• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana Releases August 29 | Launch Date Trailer Released

GymWolf

Gold Member
His default look is pretty bad, can't argue that. Some of his alt costumes aren't quite so bad. But the other male character is a furry, so...
No it was more a matter of seeing a male name with abs but with very feminine, delicate face.

If you only judge from the face\haircut dude look like an anime girl 100%.

Last edited:

Pejo

No it was more a matter of seeing a male name with abs but with very feminine, delicate face.

If you only judge from the face\haircut dude look like an anime girl 100%.
Yep very effeminate. These don't look AS bad but it's essentially still the same head:
Val_Undine_Flask_2D_art.png
Val_Dryad_Sprig_2D_art.png

Val_Salamando_Candle_2D_art.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The Trials of Mana remake really surprised me. It's one of the very few instances where it clearly tried to punch way above its weight and mostly succeeded. At least for me. Great fun.
I really enjoyed it as well. It was very faithful to the original while improving on it in many ways. Battle system reminded me of Ys which is a great thing. Agreed about punching above its weight… it felt like they managed to do a lot with a small budget.

Only big downside for me is that Charlotte’s English VA is a crime against humanity. I refused to use her in my party.

I really enjoyed it as well. It was very faithful to the original while improving on it in many ways. Battle system reminded me of Ys which is a great thing. Agreed about punching above its weight… it felt like they managed to do a lot with a small budget.

Only big downside for me is that Charlotte’s English VA is a crime against humanity. I refused to use her in my party.
Chawlotte is pawt of the weason I used the Japanese voices and the Restoration of Mana mod.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm jealous that you have so much free time and zero backlog to be asking for a demo of a game you will undoubtedly purchase day one. :messenger_halo:
Who says I have zero backlog? I’m just really excited for this game and want to try it out. Plus S-E often does demos that transfer to the full game. They did that with Trials of Mana remake.

Stafford

It's a crime in itself to play JRPG in English. Or well, that's my opinion on it of course. It's more often than not atrocious. Japanese voices all the way.

Thankfully she’s the worst party member anyway, considering you can easily handle your healing needs with items instead of spells.
Oh, she brings a lot more to the party than healing. I bring her in almost every game.

In my Ninja Master/Starlancer party? Sage for the elemental sabers (with Attack Saber) and the passive stat-up auras.
In my Archmage/Lord party? Evil Shaman for Demon Breath (magic down on the enemy), passive stat-down auras, and increased elemental damage for the party. Haha Angela goes brrr!
In my Deathhand/Fenrir Knight party? Bishop for a little bit less support than Sage but light saber and turn undead, in a scenario shock-full of high level undeads toward the end.
In my Swordmaster/Nomad party? Necromancer for a full stat-down on bosses (improved with Riesz's super stat down abilities from the previous game, for the lulz) while Hawk buffs the team. That's the party I used to one-shot the Black Rabite by the way.

There is no party she can't improve, without even bringing her healing to the table.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh, she brings a lot more to the party than healing. I bring her in almost every game.

In my Ninja Master/Starlancer party? Sage for the elemental sabers (with Attack Saber) and the passive stat-up auras.
In my Archmage/Lord party? Evil Shaman for Demon Breath (magic down on the enemy), passive stat-down auras, and increased elemental damage for the party. Haha Angela goes brrr!
In my Deathhand/Fenrir Knight party? Bishop for a little bit less support than Sage but light saber and turn undead, in a scenario shock-full of high level undeads toward the end.
In my Swordmaster/Nomad party? Necromancer for a full stat-down on bosses (improved with Riesz's super stat down abilities from the previous game, for the lulz) while Hawk buffs the team. That's the party I used to one-shot the Black Rabite by the way.

There is no party she can't improve, without even bringing her healing to the table.
Fair enough she’s got her uses. Lots of her abilities can be covered by items though. And one thing that kinda sucks about buffs is they wear off at the end of battle so they’re kinda pointless for all the trash mobs.

Might give her another shot with JP audio and Restoration of Mana mod, which I just learned de-retardifies her uwu dialog.

It's a crime in itself to play JRPG in English. Or well, that's my opinion on it of course. It's more often than not atrocious. Japanese voices all the way.
I can understand about half of what is said in spoken Japanese, mainly due to the speed of the speech. It just isn't fun to stare at subtitles through an entire JRPG. It's useless for learning (you would use Japanese voice and text for that) and distracting if you just want to play the game.

Hudo

I dunno, I found the English dub of DQ8 and DQ11 pretty good. Or the English dubs of recent Atlus games. And the English dub of FF12 is superior to the Japanese one, imho.

Stafford

I dunno, I found the English dub of DQ8 and DQ11 pretty good. Or the English dubs of recent Atlus games. And the English dub of FF12 is superior to the Japanese one, imho.

These are all games I haven't really played. It sounds like there are some actually decent ones then.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sometimes but not always. Japanese VA can be REALLY melodramatic and sometimes very irritating with shrieking high-pitched girl voices and wacky comic relief characters. Usually picking English vs JP is like trying to pick the lesser of two evils.

Also have to agree with the the other suggestion for Final Fantasy XII. The writing and English VA are excellent. Almost feels like they wrote it in English first.

Crayon

Only question is digital or physical?

Should I complete the collection?
CLL3ASd.jpeg

I was looking at their steam page for the sale last night and this game really caught my eye. Only now did I realize a: these make a pretty cohesive set, b: all in physical.

It's always a struggle not to play games until I want to play them though.

Variahunter

Final fantasy starting with X has always had good English voices, barren some characters here and there. FFXII is top notch for instance. FFXVI was good too.

« Tidus laugh »

Last edited:

Variahunter

Another promo key art from Square, this time with Palamena, the young Queen of Illystana.

GRDuqbDaQAEa7Nw
Really not a fan of Haccan’s work. It feels a bit sterile to me.

But already preordered the game, Mana is my favorite series of all time. Oyamada seems to be a fan too and we owe him the resurrection of the licence.
Ryosuke Yoshida is one of the director on this game, he worked as battle planner on MH, DMC at Capcom. So I hope the battle system is much better than Trials, because that one was dull and repetitive.

Fabieter

There are a few instances where other options are better than japanese but it's pretty rare tho. Most people prefering english just want to have their native language.

Hudo

They are all turn-based aren't they? A real small chance I'll play them anytime soon then. I just can't truly enjoy TB.
Yeah, the mainline Dragon Quest games as well as most Atlus games are turn-based. Although Atlus' games have their own style of turn-based where you can have multiple actions per turn if you exploit weaknesses of enemies in a clever way. Almost feels like Tetris if you are in the flow, imho.

FF12 is actually real-time with pause, imho. But the cool thing about FF12 is the Gambit system, which is a system where you can program actions of your party. It's divisive but I like it quite a lot.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah, the mainline Dragon Quest games as well as most Atlus games are turn-based. Although Atlus' games have their own style of turn-based where you can have multiple actions per turn if you exploit weaknesses of enemies in a clever way. Almost feels like Tetris if you are in the flow, imho.

FF12 is actually real-time with pause, imho. But the cool thing about FF12 is the Gambit system, which is a system where you can program actions of your party. It's divisive but I like it quite a lot.
Yeah as someone who can’t stand the tedium of traditional turn based JRPG battles anymore, I love Final Fantasy XII.

Under the hood the mechanics work similarly to other ATB FF games, but it lets you automate everything to your exact specifications. So all those braindead simple repetitive decisions like “attack the enemy with the lowest HP”, “use fire on the guy who’s weak against fire”, “use Curaga if HP is low” (aka like 95% of what you do in JRPGs) all happens automatically, FAST (thanks to fast forward), and no battle transitions.

And TBH I found that setting up my gambits just right to be more engaging and strategic than the actual battles in most turn based JRPGs.

Wish we’d get more games with systems like this. It feels like the final evolution of the old ATB system.

Variahunter

So our choices are:
- dragon girl
- sexy princess with a whip
- samurai cat dude
- ….8 year old androgynous boy in underpants

Please Square… don’t make this kid OP and make me feel obligated to use him…
It's not like Mana games were hard to begin with... just play the char you like.

My team won't use Julei. I don't think anyone ever wanted a sproutling to be an actual playable character.

Otherwise, the cast is great :
- Val is an obvious throwback to Randi from SoM (with a nostalgic armor from Seiken 1 as part of a Deluxe edition). His hairstyle could have been closer to Randi though.
- Careena seems cool, being a Dragon girl, which is also a throwback to Legend of Mana
- Morley is both a throwback to SoM/ToM/Legend with the Cat people and an obvious hommage to Hawkeye as a DEX character. They gave him both a Katana and Daggers, and I'm wondering what is the third weapon for him ! Would love a Fuma Shuriken or Claws.
- Paramena fit the princess role from all Seiken since 1. She's given the Whip and a Scythe which is a new weapons for the series.
- Julei fits the Sprite/Dwarf spot, as a callback to Popoi from SoM and Charlotte from ToM. And obviously comes from Legend for the Sproutling race. Can't say I'm a fan though. Kinda sad we don't have another Lycan like in Trials, or a Malevole Vampire which could have been so cool...

Maybe there's a secret character, we never know ! After all, ToM gave us 6 characters so it's not impossible.

Top Bottom