• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame Culture |OT| Something To Be Proud About

Over the last 18 months, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the industry, and the culture that is has produced over the last 30 years. I'm on the verge of becoming 30 myself, and had the obvious realization that videogames have been a part of my life as far back as I can remember. Older brother came home one night with a NES Deluxe Set. The rest is history.

The recent death of Mr. Yamauchi got me thinking more about our culture, and the lack of any real centralized foundation that's archiving all the amazing things that our industry has accomplished over the last 30 years.

It's very much needed and I think it's a damn shame that the biggest publishers out there, won't take the initiative, and pony up the capital required to get something like this going. Shame on you guys.

So where does that leave us? Well, there's nothing like the premier community for our culture, NeoGAF. So here we are…

I would love to have this thread became an archive of all things that make us so proud of our beloved culture. So here's what I'm thinking. Post anything about our culture that makes you proud, brings you joy, annoys the shit out of you, or has simply made an impact on you.

It can be a piece of art, a memory of yours, music, a meme, pictures of an arcade, food, that ultimate Third Strike perry comeback Evo clip, the Twilight Princess unveil, Kaz saying Ridge Racer, an old GameFan cover, Mikami saying Don't Pee Your Pants, a link to the 8-4 podcast, anything relating to the culture.

Let's make a thread together that just oozes culture. Something that we can skim through at any given time, and just makes us feel great about the industry that we love so much. If you really love the culture, subscribe to this thread, and like makes this the most ultimate archive ever.

Nintendo Cereal System

QoerRE5.jpg

I mean, it was two flavors of cereal in one box ... fruity and berry.

mclem

Nintendo Cereal System

QoerRE5.jpg

I mean, it was two flavors of cereal in one box ... fruity and berry.

First thought: That bush looks nothing like that cloud.

Second thought: A poster detailing everything in D&D that's a Free Action?

Third thought: Those 'screenshots' are weird. They look drawn, but then there's some tiled things (the cliffs in the Zelda one, the floor in the Mario one) which actually looks like they've taken the pixel art directly from the game. Why not have pixel art for everything or hand-drawn for everything?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm on mobile, so finding a link is difficult, but the moment Jack Tretton dropped the PS4 DRM bomb, followed by Robert House dropping the $399 price tag...one of my favorite moments. I still can't believe that Famousmortimer made such an impact. Incredible. Basically shaped a console generation.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yesterday I was pointed to this video of one of my favorite places growing up... an arcade right down the road from my house, Spaceplex in St. James, NY. Lots of fantastic memories of this place, and for a long while, there was hardly any pictures/videos online about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qYz5lwi77g

Tesseract

Banned
im euphonious in my gamely feelers for my fingers is my sword, their hilt it's hand. please understand my feels, their everything i am inside my gamers' body.
'
thanking you.

Andrax

Banned
I guess Pokémon you could argue is a massive part of this culture that spawned a global merchandise. Although you can also argue it's spawned it's own culture now but I think it's roots are firmly wedged in gaming.

For me it began with:
Pokémon_box_art_-_Red_Version.jpg

Pokémon red intro:
http://youtu.be/C19O5xm51dk

Edit: In many ways this represents the Gameboy 'culture' to me. The many hours of tilting my gameboy towards a light trying to watch pixels move around a screen.

Storm360

Sony's E3 this year, was watching it with friends, and sharing the entire experience of hype when it started, disappointment after not mentioning it and thinking it was approaching the end of the conference, then Sony dropped the bomb and, well let's just say the reaction caused my neighbours to complain about the noise

Top Bottom