• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What fighting games have the best outfits?

nitewulf

SC and DOA series. in general i think SC2's artstyle is inferior to SC's. too much "stuff", i liked ALL outfits in SC, specially mitsurugi's simple samurai garb that flowed brilliantly. and DOA has great costumes overall, hot chics in skimpy stuff, cant go wrong.

I don't think VF4 gets enough credit. While the default designs are rather plain (with exceptions, Lau's and Pai's 2P and Kage's armoured costume) once you start customising them, it totally blows the whole idea of outfits out of the water. I might have been the only one but there was always a little tinge of excitment during the match opening wondering what the next opponent would look like.

And Aoi's kabuki wig >>>> any other costume ever.

one wor.. i mean picture
dead-or-alive-ultimate-20041014003907471.jpg

aoi tsuki

i guess it depends on what you're looking for in terms of "best outfits". i like the embellished, yet believeable style SNK gives it's characters versus the more realistic style in VF4/Tekken. Of course that's not to say that character designs such as Akira, Pai, Lau, and hell... half the original VF crew don't hold special place in my heart. With the exception of Aoi and to a lesser extent Taka, the character designs took a different turn after VF2.

There's too many jackoff outfits in DoA to make it a serious contender in the above category for my tastes. (See the Kasumi overalls pic below for an example.) Or maybe the female characters' breasts are just too oversized in proportion to the rest of their body to make their overall look cohesive. As much as i like DoA as a pick up and play fighter, the blowup doll female characters do nothing to validate the game's attempt at realism, whether that was the intent on any level or not.

In terms of choice, 3D characters will always have a better selection of outfits because it's more or less a matter of simply changing polys and textures versus drawing a complete set of sprites. But i think overall that 2D characters' outfits look better, specifically SNK's.

SaitoH

Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't think VF4 gets enough credit. While the default designs are rather plain (with exceptions, Lau's and Pai's 2P and Kage's armoured costume) once you start customising them, it totally blows the whole idea of outfits out of the water. I might have been the only one but there was always a little tinge of excitment during the match opening wondering what the next opponent would look like.

And Aoi's kabuki wig >>>> any other costume ever.

I really like some of the VF4 designs, especially the ones with the heavy Asian influence.

ps. That outfit Kasumi is wearing is awful, btw. Not Tina rape outfit bad, but pretty close. Her blue ninja garb is MUCH better looking. In fact, Kasumi and Ayane's standard outfits are easily my favourite of the DOA games.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Tekken 2 onward - Jin, Kazuya, Lee...

King of Fighters 94 onward - Rugal, Iori, King...

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Cody, Guy, Gouki...

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 - Strider, Cable, Venom...

Guilty Gear - can't remember the names but they look cool

Top Bottom