• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video comparisons of Tales of Symphonia GC/PS2

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cool comparison...

They look very similar visually, but the GC version obviously runs at a higher framerate (which I knew anyways, but can actually be seen in these videos) and loads quicker. The textures in both versions are kinda poor (especially in comparison to SO3), but the PS2 seems to have slightly lower resolution textures (though, in this case, they look about the same).

The only problem is that they did not show the same areas on both versions.

GC version is obviously better, though. Shame that neither sports 480p...

MoxManiac

Wow, hideous. The battles look like they are being played in slow motion on PS2. I'll stick to the GC version, I didn't know the frame rate difference was that big.

dark10x

MoxManiac said:
Wow, hideous. The battles look like they are being played in slow motion on PS2. I'll stick to the GC version, I didn't know the frame rate difference was that big.

Battle speed should not be different, though...

Don't judge speed of gameplay on these videos...

MoxManiac

Well, perhaps, slow motion wasn't the correct term - the frame rate was totally gutted though. It's kind of like how Capcom and SNK fighters were raped when ported to PSX, except frame rate was the victim, not animation frames.

maskrider

I would like to know the capture setup, the PS2 captures has patterns that look like a composite video feed, the GameCube one looks to be a S-Video feed. Not very sure about it until the author post the capture settings.

May be the PS2 version has flaws that creates those patterns but the screens looks a bit too soft to me.

I can't verify as I only have a Japanese GameCube TOS and haven't thought of getting the PS2 version.

EDIT: Some screens that I had just done, not the same location as I don't know where is that, heh ! I hadn't really played the game yet.

GameCube on S-Video -> DScaler
tos-1.jpg

tos-2.jpg

tos-3.jpg

tos-4.jpg

tos-5.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
dark10x said:
Battle speed should not be different, though...

Don't judge speed of gameplay on these videos...

Heh, if you read PP or that topic. Cless says the videos make the battles look better :p

dark10x

They should have asked TriAce for some help on the graphics engine...

Their teams are still somewhat related, right? :p

duckroll

dark10x said:
They should have asked TriAce for some help on the graphics engine...

Their teams are still somewhat related, right? :p

They did, then but then Tri-ace said "Shit what's with these interesting characters?! You MUST make them all bland, boring and almost realistic in proportions!"

After leaving their offices disgusted, the Namco team then considered how every Tales game NOT on the GC sells twice that of any SO game and laughed.

dark10x

duckroll said:
They did, then but then Tri-ace said "Shit what's with these interesting characters?! You MUST make them all bland, boring and almost realistic in proportions!"

After leaving their offices disgusted, the Namco team then considered how every Tales game NOT on the GC sells twice that of any SO game and laughed.

Ha ha, you're just pissed 'cuz lots of people actually love Star Ocean 3 despite your admittedly noble attempts at preventing that from becoming so. :D

Don't worry though, those Tales guys are already certified experts when it comes to making bland ass games...they just need help with the technical side of things now (Another ultra blurry texture?! What is this, October 26th of the year 2000?). ;)

*WARNING: possibly exagerated and also possibly lacking anything known as reason*

[Tales employee with oversized クレス hat] "Hey guys, wanna make a new game?"

[Tales employee wearing an FFX-2 tee] "Nah, let's just make the same game that we alreadymade last year!"

[Tales employee now wearing Xenosaga floaty devices]"Yeah, good idea! Isn't it awesome how we can make the same bullshit over and over again while good Namco games like Klonoa sell like shit and die off?"

:)

*puts on "60 fps 4 life" hat*

What the f*ck did I just post?! Damn, I really need some breakfast!

:footsteps:

Yeah, of all the accusations to level in a SO3 versus ToS thread, claiming Symphonia has more interesting characters is NOT the right one to pick.

DFS' description of ToS as "a boiler explosion at the anime cliche factory" is about as apt as you can get.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, Cless and I were discussing this yesterday, he says the framerate was made 30FPS, but it drops quite frequently, graphics are much blurrier (the ground details look N64 quality), though the sound is a bit better. He says overall, it's a horrible port and people should definitely stick to the GC version.

Top Bottom