• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Disabled, or just desperate? Rural Americans turn to disability as jobs dry up

KSweeley

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/2017/03/30/disabled-or-just-desperate/

WaPo is reporting that unemployed Americans in rural areas are applying for disability to replace income from jobs.

Across large swaths of the country, disability has become a force that has reshaped scores of mostly white, almost exclusively rural communities, where as many as one-third of working-age adults live on monthly disability checks, according to a Washington Post analysis of Social Security Administration statistics.

Rural America experienced the most rapid increase in disability rates over the past decade, the analysis found, amid broad growth in disability that was partly driven by demographic changes that are now slowing as disabled baby-boomers age into retirement.

The increases have been worse in working-class areas, worse still in communities where residents are older, and worst of all in places with shrinking populations and few immigrants.

All but two of the 102 counties with the highest rates — where at minimum about one in six working-age adults receive disability — were rural, the analysis found, although the vast majority of people on disability live in cities and suburbs.

The counties — spread out from northern Michigan, through the boot heel of Missouri and Appalachia, and into the Deep South — are largely racially homogeneous. Sixteen of the counties were majority black, but the remaining counties were, on average, 90 percent white. In the 2016 presidential election, the majority-white counties voted overwhelmingly for Donald Trump, whose rhetoric of a rotting nation with vast joblessness often reflects lived experiences in these communities.

Most people aren’t employed when they apply for disability — one reason applicant rates skyrocketed during the recession. Full-time employment would, in fact, disqualify most applicants. And once on it, few ever get off, their ranks uncounted in the national unemployment rate, which doesn’t include people on disability.

The decision to apply, in many cases, is a decision to effectively abandon working altogether. For the severely disabled, this choice is, in essence, made for them. But for others, it’s murkier. Aches accumulate. Years pile up. Job prospects diminish.

Pakkidis

This is what confuses me. If these people rely so heavily on government assistance why do they overwhelming vote for a party that is trying to take away their assistance?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is what confuses me. If these people rely so heavily on government assistance why do they overwhelming vote for a party that is trying to take away their assistance?

It's so the other people can't have it.

I have, god's honest truth, sat in a rural Pennsylvania doctor's office and listened to a white guy who was:

1. mid-40s

2. unemployed

3. on full time disability

... start on a racist bitch fest about The Blacks in the cities, who are lazy, entitled, and can't fend for themselves. He actually said "we were taught to be independent."

To be fair, even in rural PA, everybody else in the room gave him such a death stare he shut up. But that's how bad the cognitive dissonance is with such people.

*God forbid those negroes and illegals take what I've earned! They need to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps!*

Also doesn't help that the current Republican Party framed themselves as the Christian party.

Aaron

Because bad parents and bad education never taught them to think for themselves. They lack the capacity to make connections that come to you so easily. Unable to think for themselves, their lives are dominated by the loudest voices, which are Fox News and other right wing sources.

Lubricus

From social security:
The monthly maximum Federal amounts for 2017 are $735 for an eligible individual, $1,103 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse, and $368 for an essential person.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/SSI.html

How does one live on that? The states can supplement the payments but I imagine we are talking about a few hundred dollars.
Neighbors down the road are both on disability. The man works every once in a while for cash but I don't see how they make it.

I've noticed in this and in other situations, a lot of people who are in a bad situation really want someone else who's doing worse so they can feel better about themselves.

Maximo

Stupidity and hate is so strong they are willing to die because of it.

Bleepey

I have, god's honest truth, sat in a rural Pennsylvania doctor's office and listened to a white guy who was:

1. mid-40s

2. unemployed

... start on a racist bitch fest about The Blacks in the cities, who are lazy, entitled, and can't fend for themselves. He actually said "we were taught to be independent."

To be fair, even in rural PA, everybody else in the room gave him such a death stare he shut up. But that's how bad the cognitive dissonance is with such people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

1. mid-40s

2. unemployed

Sometimes wonder if most of them actually believe that( I'm sure many do) or they are projecting, and using AAs as a scapegoat.

Dishwalla

Banned
My cousin down in down in rural South Carolina gets like $460 a month in food stamps to help feed her two kids, which is enough for two really good shopping trips a month. I went with her the other week on one of her trips to Walmart and she had her cart overflowing with food, total for the trip came out to like $240. She's extremely happy she has food stamps and is comfortably able to feed her kids, but I've told her enjoy that shit while you can, guarantee the GOP will be looking to cut it.

I would be willing to give these people some sympathy, except nearly all of these people were the same assholes who refused to acknowledge outside societal causes when it was hurting minorities the most.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
This is only temporary until Trump gives Alabama money to build an auto plant large enough to manufacture 5,000 coal-powered duallie pickups every day that will then be sold to a coalition of Baptist and Church of Christ missionaries mustering at our southern borders to protect our endangered way of life

EDIT:
I actually support social programs that support those in need, but a little soul-searching among rural whites might do everyone some good

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

They're easily riled up and manipulated and vote for things they hate more easily than things they love. Republicans don't even bother explaining why obamacare is bad, they just invoke Obama and Hillary and that's enough for some.

Aselith

They've said it. They only believe the stuff that they support and don't think the bad stuff for them will really happen

Slo

As someone who grew up in the rural Midwest, I've seen this too. Of the white welfare recipients that I've known, most feel like they are good intentioned, hard working, and they're just about to turn the corner towards not needing welfare anymore. Those same people, (again, only in my experience) tend to imagine black "welfare queens" as sinister moochers who are working the system and cackling about it behind our backs.

I'm not sure how they manage to compartmentalize like that, and villainize people who are in their same situation.

Zabka

As someone who grew up in the rural Midwest, I've seen this too. Of the white welfare recipients that I've known, most feel like they are good intentioned, hard working, and they're just about to turn the corner towards not needing welfare anymore. Those same people, (again, only in my experience) tend to imagine black "welfare queens" as sinister moochers who are working the system and cackling about it behind our backs.

I'm not sure how they manage to compartmentalize like that, and villainize people who are in their same situation.

Like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

Slo

As a side note, for anyone who wants a window into "white trash" culture from the point of view of someone who made it out, I highly recommend reading Hillbilly Elergy by J.D. Vance. Very reflective, very self aware, but somewhat apologetic for the making of Trumpers.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

When we talk about racism as a barrier to economic progressivism this is part of what we're referring to. I'm convinced you really could rally popular support behind a much more robust social safety net if you could advertise that only white people would get it

1. mid-40s

2. unemployed

But don't call them racist tho. Oh no!🙄😲

Amirai

I'm pretty unhappy with the Washington post for the two disability articles they've put out.

https://talkpoverty.org/2017/04/18/washington-post-correction-disability-story-still-wrong/

Last week, TalkPoverty pointed out several serious problems with The Washington Post’s recent analysis of Social Security disability benefits in rural America. Yesterday, The Post issued a correction alongside new calculations. Unfortunately, there are still major problems with their data—and their central thesis.

Even using The Post’s flawed methods, they were only able to find one county—out of more than 3,100 counties nationwide—where the story’s central claim that “as many as one-third of working-age adults are receiving monthly disability checks” holds up. Not a single other county even comes close.

If by “large swaths” and “scores of… rural communities” The Post means McDowell County, West Virginia, population less than 21,000 residents—and nowhere else in America—then sure.

But the fact is there’s a word for using data this way: cherry-picking.

Moreover, if you swap out the unusual data set The Post chose for the aforementioned Census Bureau’s ACS data, you actually won’t find a single county in the U.S. where The Post’s central claim is true—and the dramatic percentages The Post’s map and other graphics depict start to look a lot less, well, dramatic.

Irresponsible reporting like this is what helped shape the welfare queen myth. Shame on the people involved in writing those articles on the Washington post for such shoddy reporting targeting the most vulnerable of us.

emag

From social security:

How does one live on that? The states can supplement the payments but I imagine we are talking about a few hundred dollars.
Neighbors down the road are both on disability. The man works every once in a while for cash but I don't see how they make it.

SSI is different from and often less than SSDI (disability income). Besides, expenses in rural communities are extremely low, and food stamps cover food anyway.

Trump won the primary by promising he was a "different kind of republican" who would never cut Medicaid, Medicare, or Social Security.

We knew he was lying but they didn't.

Samples:

https://www.romper.com/p/heres-all-the-times-donald-trump-promised-not-to-cut-medicaid-59454

“I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid,” Trump told The Daily Signal. “Every other Republican is going to cut, and even if they wouldn’t, they don’t know what to do because they don’t know where the money is. I do.”​

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/health/opioid-trump-supporter-medicaid-health-care-reform/index.html
But now, Moss refuses to play the guitar with the Trump decorations. He's soured on the President because of the newly proposed Republican health care bill.
That legislation, which the president supports, could result in dramatic cuts in addiction treatment services.
Three years ago, Moss found his son, Rob, dead in his bed from a heroin overdose. He was 24.
"The bill is an absolute betrayal of what Trump represented on the campaign trail," he said. "I feel betrayed."​

The Llama

I'm pretty unhappy with the Washington post worth the two disability articles they've put out.

https://talkpoverty.org/2017/04/18/washington-post-correction-disability-story-still-wrong/

Irresponsible reporting like this is what helped shape the welfare queen myth. Shame on the people involved in writing those articles on the Washington post for such shoddy reporting targeting the most vulnerable of us.
I've really enjoyed reading these articles so this is super disappointing to read.

FStubbs

When we talk about racism as a barrier to economic progressivism this is part of what we're referring to. I'm convinced you really could rally popular support behind a much more robust social safety net if you could advertise that only white people would get it

This is literally how FDR and others got Southern racists on board with assistance programs.

br3wnor

From social security:

SSI is disability for people who don't have extensive work histories. If you work for some years and have paid into social security then your number will definitely be higher than that (it's a formula based on your years worked and how much tov paid into social security over your working lifetime) My dad worked for 30 years before getting on disability (construction, knee replacements, carpal tunnel, etc.) and I think he gets like $2600 a month? That plus his pension and my parents are able to make it work but it's still tight. SSI levels is just absurd in terms of tryin to live off of that.

jb1234

SSI is disability for people who don't have extensive work histories. If you work for some years and have paid into social security then your number will definitely be higher than that (it's a formula based on your years worked and how much tov paid into social security over your working lifetime) My dad worked for 30 years before getting on disability (construction, knee replacements, carpal tunnel, etc.) and I think he gets like $2600 a month? That plus his pension and my parents are able to make it work but it's still tight. SSI levels is just absurd in terms of tryin to live off of that.

I lived off SSI for years (disabled very early in my life, never got a chance to put money into the system) and got a little over $700 a month, which I made work with the help of lots of government assistance programs. They eventually switched me over to SSD (not my choice) based off my estranged dad's record, which gave me an additional $300 a month but also deeply reduced my food stamps and forced me to switch from Medicaid to Medicare (which means a premium and no more dental and eye care, among other things). Basically, I was better off on SSI. The system sucks.

Linkura

Strictly speaking about the guy in the article... it says right in the article that he didn't want to apply for a fast food job because he'd be making less than he did at his old job. Yet, even at minimum wage, he'd still be bringing in way more than a disability check working full-time, and he'd likely still qualify for food stamps and the like. I mean, if he were legitimately disabled and could not work that job after trying it, fine, but it kills me that many unemployed people think jobs are "beneath" them just because they paid less than their previous job. I heard this all the time during the recession and it boggles my mind that people would rather be in severe poverty with little or no income than get a job that pays less than their old one.

Foffy

Banned
Strictly speaking about the guy in the article... it says right in the article that he didn't want to apply for a fast food job because he'd be making less than he did at his old job. Yet, even at minimum wage, he'd still be bringing in way more than a disability check working full-time, and he'd likely still qualify for food stamps and the like. I mean, if he were legitimately disabled and could not work that job after trying it, fine, but it kills me that many unemployed people think jobs are "beneath" them just because they paid less than their previous job. I heard this all the time during the recession and it boggles my mind that people would rather be in severe poverty with little or no income than get a job that pays less than their old one.

No job is probably more stable than being caught in precarious work, and that should speak volumes to the problem facing precariat classes in places like America.

At least the former has some semblance of a constant experience. The latter is a fucking whirlwind that fluctuates.

White people hate minorities so much they would rather suffer than let minorities try to live comfortably

Some of them are willing to take one for the team as long as we suffer

Codeblue

It's so the other people can't have it.

Anyone that accepts medicare in a rural area can confirm this. Certain people are entitled to government assistance while others are merely lazy, and they would rather burn their own house down than watch their neighbors eat fish.

Chumly

One of the major drawbacks of our broken disability system is that there is no tapering off or in between status. You can either work or you can't. If the government gave partial disability while allowing people to work low wage jobs I think this would help significantly. In addition the government incentivizes low income people on disability to spend/waste their money. If you have too many assets you lose Medicaid and other assistance.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No job is probably more stable than being caught in precarious work, and that should speak volumes to the problem facing precariat classes in places like America.

At least the former has some semblance of a constant experience. The latter is a fucking whirlwind that fluctuates.

When you work you have higher expenses, which incurs debt, which brings the threat of bankruptcy, so if you end up losing your job and declare bankruptcy it will make it more difficult in the future to be able to pay expenses when you get a job back, so it becomes an outright trap.

Sophia

One of the major drawbacks of our broken disability system is that there is no tapering off or in between status. You can either work or you can't. If the government gave partial disability while allowing people to work low wage jobs I think this would help significantly. In addition the government incentivizes low income people on disability to spend/waste their money. If you have too many assets you lose Medicaid and other assistance.

SSI has an income exclusion, where they only take half of what you make (past the first $85) out. But this has a problem in that it devalues the work you actually do, plus there's an upper limit of having only $2000 in resources.

It's an extremely damaged and fundamentally flawed system that provides little resources to help people get off it.

Chumly

SSI has an income exclusion, where they only take half of what you make (past the first $85) out. But this has a problem in that it devalues the work you actually do, plus there's an upper limit of having only $2000 in resources.

It's an extremely damaged and fundamentally flawed system that provides little resources to help people get off it.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm familiar with it as well. 2k in resources is ridiculous. It's no wonder people don't want to work because they are afraid to lose their main income and Medicaid that comes attached to it. If you need your Medicaid why would you take a low paying job that doesn't provide the medical coverage you need.

SSD needs to be overhauled for the same reason.

Sophia

That's what I'm talking about. I'm familiar with it as well. 2k in resources is ridiculous. It's no wonder people don't want to work because they are afraid to lose their main income and Medicaid that comes attached to it. If you need your Medicaid why would you take a low paying job that doesn't provide the medical coverage you need.

SSD needs to be overhauled for the same reason.

For what it's worth, there are some scenarios where you can still keep Medicaid. But yeah, it's completely absurd that the people who are genuinely disabled have to throw away their safety net just to better themselves. SSD is a little bit better, in that you can earn a certain amount without losing your safety net, but still...

The system needs a revamp, and it needs one badly. And Republicans have no interest in it unless it's about dismantling the system entirely. :(

Top Bottom