• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wegmans Store Refuses to Make Cake for Ex-Muslim Group Because Their Existence is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast786

Wegmans Store Refuses to Make Cake for Ex-Muslim Group Because Their Existence is “Offensive”

To celebrate their third anniversary, the Ex-Muslims of North America recently contacted a Wegmans grocery store in Fairfax, Virginia with a simple request: They wanted to buy a cake with the group’s logo on it along with the phrase “Congratulations on 3 years!!”
1ExMuslims
They weren’t asking for a drawing of Muhammad or a statement condemning Islam. They just wanted a cake celebrating their existence.

It was too much for the store to handle:
… when the group’s staffers called to confirm the design and status of the cake, they report that a “rude bakery associate” denied the request, calling it “offensive.”
The organization’s initial attempts at getting an explanation from Wegmans were unsuccessful. Finally, an employee called the group back and explained that the cake was declined because the store did not want to advocate “one way or the other.” The worker said that the store has “a lot of employees who are Muslim,” and that “employees may not know what this stands for.”
The staffers’ ignorance shouldn’t be an excuse to reject customers who aren’t asking for anything unusual. Do the Muslim staffers also refuse to make cakes that say “Congratulations on your bar mitzvah”? What about cakes for atheist groups? Those celebrating a second marriage? Just because some people have left Islam doesn’t give Muslim employees the right to refuse service to them.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a letter to the store’s manager and the chain’s executives today:

Unlike the blatant discrimination some Christian bakeries have shown to LGTBQ Americans in the name of religious freedom, this appears to be discrimination against customers’ lack of religious belief — Wegmans essentially refused to serve a group of nonbelievers. This raises serious concerns under federal, state, and local civil rights laws.
…
Legalities aside, Wegmans rationale for the discrimination is wrong on multiple counts. First, it suggests that leaving a religion is offensive. ExMNA are people who have left a particular religion behind. The cake is not insulting, denigrating, or mocking the religion. It is simply stating that this group of people exists. Second, the cake was not for Wegmans, it was for ExMNA. There is no need for Wegmans to construe the cake’s message or educate employees about its meaning. Should an employee have such heightened sensibilities that merely acknowledging the existence of ex-Muslims distresses them, surely another, less sensitive employee can be found to decorate the cake.
…
We understand that this was likely the result of misguided, store-level employees. But it is the responsibility of the corporate office to educate its employees on the civil rights laws and to enforce those regulations. Irrespective of the law, discriminating against people who have left religion behind goes against the values and culture of which Wegmans is so rightfully proud.
EXMNA’s gathering is over, but FFRF is “asking Wegmans to fulfill the original order without charge and educate its employees on their duty to serve patrons without discrimination.” It’s the least the store could do at this point since the employees’ refusal to do the job marred the celebration for the Ex-Muslims.
“Apostates from Islam are regularly ostracized by their communities and families — simply for no longer sharing a belief,” says Muhammad Syed, the president of Ex-Muslims of North America. “Our mere existence is considered offensive to some, and we face threats and abuse on a regular basis. It is a shame that an American business is choosing to mirror this sentiment.”
We’ll post an update if and when Wegmans responds.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...m-group-because-their-existence-is-offensive/

Logo in question
EXMNA.jpg

As an exmuslim we are a minority within a minority with literally no support group.

UPDATE: ***Update***: Wegmans has responded saying they “should have made the cake.” They will address the issue with their store and the customers:

I used to shop at this exact store.

This is one of the most diverse areas in the country (DC Metro Area) so I don't doubt whoever answered this phone got shitcanned almost immediately.

Arkeband

Banned
This is a very strange story.

Wondering if the logo could be misconstrued as offensive, I looked it up and it looks like two moons back to back, so that wasn't it.

I don't see how store level employees would make the connection between the logo and an innocuous phrase though. I feel like there's something missing here.

Mankind will be undone by cake.

besada

Banned
It's an interesting issue, legally speaking, because discrimination based on religious belief is illegal, but discrimination based on philosophy or group membership isn't necessarily illegal. As "ex-Muslim" isn't a religion, I'd guess they'll have a difficult time pursuing any serious action in court.

beast786

It's an interesting issue, legally speaking, because discrimination based on religious belief is illegal, but discrimination based on philosophy or group membership isn't necessarily illegal. As "ex-Muslim" isn't a religion, I'd guess they'll have a difficult time pursuing any serious action in court.

So technically you can be denied services for being athiest etc?

1. Wrong link: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...m-group-because-their-existence-is-offensive/

2. There's more to this than what is shown as "offensive".

The organization's initial attempts at getting an explanation from Wegmans were unsuccessful. Finally, an employee called the group back and explained that the cake was declined because the store did not want to advocate "one way or the other." The worker said that the store has "a lot of employees who are Muslim," and that "employees may not know what this stands for."

I see what the issue is here. Imagine christians walking into a store run by christians, presents a "Ex-Christians of North America" logo with the cross skewed to look like an X, and ask for "celebration". These sensationalist articles for insensitive topic from a website that profits off non-religion is quite weird. Sure, you have freedom of speech and freedom to have a dick drawn on your cake, but the store has the right to draw whatever they want on the cake or not. Sucks that this is the scenario.

Anyways, here's the original source for this. https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/26877-ffrf-demands-a-cake-for-ex-muslims

EDIT: Logo in question is this, not what OP linked:

fslKouy.png

Hm...where is this group based? Is it possible they contacted this store knowing that it had a fair amount(if true) of Muslim employees to get this kind of reaction?

akira28

ex-muslims get a lot of flack though. I could see them getting a case if they don't already have one. not over religious discrimination but discrimination in general.

also fuck Fairfax, VA.

beast786

Hm...where is this group based? Is it possible they contacted this store knowing that it had a fair amount(if true) of Muslim employees to get this kind of reaction?

Hmmmm so kind of like if a store has lot of homophobic and lbgt intentionally order cake to get reaction.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Complex, and an issue I've had to deal with once kind of. Used to work with a woman at best buy, who when she found out I was an "apostate" complained to management.

It was a weird experience, but nothing happened to me, they just moved her to another store for this and other reasons. I wasn't even supposed to find out, someone just sneakily told me. I don't think management had any idea how to deal with something so weird.

beast786

Complex, and an issue I've had to deal with once kind of. Used to work with a woman at best buy, who when she found out I was an "apostate" complained to management.

It was a weird experience, but nothing happened to me, they just moved her to another store for this and other reasons. I wasn't even supposed to find out, someone just sneakily told me. I don't think management had any idea how to deal with something so weird.

What was she Christian ?

dankir

I never would have thought that bakeries and pastry shops would be at the forefront of religious news stories and controversies like we get these days.

Oppo

what an odd knee jerk reaction

I suppose it is consistent with atheists being one of the most despised groups around, at least in USA

Does it really matter?

Eh, you tend to not go to the beehive when youre craving honey. The ExMuslim group could be making a point of uncovering intolerance here by showing Muslims are against apostates, but with the current sentiment of Muslims in the country, it could get bad, I suppose.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This is just further evidence that many people do not understand what it means to disconnect onself from a conservative religious background and what personal price many people have to pay for it. It's a courageous act worth celebrating. And it should not be an acceptable reason for people who are happy with their religion to feel offended or to deny services.

Patryn

From the store's perspective I can see them being worried that if they made the cake it would blow up as some anti-Muslim thing. There are enough people wanting to play gotcha with businesses in an attempt to get some publicity and money.

black_13

Banned
I just don't get why some bakeries get so uptight about what they write on a cake. I mean unless it's some hate speech but other than that why even care about what someone wants written on a cake?

On another note I also don't understand why Ex-muslims want to proclaim themselves as that? I don't ever hear anybody say they are ex-christians/jewish/whatever religion or something like that. Why not just identify yourself as the new religion you're following or if say Atheist/Agnostic if you aren't following one.

collige

Banned
I just don't get why some bakeries get so uptight about what they write on a cake. I mean unless it's some hate speech but other than that why even care about what someone wants written on a cake?

On another note I also don't understand why Ex-muslims want to proclaim themselves as that? I don't ever hear anybody say they are ex-christians/jewish/whatever religion or something like that. Why not just identify yourself as the new religion you're following or if say Atheist/Agnostic if you aren't following one.
Because atheist from individual religions have a lot in common and leaving a religion can also leave you without the social network and community that comes along with it. Or just read this line from the OP:
As an exmuslim we are a minority within a minority with literally no support group.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Leaving the faith can be pretty tricky, and there are a lot of support groups out there for people having trouble with their families, community, or are just having trouble coping with being on the outside of the faith.

akira28

It's time for a nation-wide ban on cakes.

over my dead body.

"The Bakers Rebellion of 2018 was a horrible period of American history, with many parallels drawn back to the Whiskey Rebellion of the 1790s. Under President Trump, a ban on cakes, pies, and baked goods, a result from the earlier War on Terror..."

I live in Arlington, VA - next door to Fairfax. This is a very diverse area but not the place for someone to lecture a customer about a non-religious group being offensive in its existence.

_Ryo_

Would they make an atheist themed cake?
Or something for Baptist converting to Catholic or vis versa?
If so at the best they're being extremely discriminatory.

I am a resident of the state, though not Arlington so its a bit upsetting to hear this type of thing as an atheist... kinda fortunate I know how to bake my own cakes...

Guevara

I kind of can't believe how big of an issue it is to leave the Muslim faith.

Like, it's incredibly brave of this group even to organize.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
From an outside perspective, I bet it looks like all American civil rights issues are born out of cake disputes at bakeries. From an inside perspective, it might be true.

I think the issue here is the way it was framed. I don't think the bakery would have a problem making a cake for atheists.

The "ex-muslim" moniker is entirely more combatative.

beast786

***Update***: Wegmans has responded saying they “should have made the cake.” They will address the issue with their store and the customers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom