• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

nbthedude

So anyone have a solution to this:

10336822_102013246454ewuwj.jpg

red731

No, servers are fucked. Use printscreen...

I am pissed since I was waiting all day to play this and now what...

Denton

SRTtoZ

Have the game on PS4 already but whats the word on:

680gtx
3820 i7
16gb ram

My guess would be high textures, mix of ultra/high everything else, decent AA, 30fps + @ 1080p?

I want to double dip but need to make sure its decent.

Serandur

Maaaaaan, this game is a mess... Crysis 1/2/3 were demanding but they were never this complicated to get them to run as you wanted them to. How come High textures require 2GB of memory but my card is only using 1.5GB? 660ti, memory at 6700MHz (700MHz overclock), boost clock 1246MHz (160MHz Overclock). Is this normal?

My 660ti has 166GB/s of memory bandwidth, a stock 670 has 192GB/s.

Exactly what my settings are. But the VRAM is CONSTANTLY at 1.5GB. Doesn't go up, doesn't go down.

The reason, I assume, is the 660Ti is in the awkward position of a 192-bit memory bus with an odd number using current-sized RAM chips. The card can only use up to 1.5 GB of those 2 GB (not due to bus transfer limitations, but uneven distribution of memory chips per each 64-bit memory controller; two have 512MBs each to manage, the third has 512 MBs plus another 512 MBs) at full bandwidth. It can access the additional 512 MBs if it absolutely needs to, but that cuts bandwidth by 3 and so in many games, it will only use up to 1.5 GBs consistently. It's another way Nvidia messed up VRAM configurations for the Kepler generation.

Not sure if I should get this on PC or PS4. My PC specs are a 6 core Phenom 2 at 3700 mhz, unlocked 6950 2gb, 8 gigs RAM. I was leaning towards PS4 at first, but if I could go lower settings on PC to get a 60fps I'd probably do that. What do you guys think?

This game (along with Wolfenstein New Order) is seriously getting me to reconsider my gaming platform.

My computer has a good cpu (i7 3770), and 12 gigs of ram. The only thing lacking is my gtx 660 (oem 192 bit) which was kinda underwhelming me before this. I'm not going to spend $600+ on a video card. At $400 the card offerings don't seem that much better that m current card. I'm thinking wouldn't getting a ps4 be better? Like others had said, if Nvidia had a decent mid range I would go with that. I could go with an AMD card but since both of these games aren't AMD friendly, there goes that idea. Plus being PC, Uplay is there to screw things up. Ugh.

R9 290s are below $400 and would blow away the 660, and you even get Mantle in titles like BF4. Seems like a great choice to me.

nbthedude

Getting this to. I think their servers are down. Just tried to get on the website and it didn't load...
This people is why double DRM is garbage.

uplay broke gaming.

You mean Snipping Tool.

Offline works. If Uplay doesn't crash before.

Uplay is single-handedly destroying PC gaming

yep. since the last login... ill get this error too.

Possibly.... a uplay sucks thread?

It's happening round the world.

Just happened to me a bit ago and now I'm stuck at "Logging in..."

No, servers are fucked. Use printscreen...

I am pissed since I was waiting all day to play this and now what...

Thanks guys. At least it's not just my buddy (who I was trying to help out).

Hopefully they get it fixed soon. He just went back to Dark Souls 2 in the meantime. :)

Just a quick A - B comparison.
Either my browser isn't displaying the second image properly or they've cocked that up. The downsampled shot looks awful, with exaggerated contrast, crushed blacks and gradient banding in the sky.

[edit] just looked at the original, which doesn't have that problem... so I guess it was caused by the resizing. :/

Dr Dogg

Either my browser isn't displaying the second image properly or they've cocked that up. The downsampled shot looks awful, with exaggerated contrast, crushed blacks and gradient banding in the sky.

Nah I think that's going to be at my end seeing as it's been ages since I've used Afterburner so being a muppet probably have some hideous original pics come out.

R9 290s are below $400 and would blow away the 660, and you even get Mantle in titles like BF4. Seems like a great choice to me.

You are right. I was referring to Nvidia's cards like the gtx 770 If it wasn't for wanting to play these two games asap, I would do this. However both have issues with AMD.

Also if i was to get a 290x, I would be looking at a new case. :\

Is this some kind of meta reference, or is it serious?
Because unfortunately, server issues on day 1 are pretty normal occurence.

Not really serious. I've gotten used to Uplay now. I don't fetish Steam either. It is just annoying that we are having these server issues is all. You'd think knowing that they supposedly have the biggest pre-orders ever for a new ip that they would have prepared for this.

Not really serious. I've gotten used to Uplay now. I don't fetish Steam either. It is just annoying that we are having these server issues is all. You'd think knowing that they supposedly have the biggest pre-orders ever for a new ip that they would have prepared for this.

Uplay has been sluggish for awhile. I was replaying Diver SF the past few weeks and noticed that Uplay was not responsive and sluggish when it was.

bastian

Banned
3GB of VRAM on my 780 Ti and a 3930k is enough for me to play this game at all max/Ultra settings, at 1080p, and Temporal SMAA.

MSI Afterburner reads as showing I have 3072GB of VRAM, and game never goes over that, usually hovers between 2800-3020.

rashbeep

Banned
Have the game on PS4 already but whats the word on:

680gtx
3820 i7
16gb ram

My guess would be high textures, mix of ultra/high everything else, decent AA, 30fps + @ 1080p?

I want to double dip but need to make sure its decent.

I have a worse PC than you and I'm pretty much getting all of that at 1440p. You'll be fine.

Denton

Yeah. Personally I do not really care all that much where the game is, be it uplay,steam, gog, gamersgate, gmg..as long as the price is right and the game works and is legit.
It would be great if issues like this could be avoided, but I am not sure how feasible it is. Companies just always, always over estimate their servers. Even Valve used to have shitloads of server issues in the past, although I suppose they scaled to such a level that it does not happen anymore (I do not even remember last time Steam did not work for me).

Durante

Why are the majority of peeps choosing temporal SMAA? Is this like a herd mentality? I don't get it, even on most bench-marking sites, this is what they choose to go along their ultra settings, can someone enlighten me why this is? Even this morning Kotaku had their benchmark article posted and this is their only setting for AA...
Why not? It's much better than pure post-processing methods while requiring almost no extra performance.

PFD

I would recommend you don't even bother. The Core 2 series hasn't been enough for graphically intense games for a very long time.
I'm planning to upgrade later this year when the Haswell refresh comes out. But my Q6700 has been doing alright, it's really not that bad.

The reason, I assume, is the 660Ti is in the awkward position of a 192-bit memory bus with an odd number using current-sized RAM chips. The card can only use up to 1.5 GB of those 2 GB (not due to bus transfer limitations, but uneven distribution of memory chips per each 64-bit memory controller; two have 512MBs each to manage, the third has 512 MBs plus another 512 MBs) at full bandwidth. It can access the additional 512 MBs if it absolutely needs to, but that cuts bandwidth by 3 and so in many games, it will only use up to 1.5 GBs consistently. It's another way Nvidia messed up VRAM configurations for the Kepler generation.

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming it. I have a pretty good overclock on the memory which in return gives me a very good increase in memory bandwidth overall, and on this game an actual 10% performance increase, but I think only using 1.5GB might be screwing with the game, it doesn't seem like it is, and I have textures on High, but it clearly could use those remaining 512MB without being bottlenecked...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Specs:

• i7-4700MQ
  • GTX 780M 4GB
  • 12GB 1600MHz RAM
  • Crucial M500 960GB SSD
  • 1080p

Settings:

• Textures: Ultra
  • TXAA 2x
  • LOD: Ultra
  • Shadows: High
  • Reflections: High
  • HBAO+ Low
  • Motion Blur: On
  • DoF: On
  • Water: High
  • Shader: High

Game stays around 45-55fps, with dips int the 30s if I'm crashing cars.

Out to sea currently and wondering what kind of performance should I expect for this game on my Y510P. i7 4700MQ, 8GB ram and SLI 750M's.

Seeing as I've went laptop gaming, I was wondering how well what I have will run the game before buying it.

(I replaced my old laptop because the internal motherboard fried itself.)

i7-4700HQ
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760M (2GB)

(Assume that I'll be making use of the 30 FPS lock.)

You can both mix medium and high settings at 1080p.

Deepo

Specs:

i5 3570K @ 4.4Ghz
32GB 2400Mhz DDR3 Ram
GTX 690 +100 boost clock
Windows 8.1
SSD (Tried with Ramdisk as well)

Game hovers around 60 FPS when I turn down LoD and Shadows to High, the rest on max. Textures on High.

But man, this stuttering. Goes away on low settings and medium textures, but ain't nobody got time for that. Tried locking the game to 30 FPS, but the stuttering has no relation to FPS, happens here as well. I think I'll buy this on PS4 as well unless they fix this. Had a look at this video on DF, and maaaaan, that's some smooth 30 FPS.

jimmypop

Banned
Summary:

• My SLI 780Tis are hurting at 1440p, and it's got nothing to to with VRAM usage;
  • 3GB isn't enough for the next few years, it seems. I hope the 6GB 780Tis become a reality;
  • uPlay continues to be garbage.

Timu

Why are the majority of peeps choosing temporal SMAA? Is this like a herd mentality? I don't get it, even on most bench-marking sites, this is what they choose to go along their ultra settings, can someone enlighten me why this is? Even this morning Kotaku had their benchmark article posted and this is their only setting for AA...

http://kotaku.com/watch-dogs-benchmarked-how-does-your-pc-stack-up-1581917595

Why-Meme.png
MSAA and TXAA take up all your VRAM so Temp SMAA is the best to use.

Netboi

Banned
Summary:

• My SLI 780Tis are hurting at 1440p, and it's got nothing to to with VRAM usage;
  • 3GB isn't enough for the next few years, it seems. I hope the 6GB 780Tis become a reality;
  • uPlay continues to be garbage.

Ya the higher the resolution the more VRAM you need especially for open world games. Better off sticking with 1080p and 144hz :D.

Specs:

i5 3570K @ 4.4Ghz
32GB 2400Mhz DDR3 Ram
GTX 690 +100 boost clock
Windows 8.1
SSD (Tried with Ramdisk as well)

Game hovers around 60 FPS when I turn down LoD and Shadows to High, the rest on max. Textures on High.

But man, this stuttering. Goes away on low settings and medium textures, but ain't nobody got time for that. Tried locking the game to 30 FPS, but the stuttering has no relation to FPS, happens here as well. I think I'll buy this on PS4 as well unless they fix this. Had a look at this video on DF, and maaaaan, that's some smooth 30 FPS.

Ugh, this is basically my setup :( What AA setting are you running?

Top Bottom