• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We were meant to have T-800's by now - I am disappoint

willothedog

Jensens working on it.

Laptop Jensen GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

E-Cat

Oh, we will get there very fast. <5 years.

Robotics right now is where Large Language Models were in 2018-2019. Probably within a year it will have its "GPT-3 moment" -- it's all about data, data, data. From there, robotics will be on the same exponential curve as LLMs.

Speaking of which, something like GPT-4 was trained on 2022 amounts of compute (~10,000 NVIDIA Ampere A100s). The public hasn't even seen the compute capabilities of 2023, let alone the fact that between now and the end of 2025, the effective amount of compute at the big companies will grow literally 100-fold, between buying hundreds of thousands of next-gen NVIDIA GPUs and algorithmic efficiency doubling every 9 months.

3Y1Gfxq.png

You haven't seen shit yet. Hear me now, quote me later.

Last edited:

Barakov

In the next 40 years?

Nah. I'm good. Everybody is already being pretty stupid with AI models. T-800s should be regulated to the same category as flying cars. I don't trust anybody with that technology. Especially the world's governments.

Ecotic

I'm actually really curious. Can a reasonable facsimile of the A.I. capabilities of a T-800 not be done today already?

For the sake of argument, let's say the robotic exoskeleton was totally doable. As for the CPU, I know the T-800's CPU was shown to be quite small, about the size of a smartphone's system on a chip, and we can't make something that powerful at that small of a size.

But, for an easy workaround, let's say you housed Nvidia's upcoming GB200 Superchip in the torso instead of the head. And then the world's best A.I. programmers made the T-800's firmware. Could a more or less functional terminator then not be made?

Sakura

I'm actually really curious. Can a reasonable facsimile of the A.I. capabilities of a T-800 not be done today already?

For the sake of argument, let's say the robotic exoskeleton was totally doable. As for the CPU, I know the T-800's CPU was shown to be quite small, about the size of a smartphone's system on a chip, and we can't make something that powerful at that small of a size.

But, for an easy workaround, let's say you housed Nvidia's upcoming GB200 Superchip in the torso instead of the head. And then the world's best A.I. programmers made the T-800's firmware. Could a more or less functional terminator then not be made?
I'm sure it could be made today if enough money was thrown at it.
The bigger issue would probably be powering the thing, unless you are always going to keep it tethered.

Artoris

Gold Member
I'm sure it could be made today if enough money was thrown at it.
The bigger issue would probably be powering the thing, unless you are always going to keep it tethered.
Having a small nuclear reactor to power it would be strait forward
the main think is it would be nowhere near as smart at T800 and it would be relatively easy to destroy

jason10mm

Gold Member
The T-800 is surprisingly adaptable and convincing as a human. Even if you ignore the baby sitting capabilities of Dark Fate (eye roll emoji) in T1 it was able to rent a cheap hotel room, source weapons, drive a car, anticipate locations and understand relationships between humans, fake appropriate voices, run from authorities (still not sure why it did that, coulda nailed Conner and Reese in the car, nothing the cops had should have been a threat, but maybe he wasn't 100% sure that was Sarah?), and understand a good amount of nuance in disguising itself and interacting effectively with others ("Fuck you, asshole"). If anything, later films make them dumber and less subtle.

Top Bottom