• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtual Boy CPU vs. GBA CPU: which is better?

snapty00

Banned
Virtual Boy: NEC V810 20 MHz
GBA: ARM7 16.7 MHz

Which is better? I never knew about the Virtual Boy CPU until...minutes ago, actually.

Obviously, the Virtual Boy CPU is clocked higher, but is it better than the ARM7?

xexex

Banned
I don't know how the Virtual Boy's 20 MHz NEC V810 CPU compares to GBA's 16.7 MHz ARM7 CPU. obviously they must be different architectures and cannot be compared on MHz alone.

the DS has something like a 67 MHz ARM9 CPU plus the GBA CPU.

I can tell you one thing though, the Virtual Boy, GBA and DS CPUs most likely all pale in comparison to the CPU that was supposed to be going into Nintendo's Project Atlantis color handheld. Atlantis was to have a StrongARM CPU running at 160 MHz. go through your Next Generation magazines from 1996-1997. or search Google Groups for 'Nintendo Atlantis 160 Mhz' and 'Nintendo Atlantis 160Mhz'.

I speculate that Atlantis was wittled down into the GBA.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Arm9 is 67Mhz? The DS Arm7 is an OVERCLOCKED version of the GBA Arm7 however, no?

snapty00

Banned
Well, not overclocked. Just clocked higher. :p

I remember the stuff about Project Atlantis, but I'm not convinced the original was going to be a lot more powerful than GBA. I think some of that was sensationalist reporting.

xexex

Banned
I remember the stuff about Project Atlantis, but I'm not convinced the original was going to be a lot more powerful than GBA. I think some of that was sensationalist reporting.

ok, perhaps that is true. but still, Atlantis was probably going to be at least faster CPU-wise than GBA. it's entirely plausible based on Nintendo's history. i.e. Super Famicom was going to have a 10 MHz 68000.

olimario

Banned
virualboy.jpg

ourumov

Apparently, after a bit of research, it seems like NEC's CPU was rated @ 18-20 MIPS which is about the same value than the ARM7 in the GBA.

Edit: I never played VB, NEVER...I wonder how the experience was.

snapty00

Banned
ourumov said:
Apparently, after a bit of research, it seems like NEC's CPU was rated @ 18-20 MIPS which is about the same value than the ARM7 in the GBA.

Neat for all of five minutes, when you realize that everything done with Virtual Boy could've been done on any system and without migraines.

That's interesting that they were about the same as far as the MIPS rating was concerned.

From what I can gather, the Virtual Boy could do four shades of red (similar to how the original Game Boy could do four three shades of black and the background green/yellow color), but I swear that emulating these games, there look like there are more colors than that.

xexex

Banned

interesting. thanks for doing the little bit of research.

I've played VB a couple times at Blockbuster. it was pretty 'meh'. I see some of the reasons it tanked.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the GBA's ARM7 packs in the 2D Hardware accellerating unit (tiled backgrounds and sprites) but for non graphical performance those CPUs are prtty much equal.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
snapty00 said:
Well, not overclocked. Just clocked higher. :p

I don't know...didn't Yamauchi once claim that the GBA would be as powerful as a Dreamcast? Perhaps at the time he said that, it really was true.

Top Bottom