• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

Quazar

Just finished code academies html/Css. Well 97%. Took me maybe a week. I did this in between tasks at work. Not bad.

Anyone have experience with other courses on there? JavaScript etc.?

Just finished code academies html/Css. Well 97%. Took me maybe a week. I did this in between tasks at work. Not bad.

Do Sass before JS. Sass is used in production in almost every company and it will save you a lot of time.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Gonna go ahead and recommend Practical JS again.
https://watchandcode.com/courses/practical-javascript

Speaking of which if you have time gutshot, the angular course in OP is deprecated and Gordon is focused on Practical JS/premium so imo it should probably be replaced with his new course.

Hmm may have to do this since anniversary sounds like too much of a risk right now especially when I had issues installing it the first time.

grmlin

To all the Jetbrains (WebStorm, PhpStorm) users, I learned about this material-ui plugin today, and I like it a lot!

https://github.com/ChrisRM/material-theme-jetbrains

They basically flatten/theme the whole UI with it, not only the code view as in other themes.

687474703a2f2f63646e2e6869666976652e6e6f2f6d6174657269616c2d75692f7468656d652d64656661756c742e706e67

Zakalwe

Banned

I'm not sure about that site or its courses, but as a front end developer who's recently begun working with his own clients and with other developers on freelance projects, the following are all things I've had to learn to work with in varying degrees.

SASS or SCSS.
JQuery.
JavaScript.

Frameworks such as Bootstrap and Foundation and Material Design.

Wordpress for CMS integration (this is used often).

Ajax, Node.js, Angular (currently learning these).

Griegite

still a junior
Wordpress for CMS integration (this is used often).

Would you happen to know of the best resources to learn that part of what you listed? I only ask from your emphasis in your parenthesis and I already have some general knowledge of everything else listed. Well, not SASS, but I'm getting around to that soon.

Quazar

Thanks for all of the recommendations. My brain is trying to find a way to remember all the syntax but I know it doesn't fully matter, as I know that I can search for what I want when I want. But I'm trying to figure out best approach in remembering a lot. Glossary is good on code academy, so I'm printing them out.

Zakalwe

Banned
Would you happen to know of the best resources to learn that part of what you listed? I only ask from your emphasis in your parenthesis and I already have some general knowledge of everything else listed. Well, not SASS, but I'm getting around to that soon.

I learnt via a video tutorial I bought from Udemy on Wordpress theme development. It's really not difficult, just do a goolge search and find the right medium for you.

If you get stuck, PM me, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something you can learn from very easily.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So not sure what to do atm aside from reading and understanding source code in open source projects. Though I am in the process of converting the react fundamental programs project to ES6 on my own rather than paying for the next course that does just that lol. Thinking once I pick up ES6, I'll just convert my personal site into react just for fun and to improve my react even more. I'm also in the process of learning how to write tests from the watchandcode premium videos.

In the meantime I'm just trying to find any open source projects I can contribute to so I can beef up my resume. Cuz so far I'm impressing recruiters and other tech people I've talked to, I just need to have more to show them on my github to definitively prove I can code and should be hired. But damn finding open source projects I can contribute to is hard :(. Looking around repos for irc channels to join and scanning issues to see if I can find one I can actually help with. Also thus far I've made 7 open source contributions.

kodecraft

Guys, how long so you think this profession will be "hot" or in demand? Creating things digitally has always been a passion of mine and I would so it regardless of it being in demand or not.

But with all the online courses, bootcamps etc...could we start to see basic Web dev jobs listed at the $12-15 an hour mark in the job descriptions?

Much like PC repair in the 90's where it was in demand and even more so you could land the job if you were A+ certified.

It's just something I think about as the profession of web dev Seema to be getting more and more saturated.

Zakalwe

Banned
Guys, how long so you think this profession will be "hot" or in demand? Creating things digitally has always been a passion of mine and I would so it regardless of it being in demand or not.

But with all the online courses, bootcamps etc...could we start to see basic Web dev jobs listed at the $12-15 an hour mark in the job descriptions?

Much like PC repair in the 90's where it was in demand and even more so you could land the job if you were A+ certified.

It's just something I think about as the profession of web dev Seema to be getting more and more saturated.

I see hundreds of well paid job listings in London (and that's at a glance), there is plenty of room for good coders/designers/developers in the industry.

The majority of people applying for these positions are below average, if you invest in really learning your craft you will stand out and there will be work for you.

It's not drying up any time soon.

Quazar

i would think that most people who do online teachings
1. Never finish the courses
2. Are doing it for their own understanding for an idea they have
3. Most who do html/Css will drop out after hitting harder languages.

I wouldnt be worried.

jokkir

Hey guys,

I'm (still) making my portfolio website and I need inspiration. What are some of the best portfolio websites you've seen? I've been going through reddit + other websites and a lot of the sites seem very similar to each other and I want to try something differently.

Any sites that just jumped out to you?

Zakalwe

Banned
Hey guys,

I'm (still) making my portfolio website and I need inspiration. What are some of the best portfolio websites you've seen? I've been going through reddit + other websites and a lot of the sites seem very similar to each other and I want to try something differently.

Yes, mine. :p

I also like super simple ones like this.

Somnid

Yes, mine. :p

I also like super simple ones like this.

Some feedback:

-Your manifest is malformed. Check the console.
-Your site constantly drops frames while scrolling, there is no reason a site that simple should jank like that. I suspect you have heavy scroll listeners or something. You should look into it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Some feedback:

-Your site constantly drops frames while scrolling, there is no reason a site that simple should jank like that. I suspect you have heavy scroll listeners or something. You should look into it.

Will do, thanks for the tips.

Zakalwe

Banned
Some feedback:

Regarding the scroll issue. I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm using this plug-in, can anyone see any reason for the jank? It was working perfectly last time I checked.

Somnid

Regarding the scroll issue. I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm using this plug-in, can anyone see any reason for the jank? It was working perfectly last time I checked.

Hmmm...last time I checked it kept sticking and the timeline showed it dropping every other frame, this time it seems just fine. Digging in I couldn't find anything specific either.

diaspora

Christ almighty, the dev manager suggested that we explore bootstrap for the company site (I work at a big-5 Canadian bank) and I've hit a wall almost immediately. The goal was the emulate or recreate one of the pages in bootstrap but the sheer ridiculousness in the amount of information/content for the home page alone and the menu is blowing my mind. What a clusterfuck.

John_B

I have a ranking table that contains a bunch of player entries. I want to be able to configure the table to show specific colors for different ranks. I need a solution that does not require a changing of the code (css/js/php) to update the colors.

The data structure is written below. I was thinking of adding a related colors array and then on the client side somehow map the colors onto the entries.

Bad approach?

Code:
table: {
  title: 'Competition',
  entries: [
    {
      player: {
          alias: 'Ronbo'
      },
    },
    {
          alias: 'Froggy'
      },
    }
  ],
  colors: [
    { rank: 1, color: 'red' },
    { rank: 2, color: 'blue' }
  ]
}

this_guy

I have a ranking table that contains a bunch of player entries. I want to be able to configure the table to show specific colors for different ranks. I need a solution that does not require a changing of the code (css/js/php) to update the colors.

The data structure is written below. I was thinking of adding a related colors array and then on the client side somehow map the colors onto the entries.

Bad approach?

Code:
    {
      },
    },
    {
      },
    }
  ],
  ]
}

You can simplify your variable 'colors' array so you can call the array value by position:

Code:
var colors = ["red", "blue", "green"]  // colors[0] = red; colors[1] = blue; colors[2] = green;

// colors[rank-1] =  desired color

John_B

I'm storing the color configuration in a database. I have to store an some sort of comparable index (to rank) with it.

The whole idea is to be able to simply add another row in the database and then it magically applies the colors on the client side.

Bad approach?

Code:
    {
      },
    },
    {
      },
    }
  ],
  ]
}

It's not a bad idea, and finding the color by rank (or other way around) is pretty trivial. Just cycle through the colors until you find the correct one.

If you already use something like lodash, with lodash#find finding the correct one is just:

Code:
_.find(table.colors, ["rank", 2]).color // === blue

Casanova

For some reason, the Web Design/Front-End Development curriculum at my University requires that I take a class on Java along with a language called "processing".... which I think will be completely useless and I need to try and override it. What do you guys think?

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm like 97% sure that Java and/or "processing" won't be *that* helpful in my aspirations to be a designer/front-end developer and/or UX designer/researcher (I'm a dual major in behavioral research).....

It's my understanding that Java and "processing" are mostly backend high-level programming languages, and learning them in-class would be anything but an effecient use of my time; am I 100% wrong??

Hey guys,

Divi 3.0 is coming out in Sept.

this_guy

For some reason, the Web Design/Front-End Development curriculum at my University requires that I take a class on Java along with a language called "processing".... which I think will be completely useless and I need to try and override it. What do you guys think?

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm like 97% sure that Java and/or "processing" won't be *that* helpful in my aspirations to be a designer/front-end developer and/or UX designer/researcher (I'm a dual major in behavioral research).....

It's my understanding that Java and "processing" are mostly backend high-level programming languages, and learning them in-class would be anything but an effecient use of my time; am I 100% wrong??

They probably want you to learn object oriented programming, or just programming in general. The language really doesn't matter to a good developer.

Casanova

They probably want you to learn object oriented programming, or just programming in general. The language really doesn't matter to a good developer.

I mean, is that essential for me to know in my field when there are other client-side languages I could learn in place of it? It just doesn't make much sense to me when my focus is in front-end development, but I don't know :/

Do you think an entire class on it is essential knowledge for me for the front-end side of things?

this_guy

I mean, is that essential for me to know in my field when there are other client-side languages I could learn in place of it? It just doesn't make much sense to me when my focus is in front-end development, but I don't know :/

Do you think an entire class on it is essential knowledge for me for the front-end side of things?

Maybe not necessary, but learning how to program (not specifically a particular language) is important. I remember taking a cs class and using Haskell (a functional language that really isn't used in business). Just be glad you're not being forced to take a functional programming language as it'll completely throw you off. It does make you a better developer as it reaches to think differently when trying to tackle a problem.

Casanova

Maybe not necessary, but learning how to program (not specifically a particular language) is important. I remember taking a cs class and using Haskell (a functional language that really isn't used in business). Just be glad you're not being forced to take a functional programming language as it'll completely throw you off. It does make you a better developer as it reaches to think differently when trying to tackle a problem.

I already know how to code in HTML5, CSS3, and Javiscript/JQuery - and I still have to take required classes in those to graduate too. With that said, will Java and "processing" tach me anything else beneficial that these languages will not teach me?

emb

Even if it's not essential, it's not bad to get a taste for a variety of things. It's like English majors that are mad about taking math classes and vice versa; maybe it won't be directly applicable to your day to day down the road, but you should still have some concept of the ideas. If you're required to take it, I'd say it's 100% not a battle worth fighting. Instead get excited about it. You'll probably learn lessons in Java that will eventually apply to you in say, Javascript anyway.

I already know how to code in HTML5, CSS3, and Javiscript/JQuery - and I still have to take required classes in those to graduate too. With that said, will Java and "processing" tach me anything else beneficial that these languages will not teach me?
Well, during my courses for my graduate degree, I was required to take VB and C# in Visual Studio. I went into my first programming class absolutely dreading them because I did not see myself being that kind of programmer (I had no direction) and wanted to just learn about JavaScript and PHP. What I came to realize over time is even though I am not using VB or C# (thankfully) is those concepts, especially what I learned about loops and debugging, have been instrumental in helping me to perform adequately in the job I work in now, which is entirely PHP and JS based. Granted, I still wish I was a much more competent coder, even though, like you, my focus was more on UI/UX.

imBask

Banned
this is my 3rd week with my new company, and i've been working with and around ads

you don't know what the web far west looks like until you've worked with ads

Lister

Banned

You need to know object oriented development and design to be able to collaborate with other programmers in teams and when working on complex software. And to not limit yourself either. You need to understand and be able to apply software patterns to common problems.

Hell, even the front end is starting to go that way with Typescript and ES7, etc.

grmlin

You need to know object oriented development and design to be able to collaborate with other programmers in teams and when working on complex software. And to not limit yourself either. You need to understand and be able to apply software patterns to common problems.

Hell, even the front end is starting to go that way with Typescript and ES7, etc.
That has been a thing forever tbh. But front ends were less complicated back in the day so most of the developers didn't care and were fine with finest spaghetti code ;-)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
was wondering if anyone could confirm something for me. I'm doing something with Symbol type and in Edge if you try and use console.log with a Symbol it seems to fail silently.

every other browser and node that supports Symbol will log it so I assume it's Edge that's wrong but it's all new to me.

I just want to know if it's something I'm doing or if it's actually a bug so I can move on. Thanks.

Code:
console.log(Symbol());

Code:
console.log("should log", Symbol());

Code:
var x = Symbol()
console.log("should log", x);

Code:
setTimeout(() => console.log("should log", Symbol()), 1000);

chrome
OrxcEQS.png

firefox
cHESLL6.png

edge
U3GWQ90.png

Quazar

So I'm doing projects on codeacademy right now. I want to do some some side projects. What's some good projects to help cement some of this stuff?

Somnid

Just got an email from Dropbox saying they're discontinuing raw file serving. Ugh, I have about 20 tool web apps up there and use it for prototyping all the time. It's like the reason I use dropbox. Some of this is going to be much more annoying to maintain on github.

YoungFa

Just got an email from Dropbox saying they're discontinuing raw file serving. Ugh, I have about 20 tool web apps up there and use it for prototyping all the time. It's like the reason I use dropbox. Some of this is going to be much more annoying to maintain on github.
I think drive still does it though.

Calderc

So I started my web developer journey today. Watched a few videos on Udemy and just made my first page using HTML in notepad++.

It's uh...certainly gonna take some getting used to. The " ; : uses are gonna take me a while to get my head around I think. Stop laughing over there in the corner!

Casanova

So I started my web developer journey today. Watched a few videos on Udemy and just made my first page using HTML in notepad++.

It's uh...certainly gonna take some getting used to. The " ; : uses are gonna take me a while to get my head around I think. Stop laughing over there in the corner!

If you're just getting started, please check out codeacademy.com and check out some of the decent Youtubers. There are actually a ton of great resources on YouTube. Namely, look at DevTips and go to his friends and recommended channels and start from there. He's got a ton of personality and is really passionate about development/design.

Those are my suggestions!

Good luck!

take a look at freecodecamp.com . Its pretty great for beginners.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Haha, I feel completely out of my depth here. In a good way :)

I've been learning web development for about 2 years now. I have a working knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP and jQuery despite not going to university. However I still feel like a complete beginner haha.

Will the courses on code academy help me get rid of had habits I may have/help me wire "cleaner code"?

Love this community already.

Quazar

Haha, I feel completely out of my depth here. In a good way :)

I've been learning web development for about 2 years now. I have a working knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP and jQuery despite not going to university. However I still feel like a complete beginner haha.

Will the courses on code academy help me get rid of had habits I may have/help me wire "cleaner code"?

Love this community already.

Why do you feel like a complete beginner? What websites have you built?

Top Bottom