• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War of the Roses |OT| Swords and Boards, Bashin' and Slashin'

Sethos

Banned
I don't think it's hard to compare them at all. Their control methods are nearly identical and they both deal with medieval hand to hand team combat in a third person perspective. But yes, two different devs.

I'd disagree. Medal of Honor and Call of Duty 4+ are also in the same time period and have similar controls but you don't compare one of them as a 'sequel' to the other.

Okay, reaching a bit but when there's two different developers the games are going to feel a lot different and they do, especially when they cover two entirely different aspects and have very different styles.

Pyrrhus

I'd disagree. Medal of Honor and Call of Duty 4+ are also in the same time period and have similar controls but you don't compare one of them as a 'sequel' to the other.

Okay, reaching a bit but when there's two different developers the games are going to feel a lot different and they do, especially when they cover two entirely different aspects and have very different styles.

I didn't say they were sequels. Did anyone? They have different styles, sure. One is fantasy, one is semi-historical. And Mount & Blade largely hews to the earlier ages of combat rather than the high medieval. But they're certainly close enough to be directly compared. And of course you can compare Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. People did constantly when the most recent MoH came out.

bxy1zbrcppfypcfz.jpg

I told you, I get to play games 10pm to 1 a.m.

/not obscure

Haunted

I was excited for this game, but that excitement was lost after playing in the beta.

This game has one crucial problem: there is no game mode with no respawning. This is what made online Mount & Blade so great for me (in particular, cRPG). A huge 64 vs. 64 battle with no respawning until one side was the victor...it made fights tense, and kills very satisfying.

War of the Roses is simply a zergfest by comparison. You can be having an epic duel with an enemy, and then one of his teammates just spawns behind you and kills you. It really ruins it for me.
Makes sense.

I'd love to see this get a singleplayer campaign. It doesn't have to be as involved as M&B, just focus on the combat portion, battling through some of these battles following the story of a mercenary throughout the war or something. The combat system is great, the graphics are solid, but as a online only game, it just doesn't really interest me.

Chivalry looks even better from what I've seen (at least graphics and animation), but the same applies there.

Midou

I played 5 hours of this today, I can't get into competitive multiplayer games most of the time, but I'm enjoying this a lot.

It takes a long time to get used to the combat, and each weapon by extension, but when you get it down, oh so satisfying.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Makes sense.

I'd love to see this get a singleplayer campaign. It doesn't have to be as involved as M&B, just focus on the combat portion, battling through some of these battles following the story of a mercenary throughout the war or something. The combat system is great, the graphics are solid, but as a online only game, it just doesn't really interest me.

Chivalry looks even better from what I've seen (at least graphics and animation), but the same applies there.
The state of the bots doesn't make me hopeful about seeing decent single player from this. They're like, original Red Orchestra bad.

Saty

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/135704/the-war-of-the-roses-gets-permanent
With thousands of players duking it out on the server battlefields of War of the Roses, Paradox has officially confirmed plans to form a permanent franchise team for War of the Roses which will be led by Executive Producer Gordon Van Dyke. The game has enjoyed an enthusiastic reception by reviewers and gamers alike.

“There is no doubt that War of the Roses has been an ambitious project for us,” noted Gordon Van Dyke. “The game’s reception from players has exceeded expectations and we are truly grateful for the continued support from the community. We’ll continue to improve the game and add substantial content for all players.”

Pyrrhus

Also, is the Deluxe Edition stuff worth getting?

It's all just ornamental. On the one hand, it's all unlocked from word go. But on the other, the unlocks of the conventional versions of the items wouldn't take that long. For instance, one of the items in the deluxe edition is the Black Carbon Castillon Sword. It's a version of the sword with a slightly darker tinge to the metal. The stats are the same, though. You have to get to level 10 or 15 to be able to unlock the standard version the Castillon Sword. But that should only take 3 or 4 hours. And the sword's not amazingly better than the Arming Sword you can use from the very beginning. And beyond that, it's mostly just a special armor color and a rather stupid looking honey badger crest for your helmet, to ride on the coattails of a dated meme.

Ceebs

Picked this up last night through GMG for 22 bucks after the Giant Bomb quicklook. It's pretty fun. The spawning could use some work and more game modes would be nice.

Still, when you get in some one on one fights the combat feels pretty great.

Fitz

Fuck this game.

I really want to enjoy it but it just won't let me. Was just having a nice bit of crossbow fun, racking up the kills when some dude in full plate runs at me swinging his 2h sword like a nutter. I pull out my Castillon sword, block his first strike and start going to town with stabs and slashes to the face, just as I think he's about to go down his buddy with a sword and board spawns on him and spams shield bash on me to death.
The problem is that this happens ALL THE TIME, it's infuriating as hell. All of the other problems are a pain, like the fact the conquest mode isn't conquest at all, but the squad spawning system is complete bullshit. Even if you think you're safe going around in a group of 2 or 3, you still end up with hordes of enemies spawning on top of you to no end.

I quite like the combat, imbalances aside I really like the pace and feel of it, but I just can't see myself playing this much more if at all unless they change the spawning system, or at least implement some decent game modes that aren't just an utter clusterfuck.

Pyrrhus

Would've been a good game if not for the retarded respawn mechanic and loads of game crashing bugs. I'm more or less done with it. Just waiting on Chivalry at this point. This could have been great and they fucked it up.

DirtyLary

Would've been a good game if not for the retarded respawn mechanic and loads of game crashing bugs. I'm more or less done with it. Just waiting on Chivalry at this point. This could have been great and they fucked it up.

All signs point to the squad leader spawning to be removed. They have two polls on their Facebook page asking fans what gamemode they want and if they wanted the silly squad spawning removed.

Don't give up on the game just yet, especially now that they have a dedicated team to support the game with fixes and content.

Pyrrhus

All signs point to the squad leader spawning to be removed. They have two polls on their Facebook page asking fans what gamemode they want and if they wanted the silly squad spawning removed.

Don't give up on the game just yet, especially now that they have a dedicated team to support the game with fixes and content.

That's all moving in the right direction I guess. But why did the game ship like this? They had several betas. I was in one of them and everyone complained about the respawn mechanic even then. Why did it make it into the final release?

More importantly, why did the game ship even buggier and less stable than the betas? I mean, last time I played, I played three matches in a row. Two of those matches ended with a crash to desktop in the last 30 seconds. The match that did finish properly crashed when trying to load the next map. But at least I got my XP that time.

I mean, I can forgive some unbalanced mechanics like archers being able to hold their own against knights in plate armor using a dagger or the way you can just whip a 2-handed sword around like it's nothing and still do major damage. But outright wasting my time by having me play a whole match before being unceremoniously dumped to desktop is beyond the limit.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed in how little content there is here. I thought they were holding stuff back in the beta because it was pretty sparse. Turns out they weren't. I just get this bad feeling they intend to nickel and dime their playerbase to death with stuff that one would reasonably expect to have already been in the game. For instance, there is only one kind of medium weight armor. And only two kinds of helms. One crossbow. One shield. You see where I'm going with it all.

What's strange is that they clearly put a lot of money into going on location to look at places and make historically plausible times and locations for the battles. And yet there's so little to show for it in the final game. No historical figures to follow or bring down, no objectives beyond standing in front of a church or inside a barn for 30 seconds, no real continuity between any of the battles, etc. It's like they just ran out of time or money or they scope was drastically reduced while it was deep in development and the players are left to pick up the pieces.

DirtyLary

That's all moving in the right direction I guess. But why did the game ship like this?

I'm not sure the answers. But being a 6 man development team might be some of the reason.

I think alot of the bs will change when the spawning is gone. I'm hoping people will actually care about surviving a fight rather than running back from the spawn every second.

Right now it's all 2h plate nubs just swinging for the fences relying on the platemail to keep them alive long than the other guy while spamming slashes.

I have a nice build to counter these guys. Once you get past the learning curve the game slows down for you and you can block and counter these people easier.

Don't give up it's a great game with huge potential. With Chivarly M&B2 and WOTR the competition is good for all these games to it right.

Forkball

I should probably update my first OT, right? The developers just announced new content.

Additional weapons, maps, and game modes

NEW YORK – October 15, 2012 – The battles within War of the Roses have been brutal to say the least, but soon players will receive a whole new arsenal to wield havoc with on the field. Paradox Interactive and Fatshark today revealed more details on new content coming to medieval melee action title War of the Roses, including brand new sets of weaponry and armor, additional game modes, and some wintry new maps.

This November, War of the Roses will see its first new content drop, which will introduce a wide variety of weapons, including a horn-spanned crossbow for ranged enthusiasts and a Hospitaller pollaxe made famous by the company of knights bearing the same name. Players will also be able to get their gritty hands on the Milanese Knights Hospitaller crafted Heavy Armor, which can be customized with any of 10 different paint options, as well as an assortment of new visors and one new helmet.

Come winter, knights should start preparing for two new challenging game modes and snow-laden maps as the war for the crown of England heads into the harshest months of the year. The first mode being introduced is Pitched Battle, where soldiers for the houses of Lancaster and York will soon learn to value their lives. The upcoming mode is launching into beta very soon, and interested players should keep an eye on the forum http://tinyurl.com/cd3ugvw for more details.

Two new maps are also confirmed, inspired by the battles of Wakefield and Towton. With both of these historic skirmishes taking place in an extremely cold winter from December 1460 to March 1461, it’s only fitting that both maps introduce a new weather mechanic that will set snow and sleet against ally and adversary alike.

Content updates will automatically add new items to be acquired in the game. The system is designed to reward players who have invested a lot of playing hours into the game and items will be immediately available for players to redeem though accumulated in-game currency. For those who are too impatient, there are also options to purchase in-game currency to secure content.

More details on the newly announced modes and maps to come throughout Q4, for more details on War of the Roses please visit the title’s official site at http://www.waroftherosesthegame.com

The game mode sounds like the one-life mode everyone's been craving, good to see it might hit. The new weapons sound interesting as well. I'm a little surprised about the in-game purchases with real money, but I guess that's the generation we're in now. I never thought it was too hard to get money in the game, especially since early access week had a huge buff to the amount of money and experience you get.

It's good to see the developers are serious about adding more content. The game is active and is fun, but there are still a lot of problems, especially the spawning. I hope the new modes rectify this.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hopefully "Pitched Battle" becomes the #1 mode to play with if it's true about it being no-redspawn.

Pyrrhus

They have real gall to add real money transactions when they haven't even managed to make the game stop crashing in the middle of matches. Nor have the fixed the balance and design issues. The playerbase has already dropped to around 600 concurrent users, down from 3000 or so at launch. So I'd say they've already killed their audience. After Lead & Gold and now this game, I've learned my lesson regarding Fat Shark.

FGMPR

Banned
Real money transactions in something like Guild Wars 2 I can accept. But this? no way and considering they are doing it post-launch is extra insulting.

Ceebs

Its just the usual pay us money to unlock stuff faster. As long as the gold rate and prices stay the same, I have no problems with it. It is far less sinister than locking items behind a paywall.

Pyrrhus

Its just the usual pay us money to unlock stuff faster. As long as the gold rate and prices stay the same, I have no problems with it. It is far less sinister than locking items behind a paywall.

It's still putting the cart before the horse. You get your house in order before you start holding out your hand for more money.

FYC

Banned
There's a free weekend for this until tomorrow, and it's 75% off 'til Monday!

Gonna try it out myself.

justjim89

Awesome, I love when I waste money on a game I can't even fucking run. Should have tried the demo, I suppose. But I figured if I can run Chivalry reasonably, then this game shouldn't present a problem either. But even on minimum settings at reduced resolution this game runs like ass on my laptop. Poorly optimized for low end machines, I suppose.

Oh well, what's $5 flushed down the toilet, anyway?

Top Bottom