• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your opinions on the Highlander tv show?

Yay or nay?

• There can be only one

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Off with its head

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked it quite a bit, but of course the standards for genre TV were very different back then.

Still, the story of Duncan MacLeod, as a stand in for Connor, was pretty compelling, Adrian Paul is charismatic enough, and they had enough decent fights and other immortals running around that it was a fun show. Some of the more religious type stuff (encapsulated in the 4th film) weren't my cuppa, but otherwise I thought the show well done with a lot of, for the time, exotic vibes as an adventure show.

Plus it gave rise to the flesh scabbard idea, which will NEVER get old :p

Oh jeez, just thinking about this stuff is giving me flashbacks to the endless "which sword is better" or "which fighting style would win?" discussions on the old newsgroups and sword forums.

Lunarorbit

You mean the one from the 90s? I remember really liking it but like Hercules and xena I wish it had been darker

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes. In the premier. They're kinsmen.

Not just in the Premiere, they made a theatrical movie with Connor and Duncan:
3c106d7825a12e89e5deb8fc5dee78aa63ecf3eaef4ecf08e595db1251df66c2._RI_V_TTW_.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
As Ricky Bobby said, Highlander won the Academy Award for best movie ever made.

All of the sequels are terrible, but Endgame gets a pass because it's really the movie version of the series (and its sequel too) instead of being Highlander 4.

The series is a relic of that time in the 90s after Star Trek: The Next Generation became a huge syndication success and everyone wanted a piece of that. So you had stuff like WB trying to anchor their own syndicated block of shows called PTEN (Prime Time Entertainment Network) with Babylon 5, and cheap syndicated shows produced in Canada exploded. Highlander was one of those.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
First movie is one of the greatest ever. Second is shit but with a watch out of curiosity purely for Michael Ironside (a favorite of mine). Everything else is utter shit.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It was before my time, but whenever I see clips of it, it looks like some kind of parody of a TV show that would be on in an early 2000's raunchy comedy.

Spyxos

Gold Member
As a kid, I really liked the intro. The series was also good. But even then I realized that it could be better. And it didn't help that it ran in an endless loop over the years and I watched every episode at least twice.

jason10mm

Gold Member
HERE WE ARE

BORN TO BE KINGS

WE’RE THE PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!
HERE WE/THEY/ZIR ARE

BORN BY THE BIRTHING PARENT (AND ITS TOTALLY OK IF THERE IS JUST ONE) TO BE THE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED LEADER OF A HARMONIOUSLY UNITED DIVERSE COLLECTIVE OF PEOPLE

WE/THEY/ZIR'RE THE CHAIRPERSON OF THE UNIVERSE BUT ONLY OF OUR PART OF IT AS WE ACCEPT OUR COLONIAL PAST AND ACKNOWLEDGE THE STRUGGLES OF THE OPPESSED INDEGINOUS PERSONS THAT CAME BEFORE US AND WE/THEY/ZIR HEAR YOU AND WILL DO BETTER!

There, fixed it for "modern audiences" :p

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That film had mixed reviews. I remember thinking it wasn’t good and having the same conversation with someone else I worked with at the time. Didn’t they try to introduce multiple highlanders, not just those two? It got weird. Or was it the Source? Yea, I think it was Highlander The Source that sucked.

My mother introduced me to this show as a kid. I use to think it was really cool.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
That film had mixed reviews. I remember thinking it wasn’t good and having the same conversation with someone else I worked with at the time. Didn’t they try to introduce multiple highlanders, not just those two? It got weird. Or was it the Source? Yea, I think it was Highlander The Source that sucked.

My mother introduced me to this show as a kid. I use to think it was really cool.

Endgame's problem was it was a sequel to the first movie (it reuses footage from it) and a sequel to the show. But if you liked the first movie and the series, it's the only movie to watch after the original. Donnie Yen was the fight choreographer (and in the movie) and Lambert did the best he could even though he's literally blind in all the fight scenes (he can't see without his glasses).

ZehDon

I was working in a video store when this hit home video (obligatory Milhouse: remember home video!?) and I had to watch it because we had to know all the new release movies. It wasn't good, but it wasn't as Highlander-sequel bad as you might expect.

Soltype

Haven't fully seen it since the 90s but I enjoyed it then. Same with Xena and Hercules, they all had similar flavor.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Remember how big Highlander was that they even released a game on the most powerful 64 Bit System back in the day? Do the math!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I never saw much of it. I love the og film. I just bought it on 4k not long ago. Remember that anime film that came and went? I think they even got the director of Ninja Scroll to do it.

Top Bottom