• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Can Almost Print New Organs Using 3D Stem Cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
File this under unexpectedly cool: organs you don’t harvest, but instead print using an honest-to-goodness printer, just as you might words on paper, except in this case, the “words” are actual stem cells that could save someone’s life.

Let’s talk about 3D printers for a moment: high-tech contraptions that let you craft three-dimensional objects with a computer aided design program, then render them in the real world as instantly usable objects with, say, a little powder and some binding material. We’ve used such devices to make everything from jewelry and full-color models of human faces to smartphone cases and battery-powered motors. Scan an existing physical object like a crescent wrench into a computer and a 3D printer can completely replicate it just a short while later, no assembly required, right down to the adjustable jaws and cylindrical track.

Now imagine a device that could print new organs on demand using cells in lieu of ink (call it “bio-ink,” because the scientists do). It’s part of a process known as biofabrication: assembling the essential cellular building blocks of organs using the mechanical exactness of computer-driven, three-dimensional printing technology.

Say you need a new trachea, a part of the body we’ve already managed to replicate using stem cells and successfully transplant to a human with late-stage tracheal cancer (I’m not making that up or exaggerating). With a 3D printer and a bunch of stem cell-saturated bio-ink, you might be able to just print that trachea on demand thanks to a new technique that lets you pass human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) through a printer nozzle without destroying them.

A team of researchers from Scotland announced Monday that they’d finally managed to get an inkjet-style printer to craft an organic 3D object. Not an actual organ (well, not yet), but these scientists claim they’ve been able to clear a crucial hurdle: getting hESCs, prized for their ability to become cells of any tissue type, to survive the printing process.

The solution involved rejiggering the way the inkjet-style 3D printer worked, specifically the printing valve, which had to be tweaked to ever-so-gently deposit blobs of hESCs in programmable patterns without compromising the viability and functionality of the cells themselves. The researchers figured out how to do this using two types of bio-inks as well as allow for independent control of the amount in each droplet (with considerable control granularity — down to less than five cells per droplet). The results of the experiment were just published in the bio-science print and online journal Biofabrication.

“We are able to print millions of cells within minutes,” said paper co-author Will Shu of the Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, reports Agence France-Presse. Shu adds that the printer is comparable in size to a garden variety desktop laser printer.

It’s not like we haven’t printed cells before — we’ve been able to print stuff as crazy-sounding as DNA for years. But getting hESCs through a 3D printer nozzle successfully using a method that allows how they emerge and in what amounts to be controlled precisely without compromising their viability and rendering them as 3D objects — that’s crazy-cool future science. And though it’ll be some time before we’re printing stuff like human tracheas, to say nothing of organs that require complex networks of blood vessels to sustain the tissue, we’re a momentous step closer after this breakthrough.

What’s more, the immediate benefits extend well beyond human organ genesis: Next up, Shu and team intend to print 3D liver tissue, which Shu hopes could eliminate the use of non-human animals in laboratory drug tests.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/02/05/we-can-almost-print-new-organs-using-3d-stem-cells/#ixzz2K6S692fG

Curtosy of Air:
[–]urdude 390 points 13 hours ago
The title should say, "Scientists 3D Prints with Human Embryonic Stem Cells."

Science blows my mind sometimes, I remember printing on an old-school 80's printer and waiting for minutes to get a single page of black and white text to come out of it. Wow.

Video: http://news.sky.com/story/1047575/3d-printing-advances-stem-cell-research

antonz

Surprised they aren't looking at the skin cell transformation procedure as the source. It allows complete personalization as the cells come directly from the host and makes rejection practically impossible.

Though the procedure itself is still relatively new.

shira

tl;dr, scientists have mentioned to use a 3D printer to create artificial stem cells, which when perfected would absolve the need of retreiving them from human (fetuses) and could one day make donor-organs obsolete.

Science blows my mind some day, I remember printing on an old-school 80's printer and waiting for minutes to get a single page of black and white text to come out of it. Wow.

Video: http://news.sky.com/story/1047575/3d-printing-advances-stem-cell-research

Do not want.
You give people the idea they can live forever they just going to go nuts.
Saw it too many times with the stomach stapling - oh I'm thin now - time to eat more.

They can print livers - I'm gonna drink twice as much now.
They can print lungs - fuck that I'm going to smoke cigarettes and cigars

Do not want.
Saw it too many times with the stomach stapling - oh I'm thin now - time to eat more.

This is a joke right?

SCIENCE!

Do not want.

qLBRxc5.gif

Air

Banned
Cool. Also another way to describe it as seen on /r science so some don't get confused:

[–]urdude 390 points 13 hours ago
The title should say, "Scientists 3D Prints with Human Embryonic Stem Cells."

CPS2

tl;dr, scientists have managed to create a 3D printer that is used to create artificial stem cells, which when perfected would absolve the need of retreiving them from human (fetuses) and could one day make donor-organs obsolete.

Science blows my mind sometimes, I remember printing on an old-school 80's printer and waiting for minutes to get a single page of black and white text to come out of it. Wow.

Where did it say that?

Do not want.

Although i see your point, the benefits FAR outweigh stuff like this. This is amazing.

Nah man. People can be stupid.

Path of least resistance everytime

Who cares though? So what if someones going to smoke their lungs away and then just get a new pair? Should kids live without their parents because you don't want them clogging their arteries and then getting a new heart?

It'd be great if people who are ADDICTED to drugs didn't have to die because of inadequate rehabilitation methods IE treating drug abuse as a criminal issue not a medical one.

And I thought growing human appendages on mice was cool. Considering there's about a 10 year waiting list for a heart transplant among other vital organs, this could save a lot of lives in the future. Has the Obama administration boosted stem cell research funding? I know funds were rather limited under Bush.

Blearth

Banned
Do not want.

So?

Do not want.

I'm surprised you aren't in favor of it. Lets men print breasts to breastfeed.

hteng

Banned
Do not want.

what the fuck, you think this won't benefit people that are actually being inflicted with a decease which aren't result of their choices?

bonercop

Damn, combined with that recent mass-produced artificial blood, I can't help but think we're going to see much longer life expectancy in the coming generations. SCIENCE, MOTHERFUCKERS!

now fix climate change and make me immortal plz

shira

what the fuck, you think this won't benefit people that are actually being inflicted with a decease which aren't result of their choices?
No. I think that cheating death is not going to work well.

But as it stands half of Americans are going to get type 2 diabetes. Are we just going to replace all their pancreas functions with organ replacement. Where is the cutoff going to be with medicine and organ printing.

Are drug companies just going to stand down and lose billions of dollars.

It is a very slippery slope. I thought a friend of mine doing his phd in bioethics was odd, but those guys are going to be writing a lot of laws concerning cloning and printing protocols.

I know it sounds neat to imagine there is a 3D printer in the ER and we could save a 5 year old after a car crash - but I don't imagine it will be that simple. How do we know how many organs to replace - When does it become actual cloning.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok, let's say this works. then they can 100% perfectly image and replicate the exact physical structure of my brain.... what the hell happens if they just switch it out?

I know it sounds neat to imagine there is a 3D printer in the ER and we could save a 5 year old after a car crash - but I don't imagine it will be that simple. How do we know how many organs to replace - When does it become actual cloning.

who gives a shit, let's just max out with tech.

Aiii

So not worth it
ok, let's say this works. then they can 100% perfectly image and replicate the exact physical structure of my brain.... what the hell happens if they just switch it out?

From what I understand from all that hocus-pocus brain science: it should be pretty much like doing a clean install on your computer. You start with the same base parameters, but you will not end up with the exact same machine as before, since you will install different programs, etc.

It will probably have the same defects and virtues the computer had when you bought it, but it will never be an exact copy of what it ended up like just before your fresh install.

bonercop

You'll die, but no one will notice. I assume your brain cells get perfectly copied as well, so this new clone-you will take over without even realizing.

....though I suppose the argument could be made that this already happens.

moojito

I like reading science threads here, since the optimism and "yeah, science!" lasts longer. Go to r/science and the awesome thread titles are debunked by the annoyingly logical first reply every damn time.

Aiii

So not worth it
I like reading science threads here, since the optimism and "yeah, science!" lasts longer. Go to r/science and the awesome thread titles are debunked by the annoyingly logical first reply every damn time.

My artificial 3D printed heart bleeds for logical people.

Zaptruder

Banned
You can actually print organs that exceed biological limitations.

Normally genes express the shape and size of the organ; but with printed materials, you can construct organs of any shape and size, with the genetic cellular material simply been the filler for the scaffolding.

So you can use genes that have some sort of genetic susceptibility; ones that form holes in the heart or some such... and then print a perfect heart with the compromised genetic material.

Or you can print longer bones than could naturally emerge.

Maybe you could even culture new fat cells without lipids... pump out all the lipid filled fat cells and refill yourself with normal fat cells.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Not a medical journal or anything, but Esquire did a fascinating article on a similar topic, with regrowth of human tissue using biologic substances (not embryonic stem cells) that are already being used to regenerate chronic, non-healing wounds. My current preceptor on clinical rotations is one of the physicians who pioneered this stuff.

http://www.esquire.com/features/esquire-100/pigfinger1007

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Sign me up for a kidney. Transplant waiting times are shit and dialysis is no way to live.

Aiii

So not worth it
Finally! More penis enlargement at the palm of my hands! Time to go rich!

I wonder how many clients you'll lose at the take-in interview when you explain to them that for a starter you'd have to amputate their current material.

trinest

I'll have some new eyes, heart, liver maybe. You know what sign me up for a complete body rebuild. Also some liposuction.

I wonder how many clients you'll lose at the take-in interview when you explain to them that for a starter you'd have to amputate their current material.

I wonder if you could use this technology to create sexual organs of the opposite sex for easy sex changes.

Aiii

So not worth it
I wonder if you could use this technology to create sexual organs of the opposite sex for easy sex changes.

Wouldn't that be amazing? Still, there's the whole internal plumbing that still needs to be redone. But they do that now as well.

How long will this organs function?

Until you die I'd imagine. Hypothetically speaking, they'd just be normal organs, only with different origins from the one that develop in the womb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom