• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia GOP: Tax hybrids and electric cars to subsidize gas for gas guzzlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

Read the article. Not just the OP's ridiculously inflammatory headline and post. Nobody is being subsidized - all vehicles that use the roadways are having their fees increased in some capacity.
Only if you ignore the increase in sales tax. Why the doubling of licence fees for ev and hybrids and not gas engine inly vehicles?

Booo this state!

Personal property tax in this state is already a bitch for cars. That said, I guess the state income tax is a bit less than it was back in California.

I was flabbergasted when I saw my PPT in Virginia for a VW Golf that was several hundred dollars higher than my registration fees for an M3 in California.

The Republican continues to be the most dangerous animal in North America.

I used to say mammal but they appear to have cold reptilian blood in their veins.

Enron

Banned
So you agree that there will be people who don't own a vehicle who will be subsidizing this.

It's hard to argue that it's a subsidy when registration fees are going up across the board. That sort of language implies someone's getting a pass at the expense of others - not sure you can say that here. Everyone benefits from improved infrastructure. Kind of like paying higher local sales tax to fund education, when you don't have any kids.

What it definitely isn't, though, is the OP's assertion that it was a subsidy for "gas guzzlers" only at the expense of EVs/hybrids and it's not your implied assertion that it was a subsidy for gasoline vehicles in general.

LOL, that's the definition of subsidizing.

except that EVs don't pay the gasoline taxes that the state and federal government collects to maintain our roadways in the first place. That would now be ending.

Anyways, I suggest you actually read the legislation summary that the OP linked in his post, and read it carefully. There's nothing there to get up in arms about re: hybrids and EVs - they aren't being targeted unfairly. It's more accurate to say that now they'll be paying the share to use the roadways that they previously did not.

Nert

Because it would probably be somewhat better than the current gas tax-reliant system at estimating and taxing for the use of roads, assuming we continue to rely less on gasoline to power our vehicles in the future.

The current gas tax system is clearly not sustainable in the long-term, even if gasoline-powered vehicles are here for the long haul. Vehicles will continue to become more fuel efficient, and tax revenues from gas sales will continue to fall. A new solution needs to be found.

New solution: it's silly to tie specific programs to specific revenue sources. All tax revenue should go into one general "pot" and every program that people decide is worth funding should receive its revenue from that single pot. What do we gain from tying infrastructure spending to gas tax revenue? (And, for that matter, why tie school funding to property taxes, or health care funding to cigarette taxes, or...)

Enron

Banned
New solution: it's silly to tie specific programs to specific revenue sources. All tax revenue should go into one general "pot" and every program that people decide is worth funding should receive its revenue from that single pot. What do we gain from tying infrastructure spending to gas tax revenue? (And, for that matter, why tie school funding to property taxes, or health care funding to cigarette taxes, or...)

One reason they do it is to define limits - helps lessen the chance of overspending in one area to the point of threatening everything else. Can you imagine the budget fights in statehouses if they didn't tie taxation for certain things to certain behaviors/consumption/sales/etc?

Magni

except that EVs don't pay the gasoline taxes that the state and federal government collects to maintain our roadways in the first place. That would now be ending.

Anyways, I suggest you actually read the legislation summary that the OP linked in his post, and read it carefully. There's nothing there to get up in arms about re: hybrids and EVs - they aren't being targeted unfairly. It's more accurate to say that now they'll be paying the share to use the roadways that they previously did not.

I can understand increasing fees on hybrids EVs, that's something that states like WA and OR have done or are planning to do unless I'm mistaken, but to do that while eliminating the state gas tax is flabbergasting.

Nert

One reason they do it is to define limits - helps lessen the chance of overspending in one area to the point of threatening everything else. Can you imagine the budget fights in statehouses if they didn't tie taxation for certain things to certain behaviors/consumption/sales/etc?

If that were the case, the level of spending that's considered to be "overspending" could be determined in much more logical ways. The level of spending that goes into a local school system, for example, should be tied to a cost-benefit analysis, not the performance of the housing market.

Enron

Banned
I can understand increasing fees on hybrids EVs, that's something that states like WA and OR have done or are planning to do unless I'm mistaken, but to do that while eliminating the state gas tax is flabbergasting.

It's just political. "Look, we eliminated the gas tax! Your price at the pump is lower now thanks to us!" All the while, hoping they don't notice that their sales tax has slightly increased. I can't imagine the public is going to be as happy about it as the governor thinks. Its just pushing taxes around. Eliminate a big one, push it over into 6 others.

miked808

Virginia will remain one of the cheapest places to buy gas in the country and my sales tax goes up less than a % point. Sign me up.

Zhengi

What's wrong with this? I thought all liberals love taxes. The GOP just giving you guys what you want.

/tongue-in-cheek

VA Resident here...when did we actually get public transportation that wasn't city bus lines? I'm from Virginia Beach and I know we were trying to pass legislation on a rail line extension from Norfolk to the oceanfront but I never heard about how that went

North Carolina also....

Originally Posted by Charlatan:

This is the real issue, revenue. They tax gas, get used to the revenue, and when the average car starts getting higher MPG, they have a "problem that needs to be fixed", i.e. they need to raise taxes. Same with taxes on cigarettes, states get used to the revenue from high cigarette taxes, people start to smoke less due to health reasons or the high taxes, and all of the sudden there is a revenue shortfall.... But wasn't part of the argument for better mileage cars and lowering smoking that by doing so, our overall costs to society/the state will go down??? Where are all the savings????

In the specific instance of a gas tax, though, usage of the roads does not go down, right? Yeah less gas is used because of efficiency but the roads are seeing the same level of decay and need for repairs. Maybe even more since people can go longer distances on a single tank without thinking about needing to stop for gas as often.

In some ways I can see this. But at the same time they are looking to get rid of the general gas tax altogether, this seems pretty dumb.

Virginia GOP: Tax hybrids and electric cars to subsidize gas for gas guzzlers.

But it gets worse. It raises the general sales. So the single mom who rides the subway and buys some diapers has to pay higher sales taxes to pay for the roads because the cars no longer pay gas tax that goes for the roads.

What the fuck?

Shouldn't the people that use something pay for it? Shouldn't the cars that drive on the roads pay for the roads? That would be sound economics. That would be conservative. These people are just fucking crazy.

The bill raises the registration fees for vehicles and trailers and designates these increased revenues for the Commonwealth Mass Transit Fund and the Intercity Passenger Rail Operating and Capital Fund.

The bill raises the state sales and use tax from 4% to 4.8% and designates the increased revenues for the Commonwealth Transportation Fund.

The bill establishes procedures for the collection of the state sales and use tax from remote sellers for sales made in the Commonwealth, contingent upon the federal government passing legislation authorizing such collection. In the event that such revenues are collected, a portion of the revenues will be allocated to the localities with a stipulation that some of the funds be used by the locality for transportation needs and a portion of the revenues will be deposited in the Transportation Trust Fund.

The bill eliminates the statewide taxation of gasoline and blended fuel containing gasoline under the Virginia Fuels Act but leaves the current tax in place for other types of motor fuels.

The bill raises the annual license fee for electric vehicles from $50 to $100 and imposes the fee on hybrid electric vehicles and alternative fuel vehicles.

The bill repeals the application of the local sales and use tax to the sale of certain fuels used for domestic consumption, and replaces the revenue for the localities that imposed the sales and use tax with a portion of the new revenues generated by the bill.

http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2013/hb2313
I'm a little confused, from the full text of the enacted bill, it appears to:

• raise the sales tax from 4.0% to 4.3%, not 4.8%
  • replace a flat $0.175/gal gas tax with a 3.5% sales tax on gas (6% on diesel, except for vehicles under 10,000 lbs GVW,) not eliminate the gas tax (gas tax goes to 5.1% if Congress doesn't let VA tax "remote sellers," Amazon, et. al I assume)
  • raise the electric/hybrid fee from $50 to $63, not $100

Is it possible the issues you're complaining about were in an earlier version of the bill and were modified before it was passed into law?

teiresias

This old news in Virginia - this was the bill that was part of the Transportation "reforms" months ago. The final bill is different from the text here.

The raise on EV and Hybrids was lowered from the initial number and the gas tax remained (I think). However, the sales tax raises for everyone, but raises more for the NOVA and Hampton Roads localities (the worse traffic areas, but also - conveniently - some of the more democratic areas aside from Richmond City proper).

CrankyJay

Banned
i can't believe there's even an annual fee for electric vehicles...wtf?

edit: nvm, forgot that gas tax helps pay for road maint...seems fair, but without context it does look shady

Think about it . . . if you buy a gas car then you pay no gas tax. If you buy hybrid to be more fuel efficient then you have to pay an extra tax. THEY ARE PUNISHING YOU FOR BEING EFFICIENT, SAVING GASOLINE, AND POLLUTING LESS.

What is next? Will they make you pay an extra tax if you don't smoke?

Gas Tax pays for road maintenance in Virginia. You aren't paying as much tax for using the roads just as much. Its only fair.

You guys should watch Who Killed the Electric Car. The oil companies and car companies pulled of a lot of the same shit we're seeing now back in the 1990s. History is just repeating itself again.

That is a great movie and makes some excellent points (the tax-credit for heavy vehicles, the stupidity of destroying functional vehicles, the general good aspects of EVs). But I think it does go a bit over-board. The late 1990s was just not a good time for EVs to launch. It was at a historic nadir of gasoline prices and the batteries were not quite ready. But that said, GM should have continued quietly working on EVs in the background and they would have had something great today.

It is also unfortunate that one of the EVs fans in that movie is Mel Gibson considering he's discredited himself as a rational person.

Gas Tax pays for road maintenance in Virginia. You aren't paying as much tax for using the roads just as much. Its only fair.

Did you bother to read the article? They are cutting the gas tax to ZERO so how is it 'fair' to make hybrids and electric cars pay?!?!? Duh.

But you should pay less with a hybrid because you are polluting less. Everyone can also get a hybrid if they think it is 'unfair'. I think it is quite unfair how much pollution I am forced to breathe in.

To offset the federal gas tax that hybrids pay less of, and that EVs don't pay at all (this according to the Governor of Va, says the googles)

Federal tax is federal tax, that is not the state's business to address. If they don't like the Federal law then they should talk to their Congressperson and Senator.

If they don't like that hybrids pay less tax then they can buy a hybrid!

Why do you think it is a good idea to reward people to pollute more? Do you not breathe?

I hate sales tax but it is true that due to decrease in gas usage, (flat) gas taxes are not going to pay for roads. Roads/infrastructure improve the economy so of course you have to pay for them one way or another.

Think about it . . . if you buy a gas car then you pay no gas tax. If you buy hybrid to be more fuel efficient then you have to pay an extra tax. THEY ARE PUNISHING YOU FOR BEING EFFICIENT, SAVING GASOLINE, AND POLLUTING LESS.

What is next? Will they make you pay an extra tax if you don't smoke?

This isn't even entirely accurate. Some hybrids don't get great mileage and some gas cars do. They're taxing hybrids just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom