• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WayForward To The Handheld Future: Shantae’s Creators Talk GBA, PSP, DS, and Beyond

Shantae was one of the last games ever released in North America for the Game Boy Color, and critically well-received, but WayForward has had a difficult time getting funding for a sequel. Now, once again, the company finds itself at a hardware crossroads. Matt continues: “[The reasons for the next Shantae game not yet finding a publisher] are not exactly the same. I think that the second title is a little more proven - there's an interest in it. So it's not a complete risk, but at the same time I think we're in a really funny situation, because we have one title out there that people really like, and there's almost a hesitation to do it until [publishers] can do it on multiple SKUs. Like, if they want to do it, now they want to do it on everything. It's almost like it gets more difficult to release a single game on a single platform. That's the impression I get, anyway. Almost like it needs to grow, or it'll be stuck in obscurity.”
“As long as places like DS and PSP are accepting to some of the work we've already done, I don't see why it couldn't come out on one of those systems. Especially the DS, I mean, the DS is similar enough to the GBA that the game could pretty much be directly put on it, but it's that old enemy of 'I don't just want to put something on the second screen.' We have a solid plan to kind of tear it up and build a new foundation of gameplay underneath it that incorporates the two screens, so it'd be worth playing and people would feel that it was intended for the system. And so we'll just have to see what happens with DS development in the next few months.”

While WayForward is excited about the new DS technology, they are wary of the longevity of the system. Matt argues: “I definitely like what it represents. There are things about it that I wonder if developers are going to understand how to properly use. I get the impression a lot of times that – I think Nintendo had an inspiration, and I'm not sure if everybody really understands how to carry that.
In Matt’s mind, the DS may be more friendly to a 2D gaming aesthetic, especially with its digital and touch-screen interfaces. Matt argues: “As far as this stuff goes, one of the things I like about DS is that it's not so far from GBA. It welcomes 2D gaming, and it also welcomes 2D game concepts in 3D space. I think that a lot of times people have difficulty limiting themselves, because if they're on PS2 and they can move through all that space, it's hard to pull back and restrain yourself and say, even if it's a fully 3D game, we're going to confine our gameplay to moving on two planes. For instance, older games have significant advantages over newer games in elements like high and low attacks - a character that can simply attack high or attack low. That kind of thing isn't done a lot in newer titles, because if the game is fully 3D, you can't deal in things that are as abstract concepts as "Let's attack from the side, because we can have a nice clean view." These elements are small nuances of gameplay that you relied heavily on before. But now, with a lot of the 3D games, all of the movements are very broad, or you're attacking in hemispheres. You get large attack spaces, and it becomes more clunky and less precise.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20041117/sheffield_01.shtml

The usual login info is at bugmenot.com for those who don't want to register.

High res Shantae for PSP, plz! @_@

I think Matt will still to Nintendo just because of the demographics though. I don't blame him, if they could get Nintendo to embrace Shantae as a new key franchise; they could certainly be on to something big.

Top Bottom