• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you thoughts on FFXIV 1.0

Mondai

URL unfurl="true" media="youtube:00yQkanRVxw"]

I've seen some videos on it and even though there are some things I like(graphics mostly) , it just felt too too slow and too similar to FFXI so I can see why it failed miserably.

Played 1.0 from launch until it closed. It was a much better looking game than XIV is now, both graphically and animation-wise. The 1.0 cutscenes also completely blow the current XIV cutscenes out of the water. They looked freaking amazing. This only goes for pre-Yoshida cutscenes though. Once he took over to pave the way for ARR, they dropped the voice acted/motion captured cutscenes for voiceless, standard cutscenes (like what you'd see in a side quest).

That's about it. Visually, it lived up to the hype, everything else was dogshit. There was very little content, the world was small and barren, the leveling system was the stupidest thing ever. They took the idea of skillups from FFXI and made that the primary leveling system. No auction houses, so no real player economy, and because the game looked so good, it lagged like a mother fucker. The motion captured character animations made the game play like a Rockstar game as well, where your character feels extra weighty and the movement is slow and cumbersome.

Last edited:

Brigandier

I liked the music and errrm not a lot else it was too clunky and slow.

Graphics were good but ran like shit, Combat system was total shit, It was trying to be XI in great graphics but it failed miserably with such a bare bones launch and sluggish combat.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I didnt play it but from what I understand it was much closer to XI. If they fixed it up I would have probably preferred it.

ClosBSAS

Man, i was there day 1. Loved it. Massive world amazing graphics but yeah, slow and clunky. Plus the limitations it had lmao.

Comandr

I was a day 1 guy for FFXIV. The game was a mess - the maps? Jesus. But it had some cool ideas. I loved how versatile you could make your job by taking traits from other jobs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shoutouts to the OGs who played that shitty ass game with me for a year lol

dKP7q.jpg

SB0uC.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
awful game

but god damn was it a looker

and the music was fucking amazing

Ozzie666

Takes me back to the debates of the next big MMO, Old Republic and FFXIV. I recall all the people saying it was just a 'beta' and it would all be fixed for the release. Obviously the release was the exact same thing such a cluster. I barely remember the old class system prior to Jobs.

As people have already mentioned, the MAPS and travel were ridiculous, the Lev system was atroucious. FFXIV serves as a footnote in history, saved by ARR re-release, such an impressive turnaround.

Kumomeme

you can watch this documentary series. it is told based on fans perspective of view.

it cover from beginning of 1.0 to the end of after launch of 2.0 up to first expansion. even cover reception on forum that time.

and here is based on developers perspective of view.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
As a longtime fan of ffxi and it being the best game I’ve ever played, 14 looked to be my dream game.

It wasn’t. Not in its launch state, not in ARR, and not in any expansion that followed.

XI was the right people and at the right time.

If they had made XI with better graphics, new classes, and a jump button? That would’ve sold gang busters.

I recall on here there was some insane dick rider of the game. When we all were complaining this one woman gaffer died on that hill. I recall her being banned because even when the devs stated how bad the game is she would say the devs are wrong.

That was the best thing to come from 14 was that OT.

I played FFXIV 1.0 at launch until they started charging, then the relaunched FFXIV from ARR/2.0 until HW/3.0, then only intermittently for the story in expansions afterwards

There's no doubt that 1.0 was very half-baked and maybe 10% finished and ready on launch. The combat was terrible, the maps were huge and empty and terrible, there was basically no content at launch, and in general there wasn't anything to do after about level 20. It was one of the most botched launches Square Enix ever did of any game and that is saying A LOT

But I still think the music in 1.0 was amazing. It was one of the last game soundtracks that Nobuo Uematsu ever did for SE

Other than that, there's many reasons why they closed 1.0 and basically remade the game to relaunch as ARR/2.0

The cutscene that SE made to end the world of 1.0 and lead into ARR/2.0 is unironically one of the best FF cutscenes ever made

Though we had no idea then, this ended up being one of Uematsu's final masterpieces and one of his last contributions to FF

Last edited:

Myths

Definitely prefer the aesthetic choices, art direction and design over what followed. Not too sure much of the latter was at all functional but it seemed addressable if they’d spend more time ironing out interface flow.

Pejo

For how shit it was, at least they tried something new. I was a HUGE FFXI fan, so for me, the fact it wasn't FFXI 2.0 was already a downer. The leveling system and incredibly obtuse systems killed it outright for mass appeal.

Yoshi P saved the game at the cost of making it a WoW clone theme park gear treadmill game with Final Fantasy paint and memberberries. It was a financially sound decision, but I sometimes wonder what FFXIV 2.0 would have looked like if they kept the original vision and just improved the game instead of fundamentally changing everything.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There's no doubt that 1.0 was very half-baked and maybe 10% finished and ready on launch. The combat was terrible, the maps were huge and empty and terrible, there was basically no content at launch, and in general there wasn't anything to do after about level 20. It was one of the most botched launches Square Enix ever did of any game and that is saying A LOT

Running around wearing nothing but santa hats and subligars was peak content tho :3

Kumomeme

But I still think the music in 1.0 was amazing. It was one of the last game soundtracks that Nobuo Uematsu ever did for SE

Though we had no idea then, this ended up being one of Uematsu's final masterpieces and one of his last contributions to FF

looking back, it is such a shame that his work got tainted by other aspect of the game. nowdays he not in condition to fully compose whole game anymore. he should leave one of his final work with a bang.

Last edited:

Mondai

FFXI was bad even for its time (my opinion of course, feel free to disagree), so FFXIV 1.0 trying to be newer FFXI was always going to fail, that gameplay was just too archaic for 2013/4?

FFXI was bad even for its time (my opinion of course, feel free to disagree), so FFXIV 1.0 trying to be newer FFXI was always going to fail, that gameplay was just too archaic for 2013/4?
I remember a lot of people at the time were saying that XIV 1.0 would get better because XI had the same problems at launch. No auction house, lack of content, etc. They rectified those things for XI before the NA PS2 release, which already had a full expansion by that point.

But they definitely tried getting away with it again, and found out what may have worked in 2002/2003 wouldn't fly in 2013.

Sojiro

I thought I recall seeing at one point the original director didn't want to release it in the state it was in, but was pressured into getting it out sooner than later and the complete disaster of what that game ended up being is what happened. Do I think it would have been amazing? Not really, the standard for MMOs going forward had been established by WoW for the majority of people, but it may not have ended up getting shut down and re launched in an entirely different state.

FF XIV1.0 zones showed how incomplete the game was when it released, which had complete dead areas that they made mostly inaccessible (with some careful moving you could get really deep in these areas) by placing incredibly high level mobs that "guarded" the barren wastelands of nothingness that was likely intended to be used at some point. You would come across empty camps in these areas that were obviously meant to be filled with NPCs and quests/leves to do.

I have some nostalgia for 1.0, I played it a lot, and while I could acknowledge it was a mess I did have fun with it, The OG Moogle King fight was legitimately hard as hell and really fun (that's the last endgame thing that I remember doing in the base game) and I had fun times with the linkshell I was in. While it does have a few things it shares with XI, I feel it was wholly a different beast, kind of a crossroad game in terms of design between FFXI and WoW. Oh and whoever the fuck came up with the fatigue system was smoking some serious crack, because NO ONE playing 1.0 liked that dumb fucking system whatsoever.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I remember huge, empty, copy and pasted maps and little content in the game. Other then the graphics everything in the game was terrible. I dropped it pretty quick as it was one of the worst game I had ever played.

Oh and whoever the fuck came up with the fatigue system was smoking some serious crack, because NO ONE playing 1.0 liked that dumb fucking system whatsoever.
Oh man, I completely forgot about fatigue. That was some seriously dumb shit. It was a two pronged attempt at getting people to do content other than combat and to prevent people from completing what little content there was too quickly.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Oh man, I completely forgot about fatigue. That was some seriously dumb shit. It was a two pronged attempt at getting people to do content other than combat and to prevent people from completing what little content there was too quickly.
The thing is I don't necessarily hate the idea behind it, but the implementation was fucking awful, there should never be a system that slows your leveling rate ever. If the devs were trying to get players to switch classes/roles then they should have incentivized players by offering bonus exp rates for switching to a different class for a time being, not lowering what you earned playing a single class for a long time. I know there was a massive backlash from the players that were actually playing the game that they eventually removed it long before the re launch of the whole game.

Top Bottom