• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viewing distance and eyes

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
3zs6n0mxb4371.jpg

With electronics constantly in peoples eyes now (phones, tablets in cars, screens on fridges, TVs, monitors) how do you think people’s eyes will hold up over time?

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Viewing distance should be no more than 1:1 distance the WIDTH of screen. If your screen is 55" diagonal, the width is 48". If you're sitting further away than 48" you goofed up.

I used to sit 10ft away from a 65" OLED and found myself squinting far too often especially with 4k letterbox content but now I'm 9 1/2 ft from a 77" OLED and it's perfect I can't believe I've never looked at a TV bigger than 65" all these years

R6Rider

Gold Member
For gaming especially I see WAY too many people sitting too far from their TVs.

That chart is terrible in the OP too. 7' away for a 48"?

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Ehh, the size and positioning of your TV has more to do with the layout of your living room than anything, and you have to consider how it works for everyone in that space, not just your casual gaming habit.

If you're actually seriously gaming, play on a monitor (console players included), and chances are with a smaller screen or a bit farther away from the screen than you think. But there's still a range depending on genre. But remember your field of view for detail and clarity is actually quite small compared to your overall field of view.

But, if you're trying to fill up your entire field of view with the screen in a standard game for 'muh immersion' you're just not a serious person. Especially if it's for the average console game with a rather low and locked field of view setting to begin with.

As for how screens affect your eyes? Can't be good. I'd give the standard advice of "take frequent breaks and focus on something in the distance" but who are we kidding there's no such thing as "frequent breaks" when you're into a game.

Last edited:
Viewing distance should be no more than 1:1 distance the WIDTH of screen. If your screen is 55" diagonal, the width is 48". If you're sitting further away than 48" you goofed up.
This. For me, it isn't just to better experience the details in visual fidelity/having the width perfectly fit my entire field of view.

With higher resolutions like 1440p and 4k, modern HUDs and subs are often smaller and games don't always offer scaling options. Also, competitive FPS games require me to sit closer or I'm being fragged faster than I can ask "Where's Waldo?"

TheStam

Ehh, the size and positioning of your TV has more to do with the layout of your living room than anything, and you have to consider how it works for everyone in that space, not just your casual gaming habit.

If you're actually seriously gaming, play on a monitor (console players included), and chances are with a smaller screen or a bit farther away from the screen than you think. But there's still a range depending on genre. But remember your field of view for detail and clarity is actually quite small compared to your overall field of view.

But, if you're trying to fill up your entire field of view with the screen in a standard game for 'muh immersion' you're just not a serious person. Especially if it's for the average console game with a rather low and locked field of view setting to begin with.

As for how screens affect your eyes? Can't be good. I'd give the standard advice of "take frequent breaks and focus on something in the distance" but who are we kidding there's no such thing as "frequent breaks" when you're into a game.

I feel personally attacked! My eyes are fucked, but muh immersion is stunning.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
That suggested distance for a 65” is ridiculous

I prefer THX’s viewing angle at ~36 degrees, which would remove 2 feet from that chart.

nikos

I think people have been looking at displays long enough to know what long term effects it may have on our vision.

Parents used to say "don't sit too close to the TV!" Now they shove phones in their baby's face as soon as it starts crying.

Regarding that image, 50" and 58" seem like weird sizes to use. Distances also seems too far for each size. I'll always prefer PC gaming at my desk.

Last edited:

Rockman33

My personal preference is.

Large screens for single player games seated further away, 65”+

Smaller screen for multiplayer games seated closer, 42”-

kingwingin

More of a detriment to kids. They say by 2050, 50% of all people born will become nearsighted. If you have a kid make them play outside in the sun so their eyes have a chance to develop properly.

ITT: people attempt to compensate for 3rd world TV options and playing PS5 on a monitor.

Next up: Surround sound is useless if your ears are shaped like thiiiiiis

I'll take my giant sont screen and sit wherever I damn well please. Oooh but I have to move my head sometimes. Get bent, my set up rocks.

Last edited:
More of a detriment to kids. They say by 2050, 50% of all people born will become nearsighted. If you have a kid make them play outside in the sun so their eyes have a chance to develop properly.
Some people get a bad eyesight no matter what. Back in 90's I didn't have a PC or a gaming console, and my perfect eyesight turned to shit when I went to school. I knew it was due to the stress and worrying too much about everything. I remember sitting there in the classroom, panicking that I can't read the blackboard very well - at that point I was already wearing glassed but they didn't help a lot, my eyesight was getting progressively worse.

saintjules

Gold Member
I used to sit 10ft away from a 65" OLED and found myself squinting far too often especially with 4k letterbox content but now I'm 9 1/2 ft from a 77" OLED and it's perfect I can't believe I've never looked at a TV bigger than 65" all these years

77" is great. I am on the LGB3. I don't think I can go up any higher than that.

Famipan

I got problems with double vision last year and gaming has started to suck because I get tired faster.

I blame mobile gaming as the culprit.
And maybe my C1 OLED 48” which I was sitting less than 2 meters from. Now I try sitting a bit further away.

Also, I wasn’t used to HDR and am thinking the high brightness spots could have triggered it..

…but probably the real reason is age and already underlying problems with double vision since birth which I wasn’t aware of was unnatural.

cireza

how do you think people’s eyes will hold up over time?
Based on mine, I can tell you : not great.

Do not neglect your eyesight and your setup. Everything is tied, and bad eyesight can lead to bad posture, which can lead to back/neck pain etc... Be extra careful of brightness (dimmer can help on screens that won't go low enough in the brightness setting) and use tools like f.lux or whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom