1 million homes and businesses in parts of nine states with fiber by the end of the year, the company said.

link to news

holy crap, if this is true. I thought I'd never see it in my days. Hopefully, the initial offerings go well. Wish they'd test it in my area first though...

SKluck

Banned
Shit, who even could take advantage of 15 down? That's almost 2 Megabytes per second.

It would be like having a ferrari during rush hour.

retardboy

Fiber deployments will take place in Tampa, Flor., the Ft. Worth metroplex in Texas, and in Southern California. Verizon intends to pass 1 million homes and businesses in parts of nine states with fiber by the end of the year, the company said.

w00t! So Cal! Better bring it to Orange County or I'll be pissed. Adelphia is freaken charging over $50 for the cable modem right now. I'd switch to this in a second!

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Ripclawe said:
TAMPA??? FUCK TAMPA!! Bring it to South Florida!!

Pfft! South Florida hasn't won the Super Bowl in like 32 years! Verizon wants to be where the current NFLA "hotness" is!

Pff I'll give them some love when it is here in Chicago. I have Verizon and their slow 768kbps DSL. To even get the 1.5mbps is 30 bucks a month more and they are saying that they will give me 10 times that for ~30 dollars less than they charge now? Sure...

Phoenix

Can't get verizon DSL here in Atlanta, but thankfully somebody figured out that a house with fiber to the curb should be able to achieve much faster speeds than 1.5MB/s. Wish I could get me some of that. These guys are going to put bandwidth providers out of business and seriously start making video rental/broadcast on demand viable.

golem

the first socal test market is suppose to be huntington beach... too bad im stuck in sbc land.. i need fiber!!

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
When does this start? I'm sick of adelphia charging 50 bucks for cable and i can't get dsl in my area becasue i live in the hills while my friend who lives 2 blocks away can. God damn fvck huntington beach. I want fios in Los Angeles bitch!

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA??!? WHERE?! I DON'T SEE IT!!

Seriously, I don't think they were installing fiber lines in my area recently. Those bastards. I hope it gets here soon.

ChrisReid

SKluck said:
Shit, who even could take advantage of 15 down? That's almost 2 Megabytes per second.

It would be like having a ferrari during rush hour.

That's just like the "Nobody will ever need more than 640 k of memory" thing. Once we have it, people will find plenty of ways to use it.

Boogie9IGN

Poody said:
When does this start? I'm sick of adelphia charging 50 bucks for cable and i can't get dsl in my area becasue i live in the hills while my friend who lives 2 blocks away can. God damn fvck huntington beach. I want fios in Los Angeles bitch!

I'll trade you my house in Bay Area with DSL for the house in Huntington Beach :D

Holy shit @ that speed, I'd run out of HDD space in 2 days

ChumsGum

Banned
I mentioned some of the upgrades that the telcos are doing in this thread-

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=3725

And went into detail about in a thread at alwaysgame.com-

July 3

"Before I start I wanna say that the info I share with you guys apply to the telcos and how they plan to upgrade; cablecos will upgrade in a similar way, just different.

OK, you have a CO (central office) aka wire center that services your area, it is tied to other COs in different areas via fiber optic wires. From the CO you have fiber going to surrounding RTs (remote terminals) aka mini-wire centers that feed the signal to your home via standard copper wires. Over the past couple of years, telcos have been slowly upgrading their networks by adding more RTs around the COs; these act like amplifiers to boost signal, hence providing more homes in the area with DSL.

Why has this upgrade been slow coming? Politics. Telephone service is federally regulated. Previous regulatory laws allowed "leach" companies like MCI and ATT to lease lines from the telcos at below wholesale cost and provide local phone service using the telcos networks. The telcos basically said, "Why the fck are we gonna spend our money to upgrade our networks if we are just gonna allow leach companies to use our networks at below cost?" Well, the telcos cried to the feds and the Bush administration listened. New regulatory laws have called for the lease rates to increase, giving profit to the telcos, and laws were passed so that any new "fiber" networks built by the telcos cannot be leased without the consent of the telco. What does this all mean Chums? The telcos now can freely invest in new fiber networks, and upgrade of existing networks without fear of federal interference. What they built is theirs. Billion dollar plans by multiple telcos have already been announced.

With the shackles off, expect more RTs, and the implementation of "nodes." As RTs cluster around the the COs, these nodes will cluster around the RTs connected by, you guessed it, fiber optic wires. {RTs and nodes are usually built into the sewer system btw} At existing neighborhoods, these nodes will be connected to your home via standard copper wire; FTTN- Fiber To The Neighborhood. At new communities, these nodes will be connected to your home via fiber optics; FTTP- Fiber To The Premise. Regardless of FTTN or FTTP, except initial speeds between 15-25 Mbps download and 1-3 Mbps upload. So yes, your existing jacks and wires in your home will not need expensive retrofitting. You will, of course, need to upgrade your broadband modem with a new Super Broadband modem.

What about beyond Super Broadband? Strip away the kevlar/silicone shielding of that wire and it will reveal a fiber line the size of a strand of hair with the capacity of up to 40Gps. Hard to believe, well believe it. It's here and it's coming fast. "

So basically, it is coming to everyone, just be patient.

ChumsGum

Banned
Error Macro said:
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA??!? WHERE?! I DON'T SEE IT!!

Seriously, I don't think they were installing fiber lines in my area recently. Those bastards. I hope it gets here soon.

Most of the wires now are run in the sewer systems.

ChumsGum

Banned
Poody said:

Chicago, LA; SBC announced some of their multi-billion fiber upgrade plans early July, you'll get it soon enough. Unfortunately, if you live in the hills, you may be still shit out of luck. There probably aren't any sewers up there and the copper telephone wires that run overhead would currently cost too much to upgrade. But I wouldn't worry, the cablecos are also upgrading their networks so expect their bandwidth increases to follow too.

SKluck

Banned
ChrisReid said:
That's just like the "Nobody will ever need more than 640 k of memory" thing. Once we have it, people will find plenty of ways to use it.

I'm talking about the here and now. Obviously technology advances, I'm mostly talking about the difference between the 5mbit service and the 15mbit. Why get the 15mbit? They have the same upload bandwidth. Most sites max out at 200kb, except for ones from cnet, microsoft, or huge sites like that. You'd have to be constantly downloading from 5 different websites to even notice. And no, it won't help with bit torrent because that shit never goes over 250kb/s even with 100 seeds and 5000 leeches.

Well verizon does have pretty good usenet servers. A lot of binary groups and I've never run into any kind of speed capping or download limit. I believe they recently upgraded them as well.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Where in SoCal? Los Angeles? When will be available to LA residents?

goodcow

dynamitejim said:
Well verizon does have pretty good usenet servers. A lot of binary groups and I've never run into any kind of speed capping or download limit. I believe they recently upgraded them as well.

They're not pretty good, they're damn good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It would have been nice for you to make a title that made it sound like it was for a tiny portion of the country like it is.

That said, I'm starting to not like Verizon a lot. My max down is still 100KB/sec, but most of the time it's like 85. I mean what the crap, you suck Verizon.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I think you should all read this before you get excited. This is not the first time, nor the last time that Verzion has screamed "FTTP! FTTP! COMING SOON...."

ChumsGum said:
Most of the wires now are run in the sewer systems.

Well, it looks like this whole fiber thing might turn out to be shitty after all!

*rimshot*

or

Wow, if the lines are run in the sewers, I suppose they can tell if people have been getting enough fiber in their diets!

*rimshot*

"That's it for me! I'm out! Good night everybody!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom