• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

Just finished Hyperion, some bits I loved others I hated, I know its was originally published in 89 so im not sure if it was ever intended to be a 2 parter, if it wasn't then the ending was exceptionally bizarre
although I was laughing out loud picturing them walking to probably heading to certain doom singing "we're off to see the wizard".

Probably get started on the second book tomorrow.

SolKane

humansmoke.jpg

Started this today.

phoenixyz

Just finished Hyperion, some bits I loved others I hated, I know its was originally published in 89 so im not sure if it was ever intended to be a 2 parter, if it wasn't then the ending was exceptionally bizarre
although I was laughing out loud picturing them walking to probably heading to certain doom singing "we're off to see the wizard".

Probably get started on the second book tomorrow.

I am sure it has been said multiple times in this thread, but avoid the two Endymion books at all cost.

fakefaker

Finished up Tales of Toytown(its 158 pages) by S.G. Beaman tonight. My gf wants to read it so I wanted to get through it quickly. For a children's book I thought it was cynical, slightly bitter, and racist. Oh, and full of child like fun too.

Gonna go next with 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami since it's bigger, hopefully cynical, slightly bitter, and less racist.

1Q84_jacket.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm making my way through The Stress of Her Regard. I'm really struggling though. The book just hasn't been able to hook me. I don't find it remotely suspensful or exciting in any way nor do I care for any of the characters.

I'm having a similar problem with Tim Powers. I'm reading Three Days to Never and it's kind of a mess. Muddled plotting that seems stuck in low gear, characters whose actions rarely make sense. There are some neat ideas here and there but I'm in no hurry to read anything else by this guy. Very disappointing, considering the acclaim he gets. Maybe this is just one of his weak ones?

Pau

A while back someone recommended me a "good" romance novel (Cyan?) but I can't for the life of me remember the title of it. Anyone know?
I'm not Cyan, and your question is already answered. But I'm using this as an opportunity to shout: THE BLIND ASSASSIN.

Nymerio

I'm having a similar problem with Tim Powers. I'm reading Three Days to Never and it's kind of a mess. Muddled plotting that seems stuck in low gear, characters whose actions rarely make sense. There are some neat ideas here and there but I'm in no hurry to read anything else by this guy. Very disappointing, considering the acclaim he gets. Maybe this is just one of his weak ones?

Yeah, I really like the general ideas of The Stress of Her Regard but everything just so uninteresting. I'm 90% through the book and it's going soooo slow. I hope I can finish it today so I can get started on something else. I'll keep my distance from Powers for now though.

Just getting started with this and I love it:

California by Edan Lepucki

synopsis from Goodreads said:
The world Cal and Frida have always known is gone, and they've left the crumbling city of Los Angeles far behind them. They now live in a shack in the wilderness, working side-by-side to make their days tolerable despite the isolation and hardships they face. Consumed by fear of the future and mourning for a past they can't reclaim, they seek comfort and solace in one other. But the tentative existence they've built for themselves is thrown into doubt when Frida finds out she's pregnant.

Terrified of the unknown but unsure of their ability to raise a child alone, Cal and Frida set out for the nearest settlement, a guarded and paranoid community with dark secrets. These people can offer them security, but Cal and Frida soon realize this community poses its own dangers. In this unfamiliar world, where everything and everyone can be perceived as a threat, the couple must quickly decide whom to trust.

A gripping and provocative debut novel by a stunning new talent, California imagines a frighteningly realistic near future, in which clashes between mankind's dark nature and irrepressible resilience force us to question how far we will go to protect the ones we love.

What do you guys think of Taipei by Tao Lin? I'm thinking of picking it up. I've been in the mood for something new lately. So if that is not good, what are some of the recent books that you've liked?

Loxley

Saint Nazaire: Operation Chariot - 1942

Iso7GZc.jpg

After watching the episode of Jeremy Clarkson's War Stories on this ludicrous operation (undertaken by the British to destroy a massive dry dock under control of the Nazis) I had to check this out. Man, if ever there was an event from WW2 that deserved to be dramatized on screen, it's this one. The way it actually played out...you couldn't make this stuff up.

currently focused on these two:

520837.jpg

208284.jpg

and The Conspiracy Against Humanity as an ebook. :(
I hate digital reading, you can't make notes of any kind. And yes, book lovers, I do molest your precious paper books. MUAHAHAHA!
(it's just easier, and I bought them so fuck it. Yolo? )

Just finished the Veronica Mars book. Nice and quick read, feels just like the tv show.

18209454.jpg

Now looking for something new. Might pick up SHIFT after seeing it on the previous page. Didn't know WOOL had sequels, read that one a month ago. Or maybe the next James Bond novel, read Dr. No last week and still have the rest of the books on my Kindle...

Nezumi

Finished:

faded_steel_heat1.jpg

I liked it better than the last one in the series, but the ending felt too rushed for me. There were so many different parties involved in the plot that it got hard following them. A problem I think the series has since a couple of books.

Next up is:

Tyrants_Law_Daniel_Abraham.jpeg

I was already halfway through this but put it aside for Words of Radiance. Happy to return, since I really like the books so far.

Still listening to:
738.jpg

Even though I'm almost crawling through the book at a snail's pace this might just be the best book I'm gonna read this year. I just love everything about this.

Nymerio

Finished The Stress of Her Regard. Started out pretty good but ended being a chore to finish.

Just started The Twelve

keGrInU.png

Only a couple pages in yet though.

jtb

Banned
finally got around to reading Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. had read "Car Crash While Hitchhiking" (which I loved) some time ago so I don't really know why I've been putting it off, but once I got started reading it, I just tore through it.

brilliant book. I can see why those who love it really love it.

Pau

finally got around to reading Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. had read "Car Crash While Hitchhiking" (which I loved) some time ago so I don't really know why I've been putting it off, but once I got started reading it, I just tore through it.

brilliant book. I can see why those who love it really love it.
I went to a student art show recently where a student did a comic adaptation of "Car Crash While HItchhiking." You should check it out!

noal

Banned
I did just write a short summary of these two titles and while trying to put images in pressed back too many times on my phone and lost the lot. I don't have the will to do it all again; sorry.

OLnW3To.jpg

IBZvzvS.jpg

I've just started reading Cloud Atlas after quite enjoying the film.

Voror

Currently reading the first book in the X-Wing series by Stackpole. Will probably continue until I finish all those.

Found a curious series on Amazon called The Traveler's Gate trilogy. Anyone familiar with that one?

Currently reading:
Fight Club with a local book club.

How do you like it so far? And did you watch the movie before reading the book?

Currently reading:

"Liner notes" - Andy Mister

tn9781581771312.jpg

A prose poem about celebrity suicides and the author's life in NOLA. Very strange, but very good.

survivor

Banned
About 100 pages into Night Film. I really don't know how to feel about its visual gimmicks. Like is having a page of iphone text messages or printout of websites articles or a criminal report really add to the story that much? Just feels like extra flair added to make it look cool but so far it hasn't improved the storytelling.
K8IgyT3.jpg

Also finished reading In The Woods. Feel like a standard Law and Order SVU episode extended into a 600 pages book with more backstory and drama between the detectives. Regarding the ending
I had no problem with the resolution to the actual case, seemed plausible. However I didn't like how the case from 20 years ago wasn't solved. I don't mind open endings in general, but in a crime mystery book, I really do want a long and detailed explanation of everything.

krrrt

I have fallen in love with my Kindle all over again since starting to use it again after a few months of barely reading.

I'm now (a day after starting it, KINDLE IS JUST SO CONVENIENT) almost done with

The Black Dahlia - James Ellroy
books

I also had the following idea when I was browsing some older editions of this thread, because they are still goldmines for reading recommendations, and noticed that a lot of the pictures don't load anymore but that people didnt write the title under or above the picture so now I have no clue whatever fantastic novel they could have been reading, loving and recommending.
Maybe make it some kind of rule for these threads to always add author and title of the book you're posting, I think it would make the archiveing of the what are you reading threads more useful by quite a large margin

X-Frame

I'm now finally up to A Dance with Dragons and I'm very excited to catch up with book readers. I have high hopes for this book!

I have fallen in love with my Kindle all over again since starting to use it again after a few months of barely reading.

It really is awesome. My Kindle and the Marvin app for iOS makes it so easy to read.

Almost done with Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. So far there's been a talking dog, a lady who shits in some guy's mouth, a sexual encounter where a woman crawls into a man's nose, telekineses and witchcraft amongst other things. I can barely make out the central plot because it's surrounded by so much fodder but I've enjoyed it mostly.

Necrovex

I'm almost done with the well-known Michael Lewis book:

Big-short-inside-the-doomsday-machine.jpg

I'll hopefully get it done tonight. As of now, I am in love with Lewis's writing, and I plan to pick up his other works. I plan to plow through this mixed-opinion Gaf gem afterwards:

American_gods.jpg

I'm also planning to read through the fourth volume of Preacher as I have it via Interlibrary Loan.

I'm almost done with the well-known Michael Lewis book:

I'll hopefully get it done tonight. As of now, I am in love with Lewis's writing, and I plan to pick up his other works. I plan to plow through this mixed-opinion Gaf gem afterwards:

That is such an interesting, well-written book. I learned more about the market collapse from there than any "in-depth" news report.

Necrovex

That is such an interesting, well-written book. I learned more about the market collapse from there than any "in-depth" news report.

It's an amazing work. I have little-to-no interest in Wall Street and its dealings. Lewis does a phenomenal job in making the book fun to read, making subprime mortgage bonds understandable, and creates a needed factual and accessible story on how the market completely crashed in 2008. I am about twenty pages away from finishing it, and I'll have to pick up Flash Boys and Moneyball in the near future.

Jintor

I'm still annoyed because no matter how much I read on the subject I still don't understand the stock market.

or futures.

Necrovex

Have you read The Big Short? It is awesome, and explains futures and options and how to short or long them.

Just completed the Big Short. Reading it made me angrier than ever at Wall Street and the U.S. Government.

Lewis is such a kick-ass writer though, and the Big Short is a book everyone should read. Tragic, have you read either Moneyball or Flash Boys?

Piecake

I'm still annoyed because no matter how much I read on the subject I still don't understand the stock market.

or futures.

With the proper investment strategy, that really doesnt matter (and might actually be a benefit). Passive index funds for the win.

Speaking of the stock market and economic collapses, Has anyone read Lords of Finance?

It looks good, but I am always wary of reading books on the great depression because ideology and politics then is still relevant today. Want to make sure I get a book that actually tries to understand what happened and not push an ideological agenda.

Just finished

metro_2033_frontcover_large_v8GNOYKLt09nJ60.jpg

after really enjoying Roadside picnic.

Anyone have any good Post-apocolyptic book ideas for me now! (I am really digging the Eastern European vibe of Metro and Roadside Picnic).

The simultaneous acquisition of a 2DS and a vehicle (no more bus/train rides) has killed my reading. Still working my way through To the Lighthouse. 3 books behind my Goodreads goal of 24 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom