• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are teenagers playing at the moment…great way to see where gaming is headed and I don’t like it won’t but.

OverHeat

« generous god »
ahdyva6.jpeg

StereoVsn

My 13 years old son asked me to play on my computer today, I was like sure!!! And what do install….fucking Minecraft and rocket league 🤮🤮🤮 the title of the OP should read one bit damn autocorrect
Yeah, my kids play Minecraft, a few other building games and that’s about it on PC side.

They also sometimes play Fortnite if I let them. Roblox is trash so that’s off the table but otherwise they would be there too.

At least they do play a bit of Switch Nintendo stuff.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
I grew up on goldeneye, Turok rage wars, there’s two games today fortnight and mindcraft. I think in high school I was willing to play a lot of different games, socom, uncharted, bad company 2. Today kids are insane their gaming journeys are Minecraft and that’s it.

Bond007

I raised my kids right. :p
JK- kids are kids. Mine play what is popular with their friends and socialize. They also enjoy proper games - the Resident Evils, Final Fantasy's, Sports games, shooters- id say i raised em with wide lens to what is available.
How i grew up- playing everything and determining for myself what i like and dislike, while also being open to different things across a variety of genres.

Last edited:
A good way to react to this, is to try to understand what makes Minecraft and Rocket League fun for him. You could ask him about this stuff, if you yourself don't get it.

And by doing that, you can maybe recommend him games that you consider to be "real" or "good", based on what tickles his brain in the same way that RL and Minecraft do.

I was playing Crazy Taxi when I was a kid (For the sake of the point, let's assume it is the same as Minecraft or RL).
If you (hypothetical "you") told me to play Policenauts or Vagrant Story, or talked to your friends about how "my son has bad taste", I would have rolled my eyes, and would just dive deeper into the stuff I'm into, and not care about your recommendations.

And if there are no other "real" games that you know that tickle his brain, people grow out of things often.

Give him time. And if he doesn't, I genuinely don't understand how your son having a lowest common denominator taste in games could bother you.
But I don't have a kid, so I will just not go further here.

Not a big deal. Although those games aren't for me, you can't say there isn't any relaxation or fun to be had with them. I can see the gameplay loop in Minecraft being very chill, especially if you enjoy exploring, gathering materials, and building. And soccer, with cars, with friends/other people sounds fun even if I don't personally play Rocket League.

At 13 years old there's still so much time to explore interests to further develop and mature taste in art/games. If those are the games or genres he's into, that's fine.

John Bilbo

Minecraft is a great game. Rocket League is fun with friends but playing it ranked online I noticed there is a steep learning curve.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't see why there's anything wrong with that. They aren't games that I'm into, but it could be like... Ubisoft games or Goodbye Volcano High. Then you'd have an issue.

What I think is more interesting is how it's games that are 8+ years old that continue to rule the roost. That's a more significant concern.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
From what I can tell, the biggest thing for kids by far is socializing. They want to play multiplayer stuff with their friends. That sounds like a good thing.

When I was growing up it was all arcades, fighting games, Golden eye versus. I like mostly single player now but I get it.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
My 13 years old son asked me to play on my computer today, I was like sure!!! And what do install….fucking Minecraft and rocket league 🤮🤮🤮 the title of the OP should read one bit damn autocorrect
I personally think Minecraft and Rocket league are leagues better than say Fortnite.

Just try hard to let him avoid Tik Tok, social media are idiotizing the young generation.

Phase

Minecraft (2011ish), Rocket League (2015). It's pretty sad there aren't any newer games holding their attention.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Minecraft and Rocket League are great games.

I would suggest not worrying too much about where games are heading or being disappointed in what kids are playing and just enjoy playing whatever your son wants you to play with him. A day may soon come when he doesn't want to spend this time with you.

Last edited:
People shouldn't act like there is anything wrong with Minecraft. It's a legit game with deep gameplay elements. Rocket League is also pretty great, we might be sick of it by now, but let's be real, we all enjoyed it for a stint. Fuck off for trashing your kid's decent taste in games. At least it's not Fortnite.

Let's also remember, there aren't that many good games anymore, something about the simplicity of older games, made them great.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

What's wrong with Minecraft and Rocket League?
Nothing, both games are good, especially Minecraft. The issues is that at least for my kids they don’t have much interest in SP games with exception of couple Mario ones, Stardew valley and a few other builder type games.

Well, and Pokémon. I did play through bunch of Hogwarts with them since they love HP, but even they they wouldn’t have played by themselves.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Could be far worse, like some VN full of nazi furries or something like that.

Minecraft is nice, like some sort of interactive Lego, and Rocket League is pretty cool too. Just tell him that spamming the chat with "what a save!" is loser behavior.

Last edited:
To be fair that's pretty good. Rocket League is an incredibly good game with a very high skill ceiling. I've never played Minecraft, but kids should be creative and it seems like a good outlet for that.

There are way worse games out there for him to be playing.

Fbh

This is just anecdotal but I don't think it has changed that much.
Back in middle school most of my classmates were into free multiplayer games that we could play together and would run on almost any PC. Back then free MMOs were all the rage: Tibia online, Mu online, free Ragnarok Servers, Pirate tales (or something like that?)....fuck at one point even Neopets was popular. That and random pirated versions of PES with local teams lol.
I'd argue Minecraft and Rocket League are way better than any of those options.

A smaller group among us were also into more traditional single player games. We still played and loved Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Zelda, etc. But at least from my experience those were never the games the average school kids were playin.

Hudo

Actually, Minecraft and Rocket League are alright games. I like Minecraft as well.

I bet LEGO hates the game, tho.

I would be worried if your kid is only playing Candy Crush on your phone and Fortnite.

StueyDuck

Member when we all installed cs 1.5 on the school computers.

Those were the days

phant0m

ngl op I was expecting any of the GaaS loot box trash that infests middle schools today, not a creative sandbox survival game or a very competent multilplayer game that doesn't treat its player base like a fucking ATM

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I'm glad that I started gaming in 1998. It was the peak.

If I had started earlier I would have bounced off it- the simple stories and try hard bullshit of the SNES era is off-putting to me.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
My kids grew u with GTA, COD, HALO. I actually made a deal with him to play Mario 64 or Zelda Ocarina of Time for $25.00 and he said they were to boring... :( I did however get him tp play some Balloon Battle in Marion Kart DS!!!

Exede

My 17 year old daughter just finished Shadow of the Erdtree but is in general more into Genshin and Wuthering Waves.
My 15 year old son is obsessed with Overwatch 2

I work in a juvenile detention portion of my county jail. When these kids get breaks, they legit jump on the ps5 and boot up Minecraft 90% of the time. We are talking hardened gang member kids…playing Minecraft 😂

Pelao

I don't play these games, but it's impressive how they're still relevant all these years later.
I had classmates in college who were playing Minecraft 15 years ago, and I still remember Notch posting updates on 4chan.
I did play the shit out of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, the game that preceded Rocket League, back in the day, though.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I always love these pics. Seeing where people put their gaming rig money is super interesting.

Personally I have never been a TKL person, though it looks like you might have a floating TK pad to the right...so not all hope is lost.

You have that wireless charger there because it has red LED's?

Top Bottom