• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of my dad's website for his new business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My dad made a website for his business and wanted my opinion on it.

Basically, he's going to advertise his skills at working out computer problems, I guess targetting "residental and small business users". He's going to advertise service for fixing computer and networking issues, working out security issues and whatnot. And really, he's got the credentials. He worked at Bank One for over 20 years and was pretty much one of the very most smartest guys in the IT department there, and essentially designed the network for new trading floor (a network of hundreds of pcs that has to work flawlessly, for obvious reasons. So he's no computer dummy, and he's modeling his business off of someone else who's doing a very simliar thing in another area and is supposedly doing well with it.

This is his website so far. I think he's using Dreamweaver to make it.

http://securepcs.biz

Be as harsh as you want.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Oh yeah, he also has zero experience making websites.

Ferrio

Banned
and the animated gif.

If he wants to run a buisness you gotta make it professional, that looks like something someone would smack on their geocities page.

That looks like the first website I ever made on Geocities... Back in like '95 or something. In other words, pay someone to make a decent one.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
That site sucks! Give me 5 dollars and I'll make a professional looking one for you.

Leon

Frame delimiters/separators would be nice.

The background hurts the overall look. Even if it's a pain in the ass, let him take as much time as possible to find a great background, because it adds a LOT to the surfing experience.

Create a logo for the name. It's currently the same font and the same color (incidentally a very depressing color) as the rest of the text, which, due to the lack of lines/separators thingy, seems splattered onto the site in all directions. Nothing stands out, everything's just...there. And disorganized, at the very least.

Emphasize the correct words, and especially the correct sections...There is no difference between the "Services" and the "Experience" sections, they're one right after the other, even though they're meant to show completely different things. I'd expect a link for each, maybe on the left frame. And I'd expect everything currently in the left frame in the center of the site.

EDIT : Erm...what's the deal with the Symantec box on the right?

Cerebral Palsy said:
That looks like the first website I ever made on Geocities... Back in like '95 or something. In other words, pay someone to make a decent one.
IAWTP. Spend a bit of money to make some money. The way this site looks, it has little credibility. Also avoid using frames, use tables.

pnjtony

wow, you guys are harsh, I mean the site blows and all, but just harsh guys...heh heh.

Have his use a solid color (light color, like a tan/yellow or something) and just have a logo of the business name and list services, contact info and a link to a similar looking page with credentials. That's all he'd really need. No one calling about computer help cares to know if some hacker was caught either.

It ROCKS. Takes me back to the good ol' days of the Web.

Serifed fonts arbitrarily italicized? CHECK.
Animated GIFs? CHECK.
Incoherent and noisy background graphics? CHECK.

BEAUTIFUL.

Diablos

I'm not picky when it comes to web design because I suck at it too, but noobs can still use tables and such to make a site at least look respectable. I really don't like the design, but hey, it's a start. I am sure no one will care what the site looks like if your dad is as good as you say he is. :)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Hey, while you guys are critiquing, tell me how much this website I made for my cousin's photography website sucks...

www.simplymoore.net

I should mention that the drop down menus don't function properly under Mozilla. They work best under IE.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Drinky Crow said:
It ROCKS. Takes me back to the good ol' days of the Web.

Serifed fonts arbitrarily italicized? CHECK.
Animated GIFs? CHECK.
Incoherent and noisy background graphics? CHECK.

BEAUTIFUL.

omg. I love you guys lol.

miyuru

the_daily_sucker.jpg

hahaha wtf, someone make that their avatar :p

(or PS my face onto it ^_^)

I agree, it looks pretty unprofessional. Your dad's skills seem pretty impressive, but I agree that it would be a good idea to either brush up a bit on web design or to hire someone.

Ecrofirt

Good lord, what was the email? I hope you didn't mention me, or I'll end up in a world of shit for a week.

Miyuru: Profits of what? I didn't find mention of that anywhere I checked.

Ecrofirt

Oh.

It's not like anyone buys anything, anyway. He had I think 12 people buy prison shirts, because we live right near a prison where a guy escaped out of a window that had been escaped out of 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom