• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WCW was sold 20 years ago today.

theclaw135

Banned
How sad. I loved WWF, and we all know they weren't the same after the sale.

A sample of news coverage from the era.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wwf-swallows-wcw/

World Wrestling Federation Entertainment Inc. Friday said it bought World Championship Wresting (WCW) from AOL Time Warner Inc.'s Turner Broadcasting Systems, consolidating the homes of "The Rock" and Hulk Hogan under one umbrella.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but analysts had estimated that WCW lost about $80 million last year.

The purchase comes after a deal between Turner Broadcasting and Fusient Media Ventures for the WCW unit struck in January fell apart, a World Wresting Federation (WWF) spokesman said.

mansoor1980

giphy.gif

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I seem to remember reading that the sale wasn't of the actual company, but the intellectual property(logos, tape libraries, etc), and select, individual talent contracts with WCW (but not Turner/Aol-Time Warner). Apparently, the actual wrestling company still exists on paper as Universal Wrestling Corporation, and is still owned by AOL-Time Warner. Or, something along those lines.

Dallas%20Cowboys.png

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I seem to remember reading that the sale wasn't of the actual company, but the intellectual property(logos, tape libraries, etc), and select, individual talent contracts with WCW (but not Turner/Aol-Time Warner). Apparently, the actual wrestling company still exists on paper as Universal Wrestling Corporation, and is still owned by AOL-Time Warner. Or, something along those lines.

Dallas%20Cowboys.png

I don't blame McMahon there. WCW was overpaying for talent past their prime, and lawsuits dragged on several years.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Yeah, WCW never made a profit. It was a loss leader for the Turner networks. Even if FX for instance had signed them, they changed there programming focus a couple of years later and would have dropped it, like TNT.

Soodanim

As I understand it, WCW wasn’t the same before it was sold, either. The top guys ran it for themselves and the lower tier guys had to make it work for themselves in the Cruiserweight division with only a little bit of help. The company was dead on its feet before Vince got his wallet out.

CherryFalls

Banned
Currently going through every episode of nitro in the wwf network and I love it, such a better time. I'll start on raw once I'm done.

For people who adored the attitude era and want some insight, it's worth watching the interview with the person who wrote the storylines

Last edited by a moderator:

Troglodyte

Banned
WCW was amazing back in the day. Unfortunately they didn't know what they were doing once the NWO gained momentum. Having various branches of the NWO and Hogan having FULL creative control of his character unbearable.

They had the hottest product going at the time and wanted so badly to bury WWF that they gave all these WWF guys ironclad contracts that made them untouchable.

I could only imagine what the outcome would have been if they built their promotion around EVERYONE instead of just their main draws and had someone who wasn't a disaster in creative. The cruiserweight division and midcard was the best thing about that company.

ECW was also way ahead of its time. I always reference ECW to a hardcore NXT. RVD/Lynn are some of my favorite matches of all time.

While I don't watch much wrestling anymore me and my Xbox buddies watch the PPVs and it's just crazy how shit it is compared to the past.

DKehoe

In 1998 WCW made $30 million in profit. In 2000 they made a loss of $62.3 million. A spectacularly mismanaged company.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
WCW had the greatest storyline of all time with the wrestling coup and the outsiders and their use of Hulk Hogan being the man behind the scenes was brilliant.

AEW kicked off with some killer storylines when it started up too.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
For me wcw didn’t make sense wwe had Michaels, stone cold etc. and made more sense to watch Hollywood hulk hogan wanted out of wwe to do his thing but it was still second to raw & smack down.

ManaByte

Halloween Havoc 1998 was the start of the death kneel. Running a 3 1/2 hour PPV in a 3 hour window was stupid.

StormCell

In 1998 WCW made $30 million in profit. In 2000 they made a loss of $62.3 million. A spectacularly mismanaged company.
It's also no small coincidence that AOL bought Time-Warner/Ted Turner's empire in 2000. A lot of Turner-owned stuff suddenly went sideways that year.

tpyX8iK.jpg

I would highly recommend The Death Of WCW by Bayan Alvarez and R D Reynolds. A really fantastic read that covers everything to do with the company.

That's a very entertaining book but it does have a lot of sketchy stuff due to Meltzer hearsay.

Nitro by Guy Evans is also definitely one to read and goes into much more detail on various subjects, the behind the scenes at Turner and the Time Warner merger fiasco.

NgTe3kl.jpg

Soltype

WCW at his peak was unbeatable, the NWO line made such a great dynamic in the company as a whole. Nobody knew who to trust, they even had a referee working for NWO, and that made another whole dynamic.

Last edited:

God Enel

Loved wcw back in the day. Was watching it religiously every Friday/Saturday when they showed it late at night on German tv.

Can anyone explain in ahortto me why they went downhill?

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
I haven't kept up with wrestling in like 20 years. Very out of the loop. I still go back and watch cruiserweight matches from the 90s with Ultimo Dragon, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, etc. Some of the best matches ever.

Arkam

I loved me some Pro Wrestling in the 80s and (most of) the 90's. It is the reason I fell so madly in love with Pride Fight Championships in the early 200s. It was so similar to pro wrestling in its tropes, stereotypes and presentation.... but it was real fighting.

With Pride dead and gone and only the (much less "colorful") MMA orgs left I think there is a possible opportunity for a new Catch Wrestling org to go mainstream. WWF/WCW.... but real wrestling.

For those who want some good watching, 'Reliving the War' by Wrestling Bios on Youtube has been my jam for months. I highly recommend it. But i'd definately go back 6 episodes or so and start from there. Why? 1 word: Glacier. Jesus Christ, the creator had me rolling last week at the culmination of 'Glacier Month". Highly recommend it.

I was really little so I don't remember much of the war as it was happening in real time. But I did catch up when I had the WWE Network (seriously, I spent too much time on there when I had it). I really enjoyed what I saw. Especially seeing people that have still been around in the past 10 years at an earlier point in their career. I do kind of see AEW (which I LOVE) as kind of a 1997-1998 WCW. Firing on all cylinders and just engaging to watch. I really loved NXT until it moved to the USA Network.

I guess I get most of my wrestling fix these days from videogames and AEW. So many people on that roster i'm a big fan of. Like my boy Luchasaraus. Or the Instant Classic Christian Cage. So jacked to see him again. I was at Elimination Chamber 2014 and he was so good in that match. I didn't know at the time that it would be his last PPV match (I think) until the Royal Rumble this year. And he's the only reason i'm interested in actually checking it out atm. Loved him in TNA too. (Sorry, gushed a bit. Just, huge fan).

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Vincent bought it to asset strip it and lock the IP away before anyone else could come in for it.

Closest WWE had to a rival, last credible rival they had ...... and it’s been to their detriment not to have one.

Vincent bought it to asset strip it and lock the IP away before anyone else could come in for it.

Closest WWE had to a rival, last credible rival they had ...... and it’s been to their detriment not to have one.

Yeah in 1998/1999 I was definitely choosing to watch WCW over WWE ... some amazing shit.

I just watched that episode this week.

My son and I started at WM1 and are currently in July 1997.

How did Hogan get only his beard stubble that color?

Also, has anyone gone from babyface to heel before in such a convincing turn?? He was HUGE as Hulkster Brother. Then almost equally hated as Hollywood Hogan.

Kagey K

Banned
How did Hogan get only his beard stubble that color?

Also, has anyone gone from babyface to heel before in such a convincing turn?? He was HUGE as Hulkster Brother. Then almost equally hated as Hollywood Hogan.
I’m pretty sure he dyed it, some episodes it’s darker than others, also sometimes the yellow stash is shaved off and everything is dyed.

I don’t think anyone else turning heel has had nearly as big of an impact as Hogan. Vince wanted to turn him heel in WWF but he refused to do it. He actually started flirting with turning heel in 1995 when he was taking on the Dumgeon of Doom.

The crowds were booing him most episodes and he started wearing black and talking about being a darker Hogan, but didn’t fully commit to it, so it only lasted a couple months.

When Rock turned heel at Survivor Series 1998 and joined the Corporation he got a lot of heat and while it was a successful turn it didn’t last, but the heat was hot while he had it.

dave_d

Halloween Havoc 1998 was the start of the death kneel. Running a 3 1/2 hour PPV in a 3 hour window was stupid.
For me Starcade 97 was the start. Messed up Sting finally taking down the NWO and messed up Bret coming in too. Goldberg kept them going through 98 but as far as I was concerned Starcade was the first time you knew they had issues.

truth777

Banned
Starrcade 97’ should’ve ended like the invasion started, but with key WCW members showing up instead to attack like the NWO did at the beginning. It was so surreal to see the NWO originally attacking wrestlers in the back; the fans needed to see an equal reaction from WCW here.

Have Hogan vs Sting, but book it in a steel cage @ Starrcade. Show Hogan the Monday before talking to nwo members about doing “whatever is necessary.” Hogan, nervous about the match, talks about how “there is a time for celebration and a time to cut throats. The NWO has to be a well-oiled machine going into Starrcade...no exceptions brother!” Have them then beat up and throw out Scott Norton at the end of the promo. Have several one-off interviews on Nitro and Thunder with WCW members on their opinions about the upcoming match. Somewhere in those, have Hacksaw Duggan make a cryptic mention about “WCW needs to stick together and follow a plan.”

During the Hogan Vs Sting match, have Nash, Buff, etc come down with bolt cutters to get into the cage. Just as they get mid-way to the ring have Hogan’s smile go to confusion. Camera pans back to Norton standing between them and the ring. Nash winds up to throw a punch and suddenly the Giant’s hand is over his throat. The Giant chokeslams him to the ground with Norton and Rey Mysterio stomping Nash as payback for the “lawn dart” maneuver.

Buff, now turned and walking towards them, is surprised as DDP jumps out of the crowd with a diamond cutter. Scotty Riggs is shown high fiving Page.

Schiavone chimes in with “I’m hearing we need to go to the back!” (Picture in Picture) Camera cuts to the back where Luger has Hall in the torture rack as several WCW wrestlers are cheering him on.

Konnan and Stevie Ray are also laid out on the ground getting stomped by the Four Horsemen. Flair, has the “crazy eyes” going and obviously has been going hard. Larry Zybysko chimes in with “Look at Flair’s eyes Tony! He’s ready for the fight of his life!”

Macho Man, Virgil, and Syxx are all headed out to the ring when they turn the corner to find Piper, Goldberg, Flair and several others blocking the entrance. Macho dives in and is immediately speared by Goldberg.

Syxx and Virgil scamper off past Scott Steiner who also turns the corner...

He finds a destroyed Macho Man and a dozen WCW guys standing over. Camera shows Rick Steiner amongst the WCW crew pointing his finger at the exit sign.

Outnumbered, Scott walks backward out the exit.

As Hogan shows a look of hopelessness, WCW wrestlers flood the entrance and make their way down to surround the ring as Hogan gets Stinger Splashed. Sting puts Hogan in the Scorpion Death Lock and Hogan is positioned towards the big screen at the entrance. As he arches upward in pain, he notices live feed of the backstage area on the screen to see Scott Steiner, Syxx, Virgil, and Jeff Jarrett hastily getting into a limo and leaving the arena.

Hogan closes his eyes in unbelieving defeat as he taps.

The bell rings and WCW wrestlers climb the cage into the ring. Celebration by all involved as Sting is hoisted up.

As the PPV is winding down, Mike Tenay interjects “The NWO may have won a battle but WCW has won the war.”

Tony Schiavone interjects that “This IS the greatest night in the history of our sport!”

. . .

Following Starrcade, a major storyline will be the fallout of the NWO.

The next night on Nitro:

DDP becomes a vigilante after cutting a promo about “flipping the tables.” NWO used to attack us; whenever they wanted and however they wanted. NOW...NOW I see a different story. I see a pack of rats running and I’m gonna take full advantage of the situation.” DDP begins to do random run-ins where he surprises NWO members w/ a Diamond Cutter. Virgil develops “DDP Paranoia” and is cautious at all times. DDP basically becomes Batman.

Scott Steiner decides that Hogan is unfit to lead the NWO and he politics among the remaining members while calling out Hogan during in-ring promos. Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Jeff Jarrett, Syxx, Hall, and Nash are the remaining members. Scott Steiner’s attempt to rule is absolute chaos and further splinters the group with infighting.

Hogan disappears after the loss at Starrcade and many are left wondering “Where is Hollywood Hogan?” This is played up for several months. Steiner, to agitate, could wear a shirt showing Hogan’s face on a milk carton. “Have you seen me?” on the back.

Stevie Ray is shown struggling to regain Booker T’s trust. This creates an angle where Stevie acknowledges the difficulty of forgiveness and realizes they probably can’t function as a tag team anymore. “I miss the Heat” Stevie pines in promos.

Sting returns to a more colorful look and having vanquished Hogan’s reign, symbolically burns his black and white gear during a promo. He has his moment on Nitro as the new champ. Goldberg appears to challenge noting that “Where there is smoke, there is fire. How much of you is fire Sting? How much is smoke?”

Macho Man is completely oblivious to the implosion of the NWO and continues to carry on like normal...even to the point of annoying the other members with his optimism. This often finds him mugging in front of others doing the hand gestures and repeating “4-Life” at every opportunity.

Bischoff, after having been put to sleep by Zybysko at Starrcade, is now embarrassed to be with the NWO and gives full effort into being impartial to WCW decisions going foreword. This sees him actively avoiding even talking to NWO members. He is constantly ignoring calls, locking his office door, and opts to drive himself instead of taking an NWO limo. The NWO is now a hindrance to his existence in WCW and is treated as such.

Amidst all the changing storylines, Bret Hart surprise debuts and states how proud he is of Sting. How they both have had their problems with corruption; with slime. Hart admits, it’s going to be hard to trust anyone going forward. But, he guarantees one thing; “I know right from wrong. “

The finish to the main event at Nitro finds Kevin Nash arriving injured with a baseball bat and to intervene in Steiner’s match. Nash is blindsided by Bret Hart before he makes it to the ring. Hart knocks Nash to the ground. Nash, is obviously out of it as Hart grabs the mic. Echoing Nash’s words from the beginning of the invasion, Hart stares a lost Nash down. “The measuring stick just changed around here...and you’re looking at it!” Hart drops the mic and walks out the entrance ramp as the camera cuts back to a stunned Schiavone, Tenay, and Zybysko. Nitro goes off in silence.

dorkimoe

Wcw and the attitude era raw were the greatest tv I’ll ever see. And now peacock is removing episodes from attitude area cuz they are offensive. Smh

Its weird when you think about it, ECW wrestlers made a better impact then the WCW purchase.
ECW has house shows and pre-RAW taping, own events.
WCW had 90% turds and a year of big events.

I dont think you can blame the wrestlers, many were talented, just they were never likeable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom