• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are You Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzim

B000002BE9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

c00181.jpg

I forgot how amazing these albums were.

B0000DD797.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Travis - 12 Memories

To tell you the truth, I didn't much care for this album when it came out last year. I gave it a very brief, cursory listen, and didn't touch it again until a couple of days ago. I can't stop listening to it now. I think that being a huge fan of Travis' previous work made me not like 12 Memories initially. It had a much different sound. But really, in listening to it numerous times, it still sounds exactly like Travis. It's their signature sound. Just a little poppier and rockier in places. Though some songs sound like they'd be right at home on their other albums; I could definitely see "Quicksand", "Re-Offender", "How Many Hearts" and "Mid-Life Krysis" on The Man Who, and likewise, "Paperclips" and "Love Will Come Through" would fit perfectly on The Invisible Band. My favorite song would have to be "Somewhere Else". I love how the music just all comes together for that track. Great rhythm, great melody, chord changes... you name it. Very highly recommended.

Damn, maybe I should have just started a whole new thread for my mini-review. :\

Jason

Been listening to the Amplitude soundtrack for the past few hours. Fun, fun game.

Also lots of Stars and Metric since I'll be seeing Amy and Emily tomorrow. :)

White Man

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, by The Prodigy. Not sure what to make of it, yet. It's definitely not groundbreaking, but it sure is skilled and fun. Some incredible tracks on it.

Inches, by Les Savy Fav. ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sluts of Trust - We are All Sluts of Trust
Vetiver - Vetiver
Ween - The Pod
Devendra Banhart - Oh Me, Oh My...
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
The Bronx - The Bronx
Ink & Dagger - The Fine Art of Original Sin
Les Savy Fav - Go Forth

fart

Savant
Jason said:
Been listening to the Amplitude soundtrack for the past few hours. Fun, fun game.

Also lots of Stars and Metric since I'll be seeing Amy and Emily tomorrow. :)
you know you're recording that, right?

i'm listening to myself sob quietly because i went to see bourne supremacy over sufjan stevens

i'm going to be listening to myself slit my wrists in a second.

fart

Savant
Lambtron said:
Uh, buddy, isn't that Sufjan Stevens and Joanna Fucking Newsom?

I'll slit yr wrists for you.
WHAT??? I MISSED JOANNA TOO?

FUCK WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

ok see i didn't go because i had to study but i got fucking tired of studying so i went with some friends to the movies because those don't last until 1 in the morning BUT THEN IT DID ANYWAY PLUS IT SUCKEDFUCKFUCKFUCK

Substance

Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends A bit sterile in places, but I've always liked S&G's folky choirboy style, and the songs here are sharply written and and very intelligently polished. Somewhat of a concept album too.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited Upon first listen, Dylan's wildly delivered poetry is so dense and surreal. But it's just so pinning, and ingenious in its unravelling. Always a satisfying listen. Ballad of a Thin Man is the favourite.

Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin On The decadent funk album. Oh man, this is nothing like 'Stand' Nearly every dark track on Riot drawls druggily. The deep funk sound is delicious, but I'll always pitch it as a night album. I picked up some Paul's Boutque and 3 Feet High samples from the record too. Very cool.

Other Great albums in rotation from this week.
Led Zeppelin s/t
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
The Doors s/t
Love - Forever Changes
Paul McCartney - Ram
Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
David Bowie - Scary Monsters

Falch

Agalloch - Pale Folkore
AGALLOCH_PF.JPG

Explosions in the Sky - Those who tell the truth shall die, those who tell the truth shall live forever
441378.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
B0001ENYKS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's great, like Blondie mixed with The Kinks. Pop Rock is too rare these days, though it seems to me making a sort-of comback.

Fear Before The March of Flames - Odd How People Shake
B0001NBN5M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Gatsby's American Dream- Ribbons & Sugar
B00009LVZY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Armor For Sleep - Dream to Make Believe
B00009EIOC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
B0000B00HY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Bled - Pass the Flask
B0000A4GHE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Coheed and Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade
B000063NCW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Same stuff as the last who knows how many threads.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Elysian Fields - Dreams That Breathe Your Name
B0001NBMOE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Cooper Temple Clause - Kick Up the Fire and Let the Flames Break Loose
B0001CNRES.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Morning Jacket - Acoustic Citsuoca
acoustic-citsuoca.gif

element

g35974vlfau.jpg

The Killers - Hot Fuss
I'm a little late on this one. Good stuff.

g25148e1tkg.jpg

The Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
I like listening to it for fun.

i haven't been listening to much tunes recently :(

moist

Diablos said:
ewww

Is that a real pic or is it photoshopped?

real

It's the lead singer, he killed himself and when the band found his body they took a picture and used it as an album cover.

Pattergen

Godspeed you black emperor - skinny fists
Rentals - Seven More Minutes
Seaweed - Spanaway
Self - Selfafornia/Breakfast with Girls

I just saw Sufjan Stevens and Joanna Newsom the other night. Joanna was the second act to perform. I got there just in time to see her uncover her harp, which people around me thought was going to be a bass... She was tuning it for quite a while. She stunned the crowd a bit by getting up and starting off with an a cappella while clapping-- the crowd eventually joined in.

Her recorded work does her voice no justice. You have to see her live to really get the full effect of her unique voice.

Sufjan Stevens was the last act to perform. They were awesome-- came out in those scout uniforms. Members of the band rotated from keyboard to xylophone to guitar for some reason. The girl on the xylophone was cute. Stevens chatted a little bit after some of the songs, explaining them and their region, he congratulated Lance Armstrong. Soft spoken, humorous guy but also seemed a bit timid or shy. They played mostly stuff off of Michigan and a few off of Seven Swans. They also played a song called ‘’Chicago’’ which will probably end up on his Illinois album. They finished off by singing a rendition of the national anthem in sort of the same hushed sleepy style as their other stuff. Sufjan came back out for a solo encore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom