• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Virtual Gamers Reval Themselves"

Sorry if old...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3683260.stm

_40102958_alterego_chalmane203b.jpg

Chalmaine is a full-time mum but online she is a minx

Zaptruder

Banned
3.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

People, playing as virtual people.

There's little doubt, if we could we'd make ourselves more attractive... present ourselves as more attractive people. We're all cognizantly aware of how good an impression it makes on other people, to simply be attractive. And there's alot of empirical evidence to back that up.

This sorta reminds me of this one film I saw a bit of at the last Machinima event. It was called "Avatars" I think and it interviewed people about their gaming and online habits and identities, while as their online persona. Sorta amusing for the obvious reasons.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Avatars was actually kind of a scary movie, simply because the focus was on EverQuest...which, as we all know, is a refuge for social dysfunction. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Zaptruder said:
There's little doubt, if we could we'd make ourselves more attractive... present ourselves as more attractive people. We're all cognizantly aware of how good an impression it makes on other people, to simply be attractive. And there's alot of empirical evidence to back that up.

What seems sad in a way, is that someone presenting an "avatar" or representation of themselves, is so often sneered at by Generation I (Irony) when it's something that is pretty as opposed to say, a forum picture of a bloody Mona-Lisa getting gang-raped by Smurfs. It's funny too, because Gen I'ers are often college students and such that present themselves as intelligent and educated (perhaps more categories of presentation we are aware makes us more attractive in our current culture...). You'd think they would be aware of some basic psychological and social forces. However, I'm reminded of this:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/bradhicks/97548.html

Top Bottom