• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait a minute? How does Portal connect to my PS5 at home?

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Long Story short, been playing Astrobot on Portal (my PS5 is connected through Wifi ) connection is good with minimal lag, I decided to download Mr.Mosquito, game downloaded a little bit then I got an error!!
Checked my phone, my internet has stopped working!!

Still playing my portal, went to PSN store, didn't download!

Wait a minute? How the eff is my Portal connected to my PS5? Isn't it through the internet? I kept playing Astrobot with no lag and completed multiple levels!!

How the fu*k was my Portal connected to my PS5 with no internet?

iHaunter

Long Story short, been playing Astrobot on Portal (my PS5 is connected through Wifi ) connection is good with minimal lag, I decided to download Mr.Mosquito, game downloaded a little bit then I got an error!!

Wait a minute? How the eff is my Portal connected to my PS5? Isn't it through the internet? I kept playing Astrobot with no lag and completed multiple levels!!

WiFi isn't needed for internet. It doesn't use internet to connect to your WiFi but the data from your physical router. Those are technically two different.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
WiFi isn't needed for internet. It doesn't use internet to connect to your WiFi but the data from your physical router. Those are technically two different.
The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Skifi28

If it's connected within your internal network, then a connection to the outside world isn't technically required. The portal connects to the modem and the modem to the ps5. Some apps with similar functionality still require an internet connection to work for whatever reason, but it seems the portal isn't one of them. I haven't tried it myself.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
If it's connected within your internal network, then a connection to the outside world isn't technically required. The portal connects to the modem and the modem to the ps5. Some apps with similar functionality still require an internet connection to work for whatever reason, but it seems the portal isn't one of them. I haven't tried it myself.

I think I get it somehow 😅

Pedro Motta

onQ123

Google can summarize it better than I can.

To make a complicated concept simple, WiFi refers to a type of wireless connection, while the Internet is what WiFi connects to. You can't have WiFi without Internet, but you can access the Internet without WiFi—most commonly via a wired connection or by using cellular data.
You're also wrong lol

You can use Wifi without the Internet to stream stuff locally.

For example I use Wifi to transfer photos from my camera to a tablet for people to view as I'm taking photos at events & this is done without ever connecting to the Internet.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Internet is what you can access outside your closed network, intranet is what you can access in your network

kevboard

Thank you for everyone who contributed, so it goes like this

Since Portal and PS5 on the same netwok, portal can bypass Internet and establish some sort of link with PS5 through the modem?

It was fascinating to me, I didn't know that

...you never heard of LAN connections?

kids these days man...

kevboard

Kids?

My heart 💔

I will see myself out of my own thread 🤣

well, hard to say these days. there are 2 demographics that are bad with computers and everything related to Wifi, routers, modems etc.

these 2 demographics are people born before ~1985 and people born after ~2010
so I took a shot in the dark here :pie_wfwt:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
well, hard to say these days. there are 2 demographics that are bad with computers and everything related to Wifi, routers, modems etc.

Close enough man 🤣

Since Portal and PS5 on the same netwok, portal can bypass Internet and establish some sort of link with PS5 through the modem?
Since you're genuinely curious.
No it doesn't "bypass" internet, internet is the third step, the second step is WAN, the first step is LAN, intranet can be both WAN and LAN; LAN stands for local area network.
Everything on your local area network can comm,unicate with each other if allowed, WiFi in that sense is (almost) no different than using cables, it's just, well, wireless.
So your Portal and PS5 are allowed to communicate with each other, so they do. Doing this over internet would just add lag since they would have to make a roundtrip to whatever server they would have to connect somewhere in a datacenter kilometers away from you.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Since you're genuinely curious.
No it doesn't "bypass" internet, internet is the third step, the second step is WAN, the first step is LAN, intranet can be both WAN and LAN; LAN stands for local area network.
Everything on your local area network can comm,unicate with each other if allowed, WiFi in that sense is (almost) no different than using cables, it's just, well, wireless.
So your Portal and PS5 are allowed to communicate with each other, so they do. Doing this over internet would just add lag since they would have to make a roundtrip to whatever server they would have to connect somewhere in a datacenter kilometers away from you.
Wow, thats actually eye opening. I had no idea there was so many layers like this.

Thanks for explaining

kevboard

Doing this over internet would just add lag since they would have to make a roundtrip to whatever server they would have to connect somewhere in a datacenter kilometers away from you.

very curious fun fact however... PS Cloud streaming has lower latency than the PS Portal has locally (or PS5 Remote Play in general, as it's all the same on any device that has an app)

Last edited:

longrainwater

Neo Member
Your home is one network. PlayStation Network is another network. The Internet (Inter-Network) is between your home network and the PlayStation network, connecting them.

Your internet connection is down, so you can’t connect to the PlayStation network. However, since your portal and PlayStation are both on your home network, they can still connect to one another.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
🤣🤣

Not sure if Im getting old for technology, or I went full retard like you said 🤣
This is the way to handle a thread like this, unlike the thread M Mooreberg had a few months ago. That dude still hasn’t shown his face since 😂

SweetTooth SweetTooth , you’re a legend mate

Wow, thats actually eye opening. I had no idea there was so many layers like this.

Thanks for explaining
Many devices use your home network wifi as a means to communicate with each other. Eg: streaming from a laptop or phone to a TV, wifi speakers, hue lights etc..

🤣🤣

Not sure if Im getting old for technology, or I went full retard like you said 🤣
Wait, you are old and didn't know the difference between wifi and internet? I assumed you were like 15 and grew up with everything being "wifi" and didn't know any better.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Lol 😂 portal just uses you modems wireless signal to connect to PS5. Doesn't matter if that modem has Internet access or not, but obviously Internet access is need for features like the store.

Think of it as a connection like steam in home streaming or the Wii u.

Basically, since portal is connected to your router via wifi. Your PS5 should be connected to the same router. That one router is your internal network. Your internal network devices do not need the internet to communicate to each other. In this case, your PS5 Is communicating with your Portal directly on the internal network and there is not a need for an external connection to the internet.

Fess

Bad at computers if you’re born before 1985? Not a fan of that generalization… I already played on computers in 1985, that was right when Commodore was getting big. Probably have to go back to being born before 1960 to get your theory working, but my dad got me into computers and was born in the 40s so it depends on what you’re interested in or what you do for a living and when and how you got introduced to computers. The old and soon to be retired folks at my work are the only ones who knows machine code low level stuff. The youngster computer nerds knows Raspberry Pies and some Linux and server stuff. Slight exaggeration, now I feel bad, they’re great.

Last edited:

There's a term for it. It's called the "intranet"

Topher

Gold Member

Eh.....I was born in 1970 so I think 1985 is way too late for that generalization. The 1990s had a boom economy because of the computer industry and folks getting online. Those same people migrated to broadband and then wifi fairly seamlessly. Now my Dad's generation......they didn't have a clue. But he was born in 1941 so.....not sure where that line is drawn.

Last edited:

iHaunter

You're also wrong lol

You can use Wifi without the Internet to stream stuff locally.

For example I use Wifi to transfer photos from my camera to a tablet for people to view as I'm taking photos at events & this is done without ever connecting to the Internet.
That's literally what I said in my earlier post.

Top Bottom