• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wegmans Store Refuses to Make Cake for Ex-Muslim Group Because Their Existence is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think the issue here is the way it was framed. I don't think the bakery would have a problem making a cake for atheists.

The "ex-muslim" moniker is entirely more combatative.
Eh. Let's say it's combatative, it's a constructive kind of combat to have. Leaving a faith and finding a culture in that shared experience is something Muslims just need to deal with and grow thicker skin about. Just the ones who have trouble with it, plenty won't!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think the issue here is the way it was framed. I don't think the bakery would have a problem making a cake for atheists.

Being an atheist and being an ex-muslim are not necessarily the same thing.

It's one thing, for instance, to have been raised without religion and thus identify as an atheist by default. It's another thing entirely to grow up in a conservative religious environment that tells you that you deserve eternal damnation and death for leaving the religion. To leave such a religious environment can come at great costs, including complete alienation from your family.

It's very understandable when people want to celebrate that they stood for the convictions despite the backlash and not just the fact that they are irreligious. These groups are also support groups for other people in similar situations, not just generic atheist groups.

akira28

The other link has nothing to do with this topic whatsoever. Stay on topic.

I'm just curious what your link was...

it shouldn't be, really. but man if you leave, in some countries you have just signed a death warrant with your name on it. It is pretty ballsy to put a name on it in America. What name would you suggest?

Moderate muslims themselves are at a loss for how to deal with their more extreme brothers. The faith needs some kind of Vatican accord or universal meeting of the imams and a binding fatwa towards peace, but...I don't really see that happening without bloodshed.

Cyan

Banned
I'm just curious what your link was...

OP linked to a totally different article on the same site with no relation to this story, MH changed the link to be the correct article, OP, presumably accidentally, changed it back, MH corrected it again. It's not that exciting.

KRod-57

Banned
They wanted to buy a cake with the group’s logo on it along with the phrase “Congratulations on 3 years!!”

You know something? I think there's a difference when they are rejecting a requested design for a cake. There is a fundamental difference between "we will not serve you THAT here" and "we will not serve YOU here"

Now, this doesn't mean I agree with their decision to not fulfill the request, however I do believe it is in their right to refuse a request like that. Take Walmart for example, they recently made the decision to not accept cake designs that depict the confederate flag. This wasn't them rejecting to do business with a group of people so much as it was them deciding not to sell a particular product at their store

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You know something? I think there's a difference when they are rejecting a requested design for a cake. There is a fundamental difference between "we will not serve you THAT here" and "we will not serve YOU here"

Now, this doesn't mean I agree with their decision to not fulfill the request, however I do believe it is in their right to refuse a request like that. Take Walmart for example, they recently made the decision to not accept cake designs that depict the confederate flag. This wasn't them rejecting to do business with a group of people so much as it was them deciding not to sell a particular product at their store

Mmm, I don't think this is a question of legality. It's a question of morality, and what is deemed to be "right". It can be an entirely personal position, where the line to serve should be drawn. Maybe a predominately black bakery doesn't want to make a "kkk 4 eva" cake. Maybe that same bakery also doesn't want to make a wedding cake celebrating an interracial couple. Let's pretend both of these actions were legal - do we, collectively as a society, find them both morally right?

That's where stuff like "voting with your wallet", community engagement, and going to the press comes in.

KRod-57

Banned
Mmm, I don't think this is a question of legality. It's a question of morality, and what is deemed to be "right". It can be an entirely personal position, where the line to serve should be drawn. Maybe a predominately black bakery doesn't want to make a "kkk 4 eva" cake. Maybe that same bakery also doesn't want to make a wedding cake celebrating an interracial couple. Let's pretend both of these actions were legal - do we, collectively as a society, find them both morally right?

That's where stuff like "voting with your wallet", community engagement, and going to the press comes in.

Article seems to categorize the incident as discrimination, which I do not believe is accurate.. legally speaking at least, it is not discrimination.

The morality discussion is an interesting one, because there are various scenarios you can apply to the topic, however, regardless of which groups are involved, the law must be applied equally. If one group can deny a design because it is a political affiliation they do not agree with, then so can the people of other political opinions. The law does not play favorites when it comes to political opinion. The law says you cannot deny a person service for their politics, race, religion, ect

but again, to deny a specific cake design is not one in the same as refusing to do business with an individual. I'm sure if the ex-Muslim group wanted to put "happy birthday" on their cake, there would have been no issue

SURGEdude

Complex, and an issue I've had to deal with once kind of. Used to work with a woman at best buy, who when she found out I was an "apostate" complained to management.

It was a weird experience, but nothing happened to me, they just moved her to another store for this and other reasons. I wasn't even supposed to find out, someone just sneakily told me. I don't think management had any idea how to deal with something so weird.

They should have fired her ass on the spot for being a bigot.

I come from Wegmans ground zero, actually bought groceries there today, and I have to believe this is the fault of a lone employee and not the attitude of the corporation.

disco

What is with people getting so offended about cake designs?! Every other week some patisserie seems to get their knickers in a twist over a request!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom