• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WEEKEND B.O. IS *IN* and SPIDER-MAN REIGNS SUPREME! Sorry Will Ferrell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Wow. $46 million for Spidey 2? Can even I, Robot stop it? I sure hope not! I think the most amazing thing is just a 47.8% drop (in these days off 55-65% drops), which is incredible for something like a frontloaded summer blockbuster hype flick.

1 1 Spider-Man 2 Sony $46,000,000 -47.8% 4,166 +14 $11,041 $257,258,000 $210 / $60 2
2 N Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy DW $28,000,000 - 3,091 - $9,058 $28,000,000 - / - 1
3 N King Arthur BV $15,155,000 - 3,086 - $4,910 $23,585,000 - / - 1
4 2 Fahrenheit 9/11 Lions $11,000,000 -32.4% 2,011 +286 $5,469 $80,090,000 $6 / $10 3
5 6 The Notebook NL $6,525,000 -12.3% 2,288 -35 $2,851 $43,071,000 $29 / $25 3
6 3 White Chicks Sony $6,500,000 -25% 2,201 -599 $2,953 $57,181,000 $37 / $30 3
7 4 DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story Fox $5,400,000 -33.5% 2,444 -509 $2,209 $97,556,000 $20 / $30 4
8 5 The Terminal DW $5,000,000 -36.5% 2,313 -469 $2,161 $65,288,000 $60 / $35 4
9 8 Shrek 2 DW $4,500,000 -22.9% 2,142 -467 $2,100 $418,567,000 $70 / $50 8
10 N Sleepover MGM $4,200,000 - 2,207 - $1,903 $4,200,000 - / - 1

Willco

Hollywood Square
XS+ said:
$250M in two weeks? WTF. It's going to beat the first movie's record.

Not only that, I was reading this article on Sony's marketing and with the licensing deals they've managed and the current box office reciepts, they've already pocketed cash.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Go Spidey Go!

Memles

Manders said:
Wow!! Go Spidey. It was better than Anchorman anyway. Anchorman deserves to bomb.

While I agree on your first comment, that it is better than Anchorman, the latter in no way deserves to bomb...besides, chances are it didn't even cost the $28 million that it made over the weekend, and it (Like Dodgeball) will likely in the end make their respective companies a ton of money.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Go Spidey, now you know what must be done. Create a web-whip and lash the crap out of Catwoman with it, then your work is done...unless you want to beat the crap out of some robots. Please do both, Spider-Man. I love you, goodbye. OXOXOXO

XS+

Banned
I said it already, but based on Spidey's incredible performance, Titanic's US BO record is very beatable. Dunno what type of movie will break the record it but it's definitely possible.

Willco said:
Wow. $46 million for Spidey 2? Can even I, Robot stop it?

Surely you jest! I, Robot is gonna bomb hard dude. None of my friends are interested in seeing it, and they are all Sci-fi dorks like me! Bomb....bomb....bomb.......

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
XS+ said:
I said it already, but based on Spidey's incredible performance, Titanic's US BO record is very beatable. Dunno what type of movie will break the record it but it's definitely possible.

spidey probably wont have the 14 year old psycho girl demo to rake in the extra viewings.

XS+ said:

I'd say so, but the international numbers will stand for quite some time

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
XS+ said:
How much would the Spidey movies have pulled in if Leo signed up to play Parker :O
Now? Not a whole ton more. Back in '97? Far too much.

This won't touch Titanic's 'record'.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Shogmaster said:
Surely you jest! I, Robot is gonna bomb hard dude. None of my friends are interested in seeing it, and they are all Sci-fi dorks like me! Bomb....bomb....bomb.......

You better be right, something in me just doesn't want that movie to do good. Maybe it was the money I wasted on Men In Black 2...and that time I saw Wild Wild West on cable...and the last 30 minutes of Bad Boys 2...

*continues droning on*

I, Robot looks like a poor man's Minority Report. I just haven't been able to shake that impressions since I saw the first trailer. And the trailer attached to Spider-Man 2 didn't change my mind either.

Alucard

Banned
sp0rsk said:
spidey probably wont have the 14 year old psycho girl demo to rake in the extra viewings.

Can these psycho girls perhaps be bested by comic book geeks and action lovers? Let's make it happen people! Do your part and see Spider-Man at least twice!

COCKLES

being watched
The girls are what are making Spiderman such a box offiec stonker. Smartest thing for Rami was to include so much romance angle in the movies - he learnt from Titanic in that respect. Which kinda sucks for those wanting more wall-to-wall action.

Shrek 2 is a monster. No wonder they already greenlit Shrek 4.

jett

D-Member
XS+ said:

Hehe, there's no way Spidey 2 is going to reach 600 million. :p

Meier

Spidey 2 will probably get past the original's amount by a tiny bit but it wont come anywhere near Shrek 2, let alone Titanic.

XS+

Banned
TO CLARIFY, it's very possible that ANOTHER big movie, other than Spiderman 2, has a chance of beating Titanic's US record.

I'm just saying Spiderman 2's success is proving Titanic's record isn't completely untouchable.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Willco said:
Not only that, I was reading this article on Sony's marketing and with the licensing deals they've managed and the current box office reciepts, they've already pocketed cash.
This is raw gross. It doesn't factor in theater shares.

---
It's going to beat the first movie's BO gross.
Probably not. The sequel had an advantage of the long weekend, but its second weekend gross is equivalent to Spider-Man's third weekend gross.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Stele said:
This is raw gross. It doesn't factor in theater shares.

Understandable, but their share is minimal the initial weeks and will probably never be larger than 35% with this kind of film. Ever.

Combined, as I already said, with their marketing partnerships and licensing, Sony has already seen coin from this production.

Dan

XS+ said:
TO CLARIFY, it's very possible that ANOTHER big movie, other than Spiderman 2, has a chance of beating Titanic's US record.

I'm just saying Spiderman 2's success is proving Titanic's record isn't completely untouchable.
Well sure, that and the simple fact that ticket prices are higher now and we're not applying inflation to Titanic's gross. When you compare films on equal terms, Titanic's record is pretty damned safe for quite some time. Only one film a decade manages to do anything nearly that amazing.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
as a former theater manager, I would be completely in shock if any theater is pulling more than 5% in any market with more than one movie theater. Not with this kind of movie..

now a small town market with only one theater will be pulling in a huge cut of the box office, because they sorta have Sony by the balls in that situation, but how much of the total gross could that really account for?

Manders

Banned
Shogmaster said:

OMG!! Your friends are a great measure of how well a movie will do!! Congrats! You must do very well on hsx.

Manders said:
OMG!! Your friends are a great measure of how well a movie will do!! Congrats! You must do very well on hsx.

Wow.... It's like a wierd internet experiment. This thread's mimicing the other thread almost exactly......

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I'm just saying Spiderman 2's success is proving Titanic's record isn't completely untouchable.<<<

First, Titanic didn't do very well in North America compared to "overseas".
Second, not only did Titanic not have a 50% dropoff its second weekend, it made MORE. That just never happens.

miyuru

Manders said:

So who the fuck are you then?

lol, I don't know anyone that wants to see I, Robot either, myself included.

XS+

Banned
TAJ said:
>>>I'm just saying Spiderman 2's success is proving Titanic's record isn't completely untouchable.<<<

First, Titanic didn't do very well in North America compared to "overseas".
Second, not only did Titanic not have a 50% dropoff its second weekend, it made MORE. That just never happens.
I'm not arguing the untouchable overseas gross.
I didn't factor in ticket prices/inflation though, so its US record is probably safer than I had first guessed.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Gregory said:
I`m more impressed and glad to see Fahrenheit 911 doing so incredibly well.

yeah, a documentary is going to hit 100 million dollars... thats very impressive..

and more importantly, hopefully it has swung a few votes away from bush (if not to Kerry).

Trevelyon

"Will Ferrell in the commercial thanks America for helping Anchorman be the number one movie in America and then off stage someone comments it wasn't them it was Spider-Man. He asks "Really? We didn't even beat him by a little bit?" He nods his head and then says "Oh, the movie hasn't even come out yet?" Then it breaks to clips and the message coming Friday."

http://www.superherohype.com/spider-man/index.php?id=1697

Has anyone seen this commercial? :p

This is gonna have a big affect on other films based on the comic book heroes. Sam Raimi has set a standard, every film thats from now on will be compared to Spider-man2.

Blade, Fantastic Four, Batman, Xmen3, Superman, Iron Man, and BlackPanther are going to need a high production value and polish that atleast matches or surpasses SP2.

Bigfoot

OG_Original Gamer said:
This is gonna have a big affect on other films based on the comic book heroes. Sam Raimi has set a standard, every film thats from now on will be compared to Spider-man2.

Blade, Fantastic Four, Batman, Xmen3, Superman, Iron Man, and BlackPanther are going to need a high production value and polish that atleast matches or surpasses SP2.
SpiderMan2 is good, but there have been other good superhero movies like Batman, Superman 1 and 2, and the X-men movies. It's not like Spiderman is a league above those other movies, it is only slightly better or comparable with them.

acklame

disney owned again :lol

and what's with white chicks grossing almost 60 millions now with no sign of dissapearing :/

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just saw Anchorman. Funny shit! Much more entertaining then Spidey IMO. Then again most things I've seen so far this year has been.....except Van Helsing.

Dan

Porthos said:
SpiderMan2 is good, but there have been other good superhero movies like Batman, Superman 1 and 2, and the X-men movies. It's not like Spiderman is a league above those other movies, it is only slightly better or comparable with them.
I'd say you could make a very solid argument that X2 actually has better production values. I certainly think so, in every respect: CGI, set design, costumes, etc. Not to mention a better plot, far superior integration of comic relief (SM2 doesn't even attempt to integrate it, the film flip flops between comic scenes and intense scenes like the surgery) and more inventive fights (Magneto's escape anyone?).

Willco

Hollywood Square
Dan said:
I'd say you could make a very solid argument that X2 actually has better production values. I certainly think so, in every respect: CGI, set design, costumes, etc. Not to mention a better plot, far superior integration of comic relief (SM2 doesn't even attempt to integrate it, the film flip flops between comic scenes and intense scenes like the surgery) and more inventive fights (Magneto's escape anyone?).

No. No. No. No. No. No. Magneto's escape is cool, but certainly not a fight. And NO.

I can't believe that dude grouped Batman in with Spiderman.

Batman is a fucking joke. XMex I can understand, because that is a well-done series so far. But Batman?

Puh-lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom