• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's cause Kvothe's kawaii imouto-chan is a staler character than he is.

Steto96

Neo Member
The Corrections is his best. Freedom was okay-ish, and there's a Wallace sort of character in it, somewhat, but it's not as strong as The Corrections.
Thank you very much. I will read it during my Christmas Holidays, in a "classic" reader pose: sitting on the couch, book in one hand, cup of tea in the other.

Finished Deadhouse Gates. Enjoyed it as much as Gardens of the Moon. Now I need a long break from fantasy. Today I'm going to start reading one of the following:

qyJlfeo.jpg

IO97vHL.jpg

Leaning toward High Fidelity.

mu cephei

Reading Dragon Keeper at the moment, initially I was disappointed that the main characters were not the same as in the Liveship Trader Trilogy, but I'm about 70% into the book and im quite happy about the change. I haven't read any of the authors other books but looking at her wiki, it seems she did another unrelated trilogy to the world the Farseer and Liveship books were set in, either it was a concious decision or her writing style changed slightly in the 6 years between Fools Fate or Dragon Keeper but this book feel less frustrating that previous books.

It's interesting you find these books less frustrating than Farseer and Tawny Man; I think the standard drops significantly in the Rainwild Chronicles and I don't like them nearly as much. Hobb always has a tendency towards angst and in Rainwild I think the characters don't have enough depth to turn it into something genuine. But I still enjoyed them a lot. I've only read the first book of Soldier Son, which I thought was poor, so I can't comment much on that, but I think it was just as frustrating, with everyone missing what was right in front of them.

I think I have about a hundred physical books and another hundred Kindle in my backlog... and I have been trying to buy less this year (having moved far from the local Half Price Books helped!), however I still made horrible progress on my backlog because I keep borrowing more and more books from the local library :(

Easy access to cheap books is lethal! I've avoided getting a Kindle because I just know I'll find it far too easy to buy books on it. And I've made a big effort not to buy as many books this year, too :) Well, my backlog hasn't actually grown...

Ashes

Banned
#5 the sign of the beaver

Book five was going to be time of gifts but I got into this one and just ran through it.

survivor

Banned
1oj9s6X.jpg
ldJdZt7.jpg

Finally finished reading The Goldfinch a while ago after reading it for a long long time. It's not that I hated the book, I think the first 300 pages were actually great, but it just kept going on and on, changing direction and settings and it was really hard for me to care about these characters or whatever the hell they were doing. Reading about Decker dealing with his loss, adapting to new environments, getting high all the time in Las Vegas and all that sort of stuff in early parts was great. But adult Decker was just a chore to go through. Art fraud, marriage problems, hunting down thieves, none of that was written in an engaging way comparable to the first part of the novel.

Also just finished reading Things Fall Apart, pretty great. I'm a fan of stories that explore the changing of eras, clash of cultures and so on. There seems to be bunch of sequels to it, not sure if I will ever find the time to read them although it's cool to see that they follow the main character descendants.

You should give David Stacton a shot. People of The Book. On a Balcony. Segaki. Remember Me. A Dancer in Darkness.
This looks good, will add the Invincible Questions trilogy books to the backlog, thanks.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I cared very little for the marriage in the goldfinch.

I liked the book overall, but the fourth fifth does drag on.

eznark

Banned
Finished listening to Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Man what an awful ending.

Almost done with The Peripheral. Great so far.

Why isn't this thread in community?

huxley00

Finished Deadhouse Gates. Enjoyed it as much as Gardens of the Moon. Now I need a long break from fantasy. Today I'm going to start reading one of the following:

Leaning toward High Fidelity.

I've read High Fidelity probably 5 or 6 times (from 18-32). I've always enjoyed it, has some great perspective on relationships.

Reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe for the first time. I know, I know.

Hey, I didn't even know the book series existed until the movie started being made. I was the only one of my friends who actually enjoyed reading but the nearest library was over an hour away so my books were limited to what was on hand.

Mdot

How is the Southern Reach Trilogy? I haven't heard much about it but the pics of different editions in this thread got me interested.

KingGondo

Banned
How is the Southern Reach Trilogy? I haven't heard much about it but the pics of different editions in this thread got me interested.
Loved Annihilation, currently working my way through Authority (which is a bit slower at the beginning).

Worth giving a try for sure, just don't expect tons of answers or clarity. That was part of the appeal for me.

Mdot

Loved Annihilation, currently working my way through Authority (which is a bit slower at the beginning).

Worth giving a try for sure, just don't expect tons of answers or clarity. That was part of the appeal for me.

Cool. Going to check it out, thanks.

Here's a quick primer on whether or not you should read the Southern Reach trilogy:

- Are you physically capable of reading a book? If so, then YES.

I've read High Fidelity probably 5 or 6 times (from 18-32). I've always enjoyed it, has some great perspective on relationships.

Started it last night and made it about a third of the way through. Couldn't stop turning the pages. lol The frequent and sudden lists crack me up and have me making my own lists at the same time. I'll definitely be checking out some of Hornby's other work.

Rimshot

I've just got myself a kindle, and want to get a good book to get started with. My friend recommended me the first book of the king killer chronicle, but also a book called the Martian. Which would you all recommend between them? In the past I've had a hard time with sci fi that focuses too much on the tech, and too little on the story/adventure. Is the Martian that way?

Thank you all in advance.

Mumei

I finished reading The Assassin's Apprentice, and also read Rimbaud's A Season in Hell / The Drunken Boat. I bought an edition that has the French text as well, and I'm hoping to find an audio of the French so I can read along. It's times like this I wish I'd been more serious about French in middle school.

... Bleh.

I also started Angela Davis' Women, Race, and Class, which is demoralizing, inspiring, and educational all at the same time. There are a few factual claims that I've filed away for, "Wait, is that really true?", double-checking, but if you feel comfortable compartmentalizing claims you might not be sure about, I strongly recommend it. But then I think the ability to do that sort of compartmentalizing is necessary to get something out of anything challenging.

It was actually close between buying that and "Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday," also by Angela Davis, but I know I'll be reading that soon, too, now.

ShaneB

I've just got myself a kindle, and want to get a good book to get started with. My friend recommended me the first book of the king killer chronicle, but also a book called the Martian. Which would you all recommend between them? In the past I've had a hard time with sci fi that focuses too much on the tech, and too little on the story/adventure. Is the Martian that way?

The Martian gets lots of love here, but I really did not like it. There's plenty of tech talk, and in my review said it reads like a textbook at times, and just came across as silly in numerous ways.

For a sci-fi recommendation I'll certainly point you towards The Expanse series, and book 1 'Leviathan Wakes' if that is new to you.

For a book I've recommended in general plenty here, 'Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend' is wonderful.

Jim Butchers
Dead Beet
Proven Guilty
White Night

Man these books are soo addicting and fast paced and fun to read.

Robert A. Heinlein
Time for the Stars
I read this because it old and very much like interstellar. The casual misogyny in science fiction books of days past is sometimes hilarious and sad at the same time.

Magicans Land
Lev Grossman
Im about 2/3 way though this right now. I love modern magic books like the dresden books. Its a fun read too.

Hanzou

There was a Kindle book called Containment that was only a few bucks. A shorter Sci if book that I really enjoyed. Reads like a good movie.

My friend and I traded books. I let her borrow, "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" by Chuck Klosterman. She let me borrow, "Beautiful You" by Chuck Palahniuk. I have no idea what I am reading.

I really really want to read the Southern Reach Trilogy. I may buy Area X, €29 though...

It's only 608 pages, and that for a trilogy? I've been reading too much fantasy haha.

huxley00

Started it last night and made it about a third of the way through. Couldn't stop turning the pages. lol The frequent and sudden lists crack me up and have me making my own lists at the same time. I'll definitely be checking out some of Hornby's other work.

I'm glad you like it a lot, its one of my favorites. None of his other work really stacks up unfortunately, this is kind of his masterpiece IMO.

I really really want to read the Southern Reach Trilogy. I may buy Area X, €29 though...

It's only 608 pages, and that for a trilogy? I've been reading too much fantasy haha.

The first two books, at least, are pretty condensed experiences. And I'd argue that's largely in a good way.

I've yet to really dig into the third.

I've read two other books by him, and I'd have to agree. Man does have quite a line up now though, so I'd think at least one or two others is pretty solid.

I'll probably still look into it, but with so much to read, it's no longer as high up on the list.

Only the first chapter is good. Then the book goes off tanget with business case studies. I loved the first chapter about the lady who turned around her life though. (Regards to the power of habit)

This is true. I couldn't even finish the book. Thankfully there's a condensed "How to create new habits" chapter at the end.

Pollux

I just finished Pillars of the Earth and the First Fifteen Lives of Henry August and I need something new to read...

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just finished the 1200 page version of The Stand, I loved it. It was a huge commitment to get into because of the page count but I'm glad I did.

Favorite part :
the first fee zone commitee meeting where Fran records the minutes. Amazing look into the start of a government

I recommend this to anybody who is interested in: politics, sociology, and post apocalyptic stories.
5/5

I've only read 11/22/63, The Stand and On Writing from King so I feel like I may have spoiled myself and read the best parts of his bibliography. Going over the rest of his works the only ones that interest me are: DARK TOWER series (which I already own) and The Dead Zone.

I tried reading The Shining once and couldn't get into it.

Krowley

Just finished the 1200 page version of The Stand, I loved it. It was a huge commitment to get into because of the page count but I'm glad I did.

Favorite part :
the first fee zone commitee meeting where Fran records the minutes. Amazing look into the start of a government

I recommend this to anybody who is interested in: politics, sociology, and post apocalyptic stories.
5/5

I've only read 11/22/63, The Stand and On Writing from King so I feel like I may have spoiled myself and read the best parts of his bibliography. Going over the rest of his works the only ones that interest me are: DARK TOWER series (which I already own) and The Dead Zone.

I tried reading The Shining once and couldn't get into it.

The Stand is probably his best standalone book, and On Writing is really good, too.

11/22/63 is very good especially compared to a lot of his other recent stuff, but I think most of his early straight-up horror work (Salem's Lot, It, Pet Cemetary, Christine, etc) is better. However, if you're not really into supernatural horror, some of his best books may not be in your wheelhouse.

besada

Banned
Just finished Proxima by Stephen Baxter
qh2e4Aw.jpg

It's an unusual novel, and clearly the beginning of a larger series. It revolves around two central points: the colonization of Per Adua (Proxima Centauri's second planet), which is a tidally locked planet around a red dwarf star, and a brewing war between the Chinese and the UN in our home solar system.

In the middle of all of this, a larger mystery is discovered. One that will fundamentally change the assumptions of human society, both in regards to where they can go in the galaxy and in regards to who they are and where they came from.

I enjoyed it, although, as always, Baxter's prose is just complicated enough to convey the ideas and not a whit more complicated. In short, if classic science-fiction (Golden/Silver age) bothers you this probably isn't for you. But, if you can read Asimov, Clarke, etc. comfortably, this might be right up your alley.

I've just started The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu
srMVgdV.jpg

So far, it's mostly featured scenes from the sixties, as it sets up the main characters. I've enjoyed it so far, in part because I've never read Chinese science-fiction before, and the feel and the tropes used are different from those in the west. It's also interesting, as the book begins with a fairly harsh critique of the Cultural Revolution. I haven't gotten to the science bits, yet, really.

And next will be David Sedaris's Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls:
6SejVZK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom