• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the pros and cons of your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett

Mine: Brazil

Pros:

People here are happy, warm and enjoy life even with all the problems.
The women are gorgeous and feminine.
It is a wonderful country to nature lovers.
Diversity: We have all religions, races and ideologies and we live in peace and respect the differences.

Cons:

Violence. You have to take care everywhere you go.
Mentality: Brazilians think they are smarter than others because they have a very low self steem. This fucks the country in a long term.
Lack of opportunities: Currently it is very difficult to have financial independence. The wages are low and the life cost is very high in some cities like Sao Paulo.
Corruption: It is spread everywhere, from the simplest things to the most dangerous ones. Almost everybody is corrupt and people are starting to think it is normal.

What about your country?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Pros:

wkd.shania.jpg

hockey.jpg

image_38692.jpg

Cons:
celine.jpg

Kandinsky

Pros.

-Stable economy
-Some of the most beautiful places in the world
-Weather
-Great opportunities
-Aliens

Cons.

-Earth activity (aka tremors, earthquakes, etc.)
-Pollution (Stgo.)
-Pinochet
-Aliens

Let me try this -

Pros:

Peaceful
Weather
[Can't think of much else, really]

Cons:

Ugly men
Bad economy
Fucked up mentality
Wait, fucked up everything

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
We have all religions, races and ideologies and we live in peace.....

....Violence. You have to take care everywhere you go.
Haha, I just thought that was funny.

Pros:
-We are rich rich rich! So spoiled with our warm/cool and clean houses, good food, good cars, etc, etc, etc. I'm very thankful for it all.

-If you don't like something, generally you can move to a different state where things are completely different.

-We have almost every culture and all their delicious foods

Cons:
-Country heading down the crapper in it's political moves, if things continue as is there will be big problems.

-Wealth leading to media saturation leading to overly individualistic worldviews developed from vicarious entertainment/fantasy worlds leading to the replacement of interdependance with social dysfunction even down to the family unit causing low morale, lack of respect and common decency toward others and overly selfish and political mindsets with no mind for the deeper and ultimately more important aspects of life. This is only worsened when people get distracted by the fatuous pursuit of wealth, materialism and sensual pleasures.

-The overabundance of communication of thoughts with little quality to most and little ability to challenge each has allowed postmodern deconstructionism strong influences throughout the culture, but without the strength of proper discernment and rules of logical fallicies to keep it rational. So everyone has different views but most are very irrational/illogical being based on false equivocations and have far too much importance placed on them. So if you aren't both sharing in some activity (the most popular of which are self-desructive) with someone, you're probably arguing about who is right about something without any sense of purpose or reason for doing so. This one is just annoying.

Pros:
- Blue skies
- Clean air
- Laid back attitude
- Diverse cultural make-up
- Natural beauty of the bushland
- Kylie Minogue
- Guns are actually illegal
- Americans can't handle our beer

Cons:
- John Howard lubing up regularly for Dubya
- Technologically about a year behind the rest of the developed world
- Only two cities worth living in
- Steve Irwin
- Paul Hogan
- English tourists polluting Sydney's Eastern suburbs
- The nutbag with the beads who stalks up and down George Street

Socreges

Banned
fart is gay, too? Someone ought to make a 'Ok, so who ISN'T gay?' thread.
-Fightnfire- said:
Cons -

Freedom makes alot of ignorant asses

USA
I'm tempted to just say "Oh, the irony.." and then continue on, but that just pisses people off. So I'll just acknowledge that, in fact, it isn't "freedom" at all that makes Americans ignorant.

I could have easily written paragrahps about what makes some American's ignorant asses, but I figured to sum it up with "freedom". Another great PRO of the USA, the abiltiy to voice your opinion ... AKA freedom of speech.

Kon Tiki

Banned
-Fightnfire- said:
I could have easily written paragrahps about what makes some American's ignorant asses, but I figured to sum it up with "freedom". Another great PRO of the USA, the abiltiy to voice your opinion ... AKA freedom of speech.

Unless you're gay and you voice is saying 'I do'.

Alot more is involved than just saying "I do" A Gay person can stand up all day long and say "I do." It wont mean shit, but they can say it.

Socreges

Banned
Lots of countries have the same degree of "freedom" and yet they don't share the same problem, or at least not to that extent. Like you said, paragraphs could be written, although identifying freedom as the summary word just doesn't follow.

I can agree that the word is loosely tied, I guess I meant the type of freedom we enjoy.

Sorry Society, thats a touchy subject with me :D

Ill Saint

Australia

Pros:
Weather

Cons:
John Howard
Too laid back at times
Isolated

Plus most of what ScientificNinja said (minus Kylie Minogue, blech).

The type of freedom that allows people in jail to have color tv's. That allows PC *(politally correct) to rule the airwaves. That fines Howard stern but does not fine Orca winfrey for having the most sexually expletive show about teen girls and rim jobs ... The fact that 9/11 happened and weve gotten panic stricken about flying and terrorism. Two kids get in a fist fight at school, the school breaks it up and kicks them both out of school solving nothing. Just escalating the problem to knifes or guns. I make the connection in my head and call it freedom.

Don't get me wrong I love freedom and am very very thankful for all of our veterans who fought for it. But at times, I think it gets used to much as an excuse for other things.

Socreges

Banned
-Fightnfire- said:
The type of freedom that allows people in jail to have color tv's. That allows PC *(politally correct) to rule the airwaves. That fines Howard stern but does not fine Orca winfrey for having the most sexually expletive show about teen girls and rim jobs ... The fact that 9/11 happened and weve gotten panic stricken about flying and terrorism. Two kids get in a fist fight at school, the school breaks it up and kicks them both out of school solving nothing. Just escalating the problem to knifes or guns. I make the connection in my head and call it freedom.
What an interesting connection. :)

Pros:
- Blue skies
- Clean air
- Laid back attitude
- Diverse cultural make-up
- Natural beauty of the entire country
- Peter Jackson
- Guns are 200% illegal
- Americans can't handle our Vodka
- Very very safe
- Trial market for some exciting new products (EFTPOS for example)

Cons:
- Only two cities worth living in
- People think we're an extension of Australia (I love Aussie but it's annoying when people think my country is part of Australia)

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I live in the country of San Francisco.

Pros --
- It's never too hot and never too cold
- You really don't need a car to traverse it unlike pretty much any other U.S. city
- Wireless all over the place
- Seals
- Lotsa intellectual types and diversity
- So liberal it makes your eyes water

Cons --
- Rent's high
- Gas is high
- Still no jobs really
- Go downtown and it's like you're walking on a carpet of homeless bums
- Forget about saving any money
- PG&E = worst utility ever

Australia: -- basically a copy & paste of ScientificNinja's post with a few additions

+ Clean air
+ Laid back attitude
+ Diverse cultural make-up
+ Natural beauty of the bushland
+ Guns are actually illegal
+ Americans can't handle our beer and the wildlife animals
+ Koalas
+ Aussie Rules Football -- best sport in the world
+ Sport! Sport! Sport! Sport! -- For a relatively small nation (population wise), we kick ass in heaps of sports!
+ Mark Webber
+ V8 Supercars
+ Our women are amongst the hottest in the world
+ Beaches

- John Howard lubing up regularly for Dubya
- Melbourne weather for the most part
- Underworld gangs -- which is kinda ironic, I guess, considering my avatar
- Steve Irwin, Paul Hogan, Dame Edna, Eddie McGuire and Merlin from Big Brother
- The time difference from most of the world -- Euro 2004 matches start at 2am!
- State rivalries
- Not a fan of our accents to be honest -- though it's not as bad as New Zullends
- Collingwood Magpies and it's yobbo supporters

Socreges

Banned
Meier said:
I woulda kept it but I saw samus4ever said essentially the same thing two replies prior.
Hm, what he said is nothing like what you said. Why don't you just go with 'I realized how terribly arrogant and bogus it was'.

ElyrionX

Pros:
Low crime rate
Clean environment
Technologically up-to-date

Cons:
Goddamn weather (its perpetually hot and humid around here)
Homes and cars cost a bomb
Most people are too ignorant and parochial
National service (all males go through 2 years of service in the army when they hit 18)
Surrounded by lame countries

Fusebox

Banned
Socreges said:
Why don't you just go with 'I realized how terribly arrogant and bogus it was'.

More like he didnt want me to pop a stitch laughing, that was a heaps funny call Meier. :D

cvxfreak

fenekku-gitsune said:

Pros --
- You really don't need a car to traverse it unlike pretty much any other U.S. city
- Seals

Cons --
- Rent's high
- Gas is high
- Still no jobs really

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
fenekku-gitsune said:

Pros --
- Seals

Cons --
- Rent's high
- Gas is high
- Still no jobs really
I Believe These Newses

Pattergen

USA

PROS: We can do whatever the fuck we want.

CONS: We can do whatever the fuck we want, which is heavily influenced by greed, racism, elitism and ignorance. Yay!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
United States

Pros:

- Despite the plethora of issues and problems past and current, the execution of the United States constitution and bill of rights has remained by and large good, with glaring exceptions that to date, are eventually dealt with - no matter how much bitching and screaming that Pure Real and True America Under God is being destroyed each and ever time.

- Despite complaints about "PC" there's a great amount of genuine freedom of speech and signifigant sections of American society are critical about things that deserve a very critical analysis.

- A great history of musical innovation producing a wide range of music, both homegrown and fused of styles from around the world.

- The "melting pot" of the formative years has produced a wide range of regional and cultural variations; reflected in everything from music to food. For all that it may be a "mutt" as far as other parts of the world is concerned, it's a dynamic and unepected mutt that surprises you again and again.

- Great contributions have originated from the US and still do, as the spirit of invention does live despite the image often created by (and in spite of the efforts of) faceless corporate entities.

- The US and those who live here have done a great deal to put the Internet forward as a new communication tool and social environment. While certainly not all, at least a good deal of the best stuff on the Net originates from Americans, across all genres.

- The physical location of the nation is a fantastic one. There really are fewer places to live which have the variety and quality of natural resources and climates. Some of the greatest natural wonders on the planet reside on the North American continent.

Cons:

- Due to the success and profitability of the US, there is much corruption at various levels of government and business, and let's face it: more so than many parts of the world, the dollar is God to a huge number of Americans. Money is great and all, but too many utterly worship it and a culture of incredibly shallow greed has emerged at higher levels which is hurting the profitability of the very substructure which made those huge profits possible in the first place. "Yuppie" culture and its offshoots have made people judge the worth of person by their job status and earning power.

- There's rampant anti-intellectualism in places, with a "good old boys" mentality, reflected in the worship of "manly" sports which are practically a religion and replace academic achievement at high school and college. Many people sneer at anything "intellectual" of a flavor other than the hamfisted, boilerplate "wisdom" of pundits like Rush Limbaugh.

- By the same token, Americans are almost a plague upon the Internet - there's a rampant cultural bias that the Internet is essentially a Playstation game, utterly meaningless, and is basically a big joke for anything other than ordering CDs and videogames from Amazon and eBay. While there's no shortage of junk users from around the world, a certain demographic based in the US does seem to have a field day using the Internet as their personal playground. Fine American "enterprises" such as websites and their fandoms devoted to doing nothing other than tearing other users of the net apart (and sometimes, literally dispatching their groupies to harrass and attack target sites with spam and junk posting of forums) are commonplace and plenty of ironic net-hipsters think this is the coolest thing ever. Of course, this could also be a mechanism for people with no balls to feel like big people online.

- There's a general culture of cynicism in place with seemingly an entire generation of Americans. While some legitimate critcism may come from this camp, it is also frequently a lot of self-indulgant nihilistic, passive-aggressive whining, using things like "political correctness" as an excuse for people to be raging assholes and pretend they're fighting for some bleeding edge rebel cause by being anti-social jerks.

- The government has issues, deepset ones that even a mere change of president won't fix. Many fundimental issues are brewing in the US and ready to boil over - and have been for a long time - but too many people are fixated on a status quo that allows this to continue. There's a "good old days" mythology in place for many, where all that's needed to fix problems is to develop MORE of a stranglehold on society and try to ram-rod it into a mold that a Moral Minority see as a holy grail, and a One True Way.

Socreges

Banned
Meier said:
That part might be true but the second term certainly doesnt apply.
In other words, "everyone else hates America because it is the best country in the world". That isn't bogus? Really? At least you admit that it's arrogant.

LusDekkar

tracky_dacks said:
Australia:
+ Sport! Sport! Sport! Sport! -- For a relatively small nation (population wise), we kick ass in heaps of sports!
We do spend alot of money on sports and sport development programs. But it's always worth the money when we beat those poms and kiwis :D

Just some other stuff i'd add to the list
+Water (safe and clean straight from the tap in Melbourne, don't need bottled or filtered water)
+Sport events and Festivals (F1, Tennis, MotoGP)
+Air is nice :D

-Public transport is abolutely crap... If i took public to uni it'll take me 3 horus one way, compare that to a 30min drive....
-Tv is crap, mostly B grade US stuff
-Kiwi money.... Don't you just hate it when someone pays you in kiwi coins? Why do they have to copy us, it's the same size and shape, but worth so much less (ok not by that much..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom