• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Box Office - Jul 26 - 28, 2024 - Alive & Howling

near

Gold Member
With Deadpool & Wolverine opening on Friday, the Marvel Cinematic Universe became the first film franchise to cross $30 Billion at the Global Box Office. It also pulled in the biggest ever opening for an R-rated feature and the sixth-highest of all time, not adjusted for inflation.

‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Marvels With $96 Million Opening Day — the Sixth-Highest of All Time

Disney and Marvel Studios‘ “Deadpool & Wolverine” clawed up a massive $96 million from 4,210 locations across Friday and preview screenings. That’s far and away the biggest domestic opening day of the year — ahead of the $62 million that “Inside Out 2” nabbed in June. Not only that, it’s also the largest ever for an R-rated feature and the sixth-highest of all time, not adjusted for inflation.

That’s an epic win for the merc with the mouth and a big bounce back for Marvel Studios, which is coming off of its worst domestic performance ever with “The Marvels” last fall. The records will continue to fall this weekend as the Ryan Reynolds–Hugh Jackman buddy comedy heads toward one of the biggest domestic debuts of all time.

Even with a massive hit arriving on the scene though, there’s still some business for the holdovers. Amblin’s “Twisters” took in $10.2 million on Friday with a projection for a $36 million haul through the disaster sequel’s sophomore outing. That’d be 56% down from opening — a significant but hardly crippling drop for a blockbuster contending against a much-hyped Marvel production. After one week in theaters, the Universal release is already the ninth-biggest domestic hit of the year. Total gross should reach about $155.6 million after its first 10 days.

Universal also gets third place with “Despicable Me 4,” which is looking at $14.5 million in its fourth outing. The Illumination animated production will overtake “Dune: Part Two” ($282 million) this weekend to become the second-highest-grossing domestic release of the year.

It will be behind Disney’s “Inside Out 2,” still pulling in significant business in its seventh weekend of release. The Pixar sequel will nab fourth place after earning $2.5 million on Friday. It will surpass “Incredibles 2” on Saturday to become the highest-grossing animated feature ever in North America.

Neon’s horror breakout “Longlegs” rounds out the top five, with rivals estimating $6.8 million and a 43% drop for the third weekend of the occult procedural thriller. Domestic total on the indie production should reach a stellar $58 million by the end of the weekend.

‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Goes Wild On Friday With $95M+, 6th-Best Opening Day At Domestic B.O., ‘A’ CinemaScore, Weekend Now At $195M-$205M – Saturday AM Update

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Marvel is back, baby. Disney is reporting a $96M first day/previews for Deadpool & Wolverine, the sixth-highest opening ever that the U.S./Canada box office has seen. The revised 3-day estimate is $195M-$205M, easily the best openings ever for filmmaker Shawn Levy (besting Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian‘s $54M), and stars Ryan Reynolds (beating Deadpool‘s $132.4M) and Hugh Jackman (ahead of 2006’s X-Men: The Last Stand‘s $102.7M).

At $195M-$205M, that will put D&W as either the eighth- or ninth-best opening at the domestic B.O. of all-time, behind Avengers: Endgame ($357.1M), Spider-Man: No Way Home ($260.1M), Avengers: Infinity War ($257.6M), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($247.9M), Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($220M), Jurassic World ($208.8M), The Avengers ($207.4M), and Black Panther ($202M).

D&W falls in line among top opening domestic B.O. days behind Avengers: Endgame ($157.4M), Spider-Man: No Way Home ($121.9M), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($119.1M), Avengers: Infinity War ($106.3M), and Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($104.6M).

Archive
Weekend Box Office - Jul 19 - 21, 2024 - The twist here is we hate Disney shills

Last edited:

Doom85

But everyone is screaming how it's dead.

Marvel right now at all the haters:

zMyRqfI.jpeg

ManaByte

Gold Member
Marvel right now at all the haters:

zMyRqfI.jpeg

Nearly half a billion in one weekend.

This is after Inside Out 2 hit a billion.

Disney wasn't the problem. Bob Cheapek was. Iger turned them around in about a year.

near

Gold Member
Yeah, Deadline just updated there article as well. It's doing some really impressive numbers for an opening.

"
SUNDAY AM EARLY: Refresh…On the heels of a killer Saturday night in Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con for Marvel, the Shawn Levy directed, produced and written Deadpool & Wolverine grossed $61.5M on Saturday per Disney for what is definitely a $205M opening weekend — just like we told you back in mid-June per Quorum. There’s bound to even be more cash. Some felt it wasn’t possible for a R-rated movie — but here we are. Global is at $438.3M.

"

Box Office Mojo seem a little slower updating there number so I'll source The Numbers moving forward. Updated OP with:

TjZEtLp.png

Last edited:
I'll admit to thinking that not just the MCU, but superhero movies in general, were dead considering the recent string of flops from Disney and WB last year.

Maybe the actual trend is just that people finally got tired of the D-list characters like Aquaman, Blue Beetle, Ant man, and the Marvels.

Last edited:
The first Aquaman movie was the highest grossing film of the DCEU……
Right it made over a billion and Aquaman 2 last year did less than half that. So at least for now, it looks like the Marvel and DC logos aren't able to automatically carry those smaller franchises to a billion dollars every time.

Because audiences knew it was the final movie for a movie universe that wasn’t getting a proper conclusion. So plenty did not feel rushed to see it.

Yeah it's not that simple considering Captain Marvel and Ant Man sequels last year also saw huge drop offs from their respective prequels.

Doom85

Yeah it's not that simple considering Captain Marvel and Ant Man sequels last year also saw huge drop offs from their respective prequels.

Those films were also generally seen as not as good as their preceding films. Also, Ant-man 3 only made 40 million less than the first Ant-man film, that particular series was never a big earner.

Meanwhile, Guardians of the Galaxy, who were VERY unknown pre-2014 (the very first trailer immediately opens with a meta joke about it), made a lot with their third movie last year.

Those films were also generally seen as not as good as their preceding films. Also, Ant-man 3 only made 40 million less than the first Ant-man film, that particular series was never a big earner.

Meanwhile, Guardians of the Galaxy, who were VERY unknown pre-2014 (the very first trailer immediately opens with a meta joke about it), made a lot with their third movie last year.

There's only so many of these movies that can come out every year, friend. Yeah, I guess if you make excuses for all of them, then everything is actually fine. The fact is the numbers say there was a general downward trend last year. Guardians was the exception.

I think Brave New World will be a good test to see if the cache that these brands have built can still carry these movies to the huge numbers of the past.

Last edited:

Doom85

There's only so many of these movies that can come out every year, friend. Yeah, I guess if you make excuses for all of them, then everything is actually fine. The fact is the numbers say there was a general downward trend last year. Guardians was the exception.

I think Brave New World will be a good test to see if the cache that these brands have built can still carry these movies to the huge numbers of the past.

Yes, 2023 wasn’t the best year (also, ”the” exception? Across the Spider-verse did quite well too)……which was following 2022 where all of Marvel’s films were a success.

And again, all those DC films of 2023, it had already been announced prior to their release that that universe was ending prematurely. How many people tune into the remaining episodes of a TV show once it’s been announced it’s been cancelled prematurely?

Excuses? Oh okay, so all my reasoning is “excuses”, but all your reasoning is “facts”. Funny, your very first post began with “maybe”, so not sure why you’re allowed to speculate but not me……

Yes, 2023 wasn’t the best year (also, ”the” exception? Across the Spider-verse did quite well too)……which was following 2022 where all of Marvel’s films were a success.

And again, all those DC films of 2023, it had already been announced prior to their release that that universe was ending prematurely. How many people tune into the remaining episodes of a TV show once it’s been announced it’s been cancelled prematurely?

Excuses? Oh okay, so all my reasoning is “excuses”, but all your reasoning is “facts”. Funny, your very first post began with “maybe”, so not sure why you’re allowed to speculate but not me……

Yeah, being an A-lister, Spider-Man isn't really what I'm talking about which is the smaller names.

Yes, it had been announced that the universe was ending, but you're making a big assumption that everybody and their grandma is following WB studio news and is staying home because of it. If there's any data or surveys at all to support that, let me know.

When I said "maybe..." It was based on the trend in the numbers, rather than me making assumptions about audience behavior that have no basis in reality. If you want to point to the quality in the movies, what about Venom from 2018 which sucked and made $800 million? What about Multiverse of madness which sucked and had some bad WoM which still almost made a billion? Do you think those movies would still pull those numbers today?

Yeah, being an A-lister, Spider-Man isn't really what I'm talking about which is the smaller names.

Yes, it had been announced that the universe was ending, but you're making a big assumption that everybody and their grandma is following WB studio news and is staying home because of it. If there's any data or surveys at all to support that, let me know.

When I said "maybe..." It was based on the trend in the numbers, rather than me making assumptions about audience behavior that have no basis in reality. If you want to point to the quality in the movies, what about Venom from 2018 which sucked and made $800 million? What about Multiverse of madness which sucked and had some bad WoM which still almost made a billion? Do you think those movies would still pull those numbers today?

Funny enough post Pandemic, there are less and less movies making over a billion. Sign that theaters are slowly dying..

jason10mm

Gold Member

Nearly half a billion in one weekend.

This is after Inside Out 2 hit a billion.

Disney wasn't the problem. Bob Cheapek was. Iger turned them around in about a year.
Eh, wouldn't take a victory lap just yet. Deadpool 3 is a celebration of what is now a done IP and inside out 2 is just a kids film WITHOUT the woke shit of the past few years. Those profits are nice but they gotta BIG hole to dig out of.

Top Bottom