• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

derFeef

daedalius said:
Good reviews out of Game Informer and Kotaku (although Kotaku is sometimes...)

Vinny needs to review it at Giantbomb.
Kessler is doing the review. But I will listen to the Bombcast today to hear their opinion.

Jinaar

Friend is trying to get a grasp in Multiplayer on Plasma Weapons and their effectiveness compared with the other non-plasma weapons. Because of the way challenges work, you have to kill with said weapons to keep succeed.

Now, for those that have invested in the MP:
1 - Can you actively get Plasma kills with minimum/average/great effort?
2 - Do you end up dying more often then not when in a one on one battle with someone with a non-plasma weapon?
3 - Do you employ techniques with said Plasma weapon to maximize your damage after you destroy your opponents shields with your first shot from the Plasma Weapon?

All questions are based around the situation that you want to get the kill with the Plasma Weapon and not use it to destroy the shields of your opponent and then switch to another weapon to finish off the kill. Challenges require you to pretty much kill with said weapons, what do you say GAF? Thoughts?

In my experience, I lose way more battles then I win when use Plasma weapons, from the pistol to the cannon compared to using non-plasma weapons.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I regularly get a 3:1 Kill to Death ratio when I'm using the Plasma Cannon. Not a fan of the Plasma Gun though, so I can't speak for Plasma Gun/Bolt Pistol combos.

Jinaar

Lyphen said:
I regularly get a 3:1 Kill to Death ratio when I'm using the Plasma Cannon. Not a fan of the Plasma Gun though, so I can't speak for Plasma Gun/Bolt Pistol combos.

Any tricks or tips with the Plasma Cannon you employ?

daedalius

Jinaar said:

Treat it like a Quake rocket launcher, but one you can charge and kill tons of people with ;)

Plasma pistol on assault is super effective for stripping armor, but not too great vs health.

Tokubetsu

Plasma cannon is cheap. Don't use it. ='(

Blast radius is ridiculous. Only way to survive is just hope it misses you by a fucking mile. Even with shit like Iron Halo it'll leave with almost no health (and obviously no shields).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Jinaar said:
Mobility and close-medium range ambushing. Since there's no set up time, you can pretty much rain death so long as you catch them off guard. Even if you don't, jumping to cover and creating a wall of plasma to deter enemies while your shield regenerates is effective and gives you another chance. I also like to hang around Tactical Marines with Beacon - keeps people distracted with a steady stream of spawns.

I stick to quick bursts and only charge up when I'm taking out a stationary Devastator/Havok. On the bridge map, I'll either take the diagonal ladder to the top-middle area and jump down to get people underneath, or use the area under the bridge to get there. Manufactorum is a killing field if you stick to the bottom areas and defend capture points. Alot of the game had to do with knowing when to back the hell out, and properly positioning yourself for the opening attack.

I'm honestly getting damn good with the Assault Marine thanks to knowing to to land the opening crush + stun pretty effectively (and also going in from off-screen).

Tokubetsu said:

Blast radius is ridiculous. Only way to survive is just hope it misses you by a fucking mile. Even with shit like Iron Halo it'll leave with almost no health (and obviously no shields).

It's a fucking heavy weapon. It's supposed to one-shot most troops in the game.

It's not cheap.

It's at parity with everything else in the WH 40K theme.

El'Kharn

Tokubetsu said:

The actual projectile is stupidly slow so its possible to dodge out of its blast radius IF you see it coming, otherwise you are dead :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
derFeef said:
He sums up my opinion about it (only lvl 11 or 12 here, if you want to judge) pretty well, though.
It's definitely generic, but specific complaints (like the melee combat) just make it seem like he isn't doing it right. And watching him continue combos into thin air reinforces that. MP isn't as button mashy and much more punishing than single player.

Man, I wish I could stream myself playing.

CrookedRain said:
The multi-kill challenges are ridiculous, especially for the meltagun.
Grudge kills are worse!

grendelrt

Does anyone know if you start a new campaign on a harder difficulty what happens with the servitor skulls? Do they reset or can you just find the ones you were missing from before, I finished it on Normal thinking of starting it on Hard.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
grendelrt said:
Does anyone know if you start a new campaign on a harder difficulty what happens with the servitor skulls? Do they reset or can you just find the ones you were missing from before, I finished it on Normal thinking of starting it on Hard.

Only the ones you missed will be present.

Shouldn't have started on Hard, last few chapters (just got to 17) are too annoying, especially with the spacing between checkpoints. The guys who act like turrets spewing a beam at you are fucking terrible.

CrookedRain said:
The multi-kill challenges are ridiculous, especially for the meltagun.

I tried for 3 hours and only got 1 multi-kill out of 3 possible multi-kill scenarios. RIDICULOUS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET 15??!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Uriah said:
I hate grinding for shit. They should just give us all weapons and perks.
Eh, I think it's fine as is. None of the weapons take too long to unlock, and personally, none of the weapon perks are 'necessary' except for Heavy Bolter expertize and Kraken Bolts.

Locking the final perk slot for so long is lame though.

I'm loving every second of this game. PC lag is a bit rough but every now and then I manage to get into a good stable game.

My only complaint is during SP there are sections where you just move from encounter to encounter which seem far too long. I walk into the room and think "Where are the enemies?" The rooms appears set up for a fight but you just walk on through to another door.

Does hard increase Ork count?

Ketch

I'm not sure I like MP at all... which is kind of a shame, because I really want to like it. It reminds me of War for Cybertron just without the transforming (obviously). I've been focusing on assault class but I just routinely get destroyed, like 3/7 k/d ratio or worse. The thing is I'm just not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll try to keep medium range and defend points mostly, but even 1v1 when I get the jump on someone I still get smoked. I'm only lvl 10 right now, so maybe it's because everyone is just higher level? Anyone have a good load out for assault? general gameplay tips?

On the other had SP is awesome so far, I'm not that far in yet but they really nailed the badass space marine feeling.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
EasyTGT said:
I'm not sure I like MP at all... which is kind of a shame, because I really want to like it. It reminds me of War for Cybertron just without the transforming (obviously). I've been focusing on assault class but I just routinely get destroyed, like 3/7 k/d ratio or worse. The thing is I'm just not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll try to keep medium range and defend points mostly, but even 1v1 when I get the jump on someone I still get smoked. I'm only lvl 10 right now, so maybe it's because everyone is just higher level? Anyone have a good load out for assault? general gameplay tips?

On the other had SP is awesome so far, I'm not that far in yet but they really nailed the badass space marine feeling.
As Assault, defending a CP isn't your strong point, so you should try being more mobile and hunting down solo enemies or entrenched, tunnel-visioned HW guys. Land directly behind them, stun immediately so they can't roll out, and begin your combo. Don't button mash and jump back out if you failed the initiation.

Salazar

Phanatic8390 said:
My only complaint is during SP there are sections where you just move from encounter to encounter which seem far too long. I walk into the room and think "Where are the enemies?" The rooms appears set up for a fight but you just walk on through to another door.

Yeah, even some gretchin to blast apart would have been good in a few of those rooms/corridors.

And fuck the sentry guns. Not interesting to fight. Not in keeping with the general way the combat works. Not interesting as a diversion.

Oh I just found out the Plasma Cannon is like the noob tube. Listen if your hand eye cooridination is so poor you have to sit at the back of the map and launch plasma balls just dont play maybe.

Jhriad

Just wanted to make sure but there's no co-op in the campaign just in this Exterminatus thing that will be released next month, Correct?

Ketch

Lyphen said:
As Assault, defending a CP isn't your strong point, so you should try being more mobile and hunting down solo enemies or entrenched, tunnel-visioned HW guys. Land directly behind them, stun immediately so they can't roll out, and begin your combo. Don't button mash and jump back out if you failed the initiation.

Opps, I guess I don't mean assault, I meant whatever the medium class is called. The guy with the homing beacon.

Steam, you win again.

I just bought both Space Marine and Dead Island ><

Sold my old iPhone last night on eBay (upgraded to an Android) so..that makes me feel less guilty...right?

Ok now I need like a week straight off to just play games 24/7.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
EasyTGT said:
Opps, I guess I don't mean assault, I meant whatever the medium class is called. The guy with the homing beacon.
What's killing you? Against Assault, roll like nuts and take pot shots since most can't coordinate the small jump well enough to get back into range. With Devastators, grenade is usually enough to take off the shields, and then aim for the upper body. Bolter weapons do get headshot bonuses. Big thing with Devastators is knowing where to approach them from. Heavy Bolter are mincemeat if they're in their stance and facing the other way - turning time is increased.

george_us

So I just got the lasecannon and I'm not feeling this game nearly as much as I thought I would be. There's just no depth or variety to combat at all and it feels like I've saw everything the game had to offer within the first half an hour or so. It also doesn't help that the level design is pretty terrible and lacking any sense of variety from a structural standpoint.

Salazar

george_us said:
There's just no depth or variety to combat at all

This is just a difference of just taste and interest, I suppose. I feel like there's quite a bit of room to play differently and to try to improve in combat. I wouldn't feel confident about nailing those stupidly demanding achievements if I didn't genuinely think that.

Melee could certainly do with a touch more variety; the brutish efficiency of it is alright, but it would be splendid to see some illustration of the fact that these are supposed to be tremendously skilled close combatants - not just amazingly powerful ones.

weekendCONFIRMED said:
Steam, you win again.

I just bought both Space Marine and Dead Island ><

Sold my old iPhone last night on eBay (upgraded to an Android) so..that makes me feel less guilty...right?

Ok now I need like a week straight off to just play games 24/7.

Nice, I am still trying to hold myself back from Dead Island....next month is going to be huge I don't need another title right now!

Ok back to staring at the Dead Island store page

Ketch

Lyphen said:
What's killing you?

Literally everything, I think I even fell off the map once. It just seems like I'm serving myself up a silver platter everytime I run into anyone. I'm using the "tactical" class w/ plasma gun, grenades, and tele beacon. I figured I could at least support by staying alive to provide the beacon and taking down other dudes shields, but no one every using the beacon and I'm less the useless alone.

When fighting dudes I try to stay medium range and pelt them with plasma then use melee to finish them off, but it seems like people are just repeatedly head shotting me or landing directly on me. Or even if I am nailing them with plasma they still kill me with melee first. Should I go back to the bolter? Are any of the perks any good? they all seems sucky.

I guess I should just try to suck less.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Both weapon perks for the Bolter are great. And I'd recommend not using melee as a Tactical unless you can't shoot (overheating or out of ammo on your Melta Gun). Tactical and Devastator are purely range classes unless you're using Serrated Blade perk, and even then, you don't have the mobility to use it effectively.

Lyphen said:
Both weapon perks for the Bolter are great. And I'd recommend not using melee as a Tactical unless you can't shoot (overheating or out of ammo on your Melta Gun). Tactical and Devastator are purely range classes unless you're using Serrated Blade perk, and even then, you don't have the mobility to use it effectively.

Ah I love the first Bolter perk (stronger ammo). I giggled like a small child when i saw it changed the look of the gun too

Tokubetsu

Narag said:
I can never seem to use it correctly. Guess it's time to practice.

Medium size bursts and don't be afraid to break your aim and roll. That's the difference between Tactical and Devastator, mobility.

Narag

Makes sense. I think I've traditionally caught myself just firing wantonly rather than trying to control an encounter.

daedalius

FieryBalrog said:
God, the last boss battle is terrible. I see what everyone was talking about.

Great ending to the game, though.

Would you really have rather circle strafed him with the meltagun for 5 minutes? :p

While I don't LOVE QTEs I thought it was well done. Maybe they will bring him out in the coop missions as a real fight, haha.

Titus in Deathwatch! With a ship, and a squad, going to different planets to uncover a tech heresy! So, not a sequel, just working for the Inquisition now ;)

Narag

daedalius said:
Would you really have rather circle strafed him with the meltagun for 5 minutes? :p

While I don't LOVE QTEs I thought it was well done. Maybe they will bring him out in the coop missions as a real fight, haha.

Lack of a defensive mechanic other than "kill him before he kills you" probably gimped that fight from the onset.

Top Bottom